Gas mixture?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One issue is storage... that many saw owners use gas that is months sold. If you use fresh gas I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference, but (and I don't have the reference in front of me so jump in, or on me, at will) that gas mix looses about 1% "octane rating" per week of storage, so start higher. No idea if this is just "initial losses" or how it progresses over time. I do know that old gas is the primary reason we have a vibrant service business!

I just use 92 with NO alcohol... and don't worry about it.

I've only got two saws, and just cut my own firewood. I run 93 octane always. For as little as I run them its a small expense compared to a saw repair or replacement.

Lakeside53 said:
One issue is storage... that many saw owners use gas that is months sold. If you use fresh gas I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference, but (and I don't have the reference in front of me so jump in, or on me, at will) that gas mix looses about 1% "octane rating" per week of storage, so start higher. No idea if this is just "initial losses" or how it progresses over time. I do know that old gas is the primary reason we have a vibrant service business!

I just use 92 with NO alcohol... and don't worry about it.

Bad gas is indeed great for repair business, the old "did you leave fuel in it for months "ususally gets right to the probelm. A month or so a ago a young guy brought in a fairly new saw and said it doesn't run right, something is wrong with it. I had a helluva time getting it to start but when it did it made a strange smell. Looked in the fuel tank and saw some strange looking yellow gas. Took one sniff and bingo, diesel oil and gas mixed. Its amazing what you find in a saw's fuel tank at times....................

Hmm, even 92 isn't a great intelligence score.

I remember the constant of proportionality being different depending on what brand of saw you own. It was greater than one if you owned a husky or stihl, while it was less than one if you owned a wild thing or crapsman.:rockn:

Big Woody said:
I remember the constant of proportionality being different depending on what brand of saw you own. It was greater than one if you owned a husky or stihl, while it was less than one if you owned a wild thing or crapsman.:rockn:

Woody when ya coming to get that saw we talked about, I'm getting tired of shining it up everyday and you never come to get it,lol..........

THALL10326 said:
lol, you crack me up man. How are you and your pic enemy been getting along? How long have you two been going at it now? You two post some funny pics................
Ha ha ha. I do run standard fuel in my saws. I've never graced them with any higher octane fuel. As far as I can tell, they run like raped apes (that is the saying no?) all the time. Stillblasted is mia methinks. He'll turn up soonererlater though.

spacemule said:
Ha ha ha. I do run standard fuel in my saws. I've never graced them with any higher octane fuel. As far as I can tell, they run like raped apes (that is the saying no?) all the time. Stillblasted is mia methinks. He'll turn up soonererlater though.

You and him are the only two guys I know of that have pic wars, I love it. I laff my butt off at some of the pics yaw use to torment each other...........

THALL10326 said:
...I use 87 all the time...using 87...

Thall...smaller Poulan saws call for 87 octane...you're not one of those "closet" Poulan operators, are ya? :D

Elmore said:
Thall...smaller Poulan saws call for 87 octane...you're not one of those "closet" Poulan operators, are ya? :D

does thall like green saws? :hmm3grin2orange:

Elmore said:

Hello Elmore where ya been ole feller? Nope I'm not a Poulan operator but if 87 is good enough for the green machines its good enough for me,lol

lovetheoutdoors said:
does thall like green saws? :hmm3grin2orange:

In a way I do likem, they get me a awful lot of sales, a bunch. Course I always have to toss em in the dumpster but hell for a sale I don't mind,hehe

THALL10326 said:
In a way I do likem, they get me a awful lot of sales, a bunch. Course I always have to toss em in the dumpster but hell for a sale I don't mind,hehe

Never thought of it that way....a poulan would pervoke anyone to buy a stihl.

Fuels with a higher octane rating burn more smoothly then the lower grades, generally have a little lower RVP (reid vapor pressure)then the lower grades, so there less likely to vapor-lock and boil off in the hotter weather.

In all, to get the higher "M" octane rating, it just has to be a more consistent fuel, that quality can give a performance edge by yielding more power with a cooler cylinder and exhaust gas temperature.

At what, 10% more coin?

lovetheoutdoors said:
Never thought of it that way....a poulan would pervoke anyone to buy a stihl.

I get a bunch of them all the time. Soon as I say no parts its a done deal, off to the dumpster they go..................

Based on the information presented, I'd have to say you'd be about two octanes shy of the required amount of octanes.

Latest posts

Back