Fuel Tank Capacity and Oil/Gas Ratio for Old Poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerBill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased and fixed up a Craftsman-branded Poulan chainsaw. It's a 2.0 cubic inch saw with a 16" blade. The Craftsman model number is 358.355051. I believe this saw was made in the late 80's. I don't have a manual and haven't yet been able to find one. I'm wondering if someone knows the fuel tank capacity and the gas/oil mix for this saw. I believe the mix is 16:1 based on the age. I'm trying to figure out how much oil to add per tank of gas. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I run 40:1 Klotz in my Poulan's with no ill-effects so far.

Older models like the S25DA called for 32:1.

I don't know of any saw that called for 16:1 .. that sounds like old timer stuff to me.

If you mix 40:1 synthetic you shouldn't have any issues. I run 40:1 synthetic in all my equipment (even equipment that calls for 50:1) and haven't seen any ill effects. I figured the little bit of extra oil is better for the engine.

16-1 might have been correct for the old saws up until the mid 60s running 30wt, but by the late 80s better 2 cycle oil became available, and most were 40-1 or 50-1.

I run 40:1 Klotz in my Poulan's with no ill-effects so far.

Older models like the S25DA called for 32:1.

I don't know of any saw that called for 16:1 .. that sounds like old timer stuff to me.

If you mix 40:1 synthetic you shouldn't have any issues. I run 40:1 synthetic in all my equipment (even equipment that calls for 50:1) and haven't seen any ill effects. I figured the little bit of extra oil is better for the engine.

The.Poulan 25 and S25 were indeed a 16-1 saw and it really is a old timer as it was introduced around 1971.

FWIW, I now run all my stuff on 50-1 including all the old 16-1 stuff.

When All Else Fails.....

....Read the label!! The starting instruction decal on the engine says to add a half-pint of 2-cycle oil to a gallon of gas. That works out to 16:1. So, yes, this is old school. But you guys are saying I can use the newer synthetic stuff at a 40:1 ratio and not burn up my saw or shorten it's life span? Is that the recommendation of the synthetic oil manufacturers or personal experience or ?? After restoring this thing to working condition I'd like to have it around for a number of years.

Anyone know the fuel tank capacity for this saw?

If it says 40:1 then I use 40:1. 16:1 then 16:1 it is. Don't care what oil it is. Not worth damaging a saw over a few ounces of oil and an extra can in the shed.

....Read the label!! The starting instruction decal on the engine says to add a half-pint of 2-cycle oil to a gallon of gas. That works out to 16:1. So, yes, this is old school. But you guys are saying I can use the newer synthetic stuff at a 40:1 ratio and not burn up my saw or shorten it's life span? Is that the recommendation of the synthetic oil manufacturers or personal experience or ?? After restoring this thing to working condition I'd like to have it around for a number of years.

Anyone know the fuel tank capacity for this saw?

I can probably look that up tonight. I have to wonder what all your concern is about that tanks capacity is.

You surely not thinking of mixing you gas an oil in the saws tank are you ?:ices_rofl:

Modifiedmark

Actually that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I have a fairly large capacity graduated plastic syringe I will use for the oil. I plan to (almost) fill up the chainsaw tank with gas, add the proper amount of oil, shake it all up, and start cutting. I won't use this saw much so I'd rather not have a can of 16:1 gas/oil sitting around the garage getting old. This way, I just mix what I need when I need it. I could do the measuring cup thing as Impalervlad suggested to determine tank capacity but my wife is never happy when I use household measuring cups for garage work. So I was hoping someone might know the capacity. I eyeballed the tank and I'd guess it's about 12 ozs, but that's just a guess.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and buy a 2 stroke mixing bottle if you only want to mix up a small amount of fuel.
View attachment 287088
They are cheap and come in different styles, though it may be hard to find one with a 16-1 scale on it.

If it says 40:1 then I use 40:1. 16:1 then 16:1 it is. Don't care what oil it is. Not worth damaging a saw over a few ounces of oil and an extra can in the shed.

That would not be the case at all. You will do more harm than good using that much modern oil in any saw. 16:1 was for old school oils. Any good quality modern oil is completely safe at 40:1/50:1.

I agree that mixing fuel in the saw's tank is not a great plan and I would use 40/1 mix. But you might check the Sears site to see if there is a manual there.....

I have purchased a lot of old parts on that site like transmission gears for craftsman mowers.

Actually that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I have a fairly large capacity graduated plastic syringe I will use for the oil. I plan to (almost) fill up the chainsaw tank with gas, add the proper amount of oil, shake it all up, and start cutting. I won't use this saw much so I'd rather not have a can of 16:1 gas/oil sitting around the garage getting old. This way, I just mix what I need when I need it. I could do the measuring cup thing as Impalervlad suggested to determine tank capacity but my wife is never happy when I use household measuring cups for garage work. So I was hoping someone might know the capacity. I eyeballed the tank and I'd guess it's about 12 ozs, but that's just a guess.

Thats actually like you have been told now that is one of the dumber ideas I have heard in some time.

If you dont use it that much you have to mix the oil in the saws tank, maybe you should not have a gas saw and should look into one of those new fangled battery operated saws.

You wanted the manual, well I have it and just for you I printed page 6 of it to a PDF file to post here for you. I couldnt find the tank capacity but you should read the part about mixing the fuel in a approved container and how NOT to mix it in the saws tank. :hmm3grin2orange:

Modern synthetic is much better oil than old dino oil, you do not need 16 to 1.

If you are only going to use tiny amounts of mix in that particular saw, go get you a can of premixed off the shelf for 5 bucks, like Trufuel brand, 40 to 1 is OK. Very good gas, very good oil in there already mixed up, two years shelf life.

That would not be the case at all. You will do more harm than good using that much modern oil in any saw. 16:1 was for old school oils. Any good quality modern oil is completely safe at 40:1/50:1.

Even with my cast iron bore on my pioneer? What about running 40:1 in my husky that's 50:1?

Even with my cast iron bore on my pioneer? What about running 40:1 in my husky that's 50:1?

Yes your safe in your old Pioneer. I know what your thinking, you dont want to have to have seperate mixes around. I dont blame you, thats why I just went to 50-1 in everything. I run it in some pretty old/rare/valuable saws also.

40-1 will not hurt you Husky either if that makes you feel better.

Modern synthetic is much better oil than old dino oil, you do not need 16 to 1.

If you are only going to use tiny amounts of mix in that particular saw, go get you a can of premixed off the shelf for 5 bucks, like Trufuel brand, 40 to 1 is OK. Very good gas, very good oil in there already mixed up, two years shelf life.

Thats the best way to go.

Latest posts

Back