Full Cord on an F-250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what you put "In the oilfield there is no brand loyalty, if it does not work it goes back to the scrap yard." Well if something was to go back to the scrap yard it would have had to start in the scrap yard, right? Brand loyalty to some extent but buy what lasts and gets the job done the best. Oh and yeah you wouldn't have any problems with spark plugs in a 7.3 diesel. So just questioning who actually makes that 7.3? Oh yes Navastar International does, and has provided Ford with all its stroking since 1983. I personally think the 7.3 was a great motor, minus the glow plug harness problems.

Yep, it is a good bet some if not alot of that vehicle was scrap at one time or another. Correct Navistar was the manufacturer of the 7.3 the ill fated 6.0 and the marginal 6.4. Ford makes the 6.7 and so far it has been a good engine. I have customers with 140k + on them with no failures. Mileage is fair not bad but not great. But at least they are making their own engines with no help from the government. GM cannot say that. Who makes their diesel engines for pickups? Isuzu and I for one am glad they did. I had to work on their ill fated attempts to build a diesel and it was not impressive. Even their joint effort with Detriot Diesel in the 90's was marginal at best. Oh and by the way it was not glow plug harness it was the injection harness on the 7.3 on the early models 99 in particular. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight son!!! AND like was stated a F250 will haul a cord of wood. CJ[/QUOTE]

Yep no need to even have a knife with you as you are showing your lack of knowledge on this subject. First off Navistar made the 6.9 as well starying in late 82 to answer GM's 6.2 diesel option. Second GM and Detroit have been making diesel engines since 1982 not the 90's. Third all the first diesel's were not power houses. Why? None of them had turbo's. Now put a banks turbo and a 6.2 detroit and you get a motor similar to a mildly to medium souped up 350 chevy with 20mpg. Not a bad combo. Oh and many of the 6.2 were known to have lasted over 400,000 miles. That is also why they were produced from 1982 to 2000 and most are still in use today. Keep in mind the 6.9 was only produced from late 82 to 94 and was not a widely or very popular produced engine. Forth, yes, it was the glow plug harness that had problems on the 7.3 navistars, not the only problem but a very reoccurring one. They would short-out causing all glow plugs on that side to not work rendering the engine almost unstartable. We replaced them in our shop by the droves. Fifth, help from the government was in the form of a loan all of which has been paid back in full. Please show me a company who has never borrowed money from anyone? Ford just chose to borrow from banks instead. All big three borrowed money, the only difference was from where. Sure an F-250 will haul a cord of wood that's why all you Ford guys stepped forward to show that with pics, right? Oh my bad not a single pic so far...Hmm wonder why...even the dodge boys stepped up to the plate. Talk is very cheap. Hell my half ton 85 chevy can haul 20 cords getting 100mpg without breaking a sweat while pulling a F-550 backwards if we stay in the hypothetical, and never enter the real world.

Yes, an F-250 can haul a full cord of wood

there... debate settled

whether or not its safe is up to the driver

Hey what do you know. Someone is still on topic in this thread.

Maybe the OP should have ask if a F-250 can haul a cord of firewood without spitting plugs warping the bed sides out or being a diesel. Oh wait maybe he should have thrown in that the guy used an S-10 to get in the woods and that the F-250 was delivered on a Peterbuilt.

Come on guys. Can you find something a little more unrelated to the original question? Sure it matters if the F-250 in question has extra springs, maybe has been converted to a flatbed, or even what year of truck it is. But the real question is can a cord of wood be put on a 3/4 ton truck and will it handle the weight. And the real answer is with some taller sides on the bed 128 cubic feet can easily be piled in a 8 ft bed. The biggest variable is weight as a cord of green hickory will weigh over 5000 lbs where a cord of dried balsa would weigh 900 lbs. So at some point the truck will be overloaded. But almost all of us have overloaded a truck at one time or another.

If you want to start a Ford Vs Chevy argument why not do it in your own thread and quit driving this thread as far off topic as it can be pushed?

Hey what do you know. Someone is still on topic in this thread.

Maybe the OP should have ask if a F-250 can haul a cord of firewood without spitting plugs warping the bed sides out or being a diesel. Oh wait maybe he should have thrown in that the guy used an S-10 to get in the woods and that the F-250 was delivered on a Peterbuilt.

