Fuel ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alright guys I cant wait. im gonna try and fire it up. The guy I got it from said it ran last year. any advise? I really only have worked on modern saws.

Old Mac 33 not MS200T !

Thanks guys but now I seem to be more confused. Which is safest?

Lumberjach --

In the Intertec Manual #4, McCulloch recommends 1/2 pint per 1.25 gals gas
for this Mac 33.
Nice, round 20:1.... with Mac's higher grade oil! >> [16:1 otherwise]

You specifically asked about the "SAFEST" ratio.
1- we know nothing about the condition of your Mac 33. nice tight?? wore-out, high mileage?? [mechanical]
2- we know nothing about the overall state of tune. [carb / ignition, etc.]
3- nor, of your ability to tune/adjust this specific carb.

So, your point was "safety". This is NOT a new generation saw. It was,
though, built pretty substantially by todays standards. But,....

STIHL Ultra comes in the white bottle at your Dealer. Either 2.6oz's or 6.4oz's.
take advantage of their packaging.

32:1 is what you need. It's not super rich as in the old days with the 30WT ND oil. But is not as lean at 50:1, which many of todays newer saws run.
One poster is absolutely correct in stating McCulloch suggested 40:1 for years with their oil.

I always give the MOST credence to the ENGINE manufacturor requirements, and it's period of production [60's?, 90's?] as opposed to the OIL manufactuors claims and advise.
As an example, why not run 100:1 -- it's what Amsoil claims for one of their oils ???? Your Mac 33 would be most UNhappy!

This is a real difference between "not seizing or blowing up", and long term engine life. I assume you want long engine life.

32:1 w/ STIHL ULTRA . [it is Full-Synthetic]
>>> 2.6 oz's / small bottle = .65 gals. [nice small batch]
>>> 6.4 oz's / large bottle = 1.6 gals. [or half of that for 1/2 bottle]

McCulloch suggested specifically Regular grade gas! 89 grade is fine.
good reasons for this...

32:1 -- is the best "blend" between an older saw and new Syn. oil.
And, meets your primary requirement of "safety".

Tune the carb well.
Your Mac 33 will smile.

Good Luck. Let us know how it performs.

yes, but he's guessing... :popcorn:

No matter what saw I service, it gets 50:1, and I have no qualms in running it hard. The oils changed.. the engines barely did, and modern engines have more stresses.. and way back in those old days, stihl also recommend horrific oil ratios... but they changed as the oils changed, , and it had nothing to go with the EPA.

Frigg'in oil threads.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I would just call the manufacturer to find out what they recommend. I just called information to find a number in Lake Havasu City, AZ, nothing found, then I tried Los Angelas, CA, still nothing... Turns out it might not be so easy to find the information that you are looking for from the "book". If it were me, but it's not, but if it was, I would listen to Andy and Gary... 50:1 is fine, 40:1 makes some people sleep better with their chainsaws. That didn't come out right.

And yes Andy, Oil Threads RULE!!!

Call them? lol Good thought though.

Mac went bankrupt a decade or two back... The name is used to sell low end junk made in Mexico and China.

Mac went bankrupt a decade or two back... The name is used to sell low end junk made in Mexico and China.

Bankrupt, cant be! I just saw that they have a new XM saw available at lowes, home depot, walmart, or who ever chooses to sell that junk. You mean to tell me if I call they Customer Service line, they wont know what a 10-10 is?

Last edited:
What if I have 50/1? Does it have to be ultra? For now Im just tryin to crank it up. Im not goin to run it hard or nuthin. Also the draw cord is a little rusty. would it be good to throw some wd 40 on it?

I would use any good 100%synthetic premix oil. I use Elf 2T now myself. I get it at the local motorcycle shop. I used to use Mobil 1 2T, but they quit making that. :cry: Stihl Ultra is good, 100% synthetic, but it is spendy. Do not use the Stihl dyno or the dyno-synthetic mix that they also sell. They smoke too much and tend to clog muffler screens.

Also I would run it at about 45:1. Err on a tad rich in an old saw like that. I tend to run about 45:1 in my new saws for better low-end protection. 100% synthetic is low smoke, do a tad more does not seem to cause any problems for my saws.

Last edited:

Yes I know they went bankrupt. The entire city (LHC)was built by Mac himself in the 60's... But that is another story. I was simply making the point to just take the advice given, and kindly reminding people that the answers are there to most questions... And basically to listen to you guys. Oh yeah, and that it's okay to sleep with chainsaws, of course I didn't make my last post sound sarcastic enough. Plus, my job won't let me call Taiwan for information...

Not Guessing at All !

yes, but he's guessing... :popcorn:

No matter what saw I service, it gets 50:1, and I have no qualms in running it hard. The oils changed.. the engines barely did, and modern engines have more stresses.. and way back in those old days, stihl also recommend horrific oil ratios... but they changed as the oils changed, , and it had nothing to go with the EPA.

Frigg'in oil threads.

1- not guessing at all ! I know.
2- this was a specific question for an old, specific saw. And Lumberjach
wanted SAFETY!
3- there are NO awards given or medals earned for running leaner ratios.
some AS posts are written with that slant in mind. ??
4- some products do still need different ratios-- one size can fit all,
but it's NOT always the BEST. I want the best/smartest.

Question >> why do saws Drop their compression PSI over time ???
Why? What causes it???
But, not all do. Why??

50:1 >> All of the Manufacturors have spent Millions of $$$'s on meeting the
EPA requirements. I believe [4] increasingly tougher standards.
And, they have a VERY influencing factor of the Mix Ratio of oil to
gas at hand!!
And they don't touch this at all ???????????????????????
Only the very naive would believe that. 50:1 IS EPA influenced.

But, oils have improved. And, it works. But is it the best for all
engines?????? Remember the PSI drop over the years.

The oils in general did improve [Ulltra, etc.] But I will not conceed that STIHL
dino [orange bottle] is way improved. STIHL for years was @ 40:1 with this oil. Then the EPA came on the scene. Now 50:1, w/same basic dino oil.
Possibly some minor improvements. Why the change?

One can bleed Orange and still have common sense. My engines have consistantly maintained 170-180PSI since new. Why? They do get some very high-quality oil amd enough of it. And, run superbly clean! NO smoke or carbon. Exhaust ports look great.
I don't take everything Ford, Chevy, Honda, STIHL or Husky says hook, line
and sinker. The govt has altered their way of doing business.
I care to keep my engines happy -- not the Calif Air Resources Board!

More info if desired.
Thanks.

Dude... relax... you're not the first to come on here with both barrels blazin' tryin' to justify usin' an oil ratio like 32:1 or even more oil.

You can hide behind all the "EPA" stuff you want... 50:1 with newer modern mix oils is perfectly fine.

Have fun! :popcorn:

Gary

Back