Come on guys. Can you find something a little more unrelated to the original question? Sure it matters if the F-250 in question has extra springs, maybe has been converted to a flatbed, or even what year of truck it is. But the real question is can a cord of wood be put on a 3/4 ton truck and will it handle the weight. And the real answer is with some taller sides on the bed 128 cubic feet can easily be piled in a 8 ft bed. The biggest variable is weight as a cord of green hickory will weigh over 5000 lbs where a cord of dried balsa would weigh 900 lbs. So at some point the truck will be overloaded. But almost all of us have overloaded a truck at one time or another.

If you want to start a Ford Vs Chevy argument why not do it in your own thread and quit driving this thread as far off topic as it can be pushed?

Every once in a while I like playing with the trolls. No harm intended. The funny thing to me is I own both, and both are junk IMHO. Sorry for mucking up the thread!! CJ

Last edited:
My CRAZY buddy hauled 2/3 cord on his F150 short bed. He built a tailgate extender and had it stacked above the cab. This was all split wood. I saw him driving through town and I just shook my head. I don't know how many pieces he lost on the way but what a sight it was. He has helper springs on there as well. I know it's not an F250 but 2/3 on a F150 surely means a full on a F250 is possible.
Now if you want to haul the most wood you'll need a Cummins diesel that burns soybean oil and is equipped with an idle reduction technology and carried a 37 foot deck over 14 axles with central lube system and probably GPS. A flat screen tv helps with the monotony of hauling boring old wood.

Sorry couldn't resist a little wtf.

Ex - didn't a guy early on post a picture with 9/10th of a cord of firewood in his f250? Do you think he could have gotten another 1/10 into the truck?

How much wood is in this 78' f150? 8/10, 9/10, 10/10? If it is less than 10/10th do you think it would haul a full cord? View attachment 220176View attachment 220177

How much wood do you think is in this shortbox 1/2 ton along with the 5x10 trailer behind it?

View attachment 220182

Jaker's said it best a F250 along with the dodge and chevy 3/4 tons can haul a cord of wood.

I'm in the same camp as Steve. If I am going to buy a diesel, it is going to be a Sterling, Freightliner, etc... My dad just got a nice Sterling for $15,000 with ony 280,000 miles. I think it is an '07. He got a dump trailer to pull behind and uses the skid steer to fill it with wood. He brings home 3 loads on a good day and saves a TON of fuel compared to his Dodge 3500 hauling a comparatively tiny load.

Ex - didn't a guy early on post a picture with 9/10th of a cord of firewood in his f250? Do you think he could have gotten another 1/10 into the truck?

How much wood is in this 78' f150? 8/10, 9/10, 10/10? If it is less than 10/10th do you think it would haul a full cord? View attachment 220176View attachment 220177

How much wood do you think is in this shortbox 1/2 ton along with the 5x10 trailer behind it?

View attachment 220182

Jaker's said it best a F250 along with the dodge and chevy 3/4 tons can haul a cord of wood.

You are dang close to a cord there.....put a little more by the cab and I'd call it good.

Fifth, help from the government was in the form of a loan all of which has been paid back in full.

Wrong answer.

Report: Taxpayers still owed $133B from bailout

"General Motors Co. owes about $25 billion"

Then GM pulls this BS:
Chevy Impala Tire Problems: Class Action Lawsuit Filed

"According to news reports, GM claims that the problem is not with the faulty manufacturing of the rear spindle rods, but faulty design. Media reports also say that the company is denying responsibility because “new” GM (the company formed after the bankruptcy processing against “old” GM) only agreed to warranty obligations of cars assembled before 2009."

Way to stand behind your product GM!

I used to buy GM vehicles. Never again.

View attachment 220182

I would say that it is a little shy of a cord on the 78 . But it is a heck of a load and more wood than I see some guys around here trying to sell as a cord . I think both you guys need headache racks or at least a couple pieces of plywood . I would guess at a easy 2 1/2 cord between the two of you in the trailer pic . They are definitely pictures of a good days work . All I know is I have seen less wood on newer trucks and they sure seemed to be draggin butt more than either of those nice old Fords .

I would say that it is a little shy of a cord on the 78 . But it is a heck of a load and more wood than I see some guys around here trying to sell as a cord . I think both you guys need headache racks or at least a couple pieces of plywood . I would guess at a easy 2 1/2 cord between the two of you in the trailer pic . They are definitely pictures of a good days work . All I know is I have seen less wood on newer trucks and they sure seemed to be draggin butt more than either of those nice old Fords .

Yeah I agree having a piece of plywood or a headache rack on both wouldn't be a bad idea at all. They add the benefit of not breaking the back window while loading, but also offer the added safety of pieces not coming through the back window if your in an accident.

Your probably not too far off with your 2 1/2 cord estimate between both trucks.

View attachment 220182

First the F-250 with about 3/4 cord yes he did post a pic. If you look close you can see where the gas can is sitting at that should be filled with wood. Second the sides do not have wood stacked against them in the pic so I would venture to say about 3/4 cord.
attachment.php

Now the F-150 neither one has a cord, again about 3/4 cord. A full cord will be stacked from just over the cab to the rear tailgate, and has to have side-boards to stack against. You stack against the side-boards and just over the cab and you will have a full cord on an 8ft bed.
attachment.php

Found this pic just for you bcorradi. Now here is WidowMakers Ford, think its a 97 F-350 with 7.3L though. This is what a full cord will look like on a truck.
206169d1320708037-verns-ld-11-2-11-medium-jpg

First the F-250 with about 3/4 cord yes he did post a pic. If you look close you can see where the gas can is sitting at that should be filled with wood. Second the sides do not have wood stacked against them in the pic so I would venture to say about 3/4 cord.

Now the F-150 neither one has a cord, again about 3/4 cord. A full cord will be stacked from just over the cab to the rear tailgate, and has to have side-boards to stack against. You stack against the side-boards and just over the cab and you will have a full cord on an 8ft bed.

Found this pic just for you bcorradi. Now here is WidowMakers Ford, think its a 97 F-350 with 7.3L though. This is what a full cord will look like on a truck.
Ok I thinking adding the extra row on the tailgate brings it up over a 3/4 of a cord. It may be 8/10 or maybe 9/10th..but there is no reason why I couldn't get a cord in it. I'm not going to make sideboards for it and measure it out to just to prove to you the 78' f150 can haul a cord. I know in my mind and yours that it can definately handle a cord of wood. The wood that is in the back of the 78' is green wood and not seasoned wood so there are a lot of variables when it comes to wood in the back of a truck. If the wood was seasoned a cord would weigh considerably less than what I have in the truck in the pic. Most of the time when I get wood I use my 93' with that trailer to get wood and I can get plenty of wood between the two to make each trip worth while.

Also aren't most full size trucks approx 5 1/2ft or more across the inside of the bed? I know mine is 50" between wheel wells. It measures 67" between the racks/stake pockets so shouldnt that mean you don't need to be a full 4 ft high to have a full cord? Talking about full size long bed trucks.

Right on

Sure like everything else things differ from state to state, however I hold a Class E (exempt) Non-commercial veh. over 26,000lb, in New Mexico:D

Roy
I live down the road from a state police and DOT head quarts I take my equipment by to make sure every thing is all right but some people think they don't know there job and why would I care what my the guy down the street drives and hauls. I notice on here people are up set over what other people drive. I had a old ford I drove for years a 1997 and my wife made me sell it good old truck. Now I drive GMC that's what I got the best deal on there gray that's fine. I needed a small truck I got a good deal on a Nisson my wife wanted a new car she got a good deal on a Chevy. I
guess I am bad that I don't drive a ford or dodge. Thanks Roy for that info Illinois has the same thing. my wife can't drive my big truck but she can drive every thing under 16000 plates.

Last edited:
Also aren't most full size trucks approx 5 1/2ft or more across the inside of the bed? I know mine is 50" between wheel wells. It measures 67" between the racks/stake pockets so shouldnt that mean you don't need to be a full 4 ft high to have a full cord? Talking about full size long bed trucks.

Yes your correct...but he truly believes in this thread that no one can get a cord of wood into anything less than a 3/4 ton 73-87 chevy truck. Eventhough the wood he has in his truck is probably well seasoned cottonwood, but ohh well.

I live down the road from a state police and DOT head quarts I take my equipment by to make sure every thing is all right but some people think they don't know there job and why would I care what my the guy down the street drives and hauls. I notice on here people are up set over what other people drive. I had a old ford I drove for years a 1997 and my wife made me sell it good old truck. Now I drive GMC that's what I got the best deal on there gray that's fine. I needed a small truck I got a good deal on a Nisson my wife wanted a new car she got a good deal on a Chevy. I
guess I am bad that I don't drive a ford or dodge. Thanks Roy for that info Illinois has the same thing. my wife can't drive my big truck but she can drive every thing under 16000 plates.

Good deal you are comfortable with the trucks that you now drive..the whole point of the thread is that a certain guy doesn't think a ford f250 (disregard if u like another manufacturer) will hold a cord of wood in its box and I think not only will an f250 will hold it but I know an 78 f150 will hold it. I'm not saying other manufacturers can't do the same, but I'm just saying in my opinion I know my 78' ford f150 will.

Latest posts

Back