Getting my 25 acre wood lot timbered this winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that's a great blend. We had a guy look at our 40 acre lot and he was interested most in the big maples saying that's what the cabinet makers are looking for. Mostly red oak maple some popple. On a 3 acre lot we had a few trees taken out mostly big red oak and big popple to pay for a culvert and gravel driveway then we cut a bunch more big popple to mill spec (10'6") and the logger guy doesn't even want them for free. Says there's no money in it for him to pick them up. We have more than enough saw logs(maple, oak,ash) stacked up for burning in the next few years.

Wow that's a great blend. We had a guy look at our 40 acre lot and he was interested most in the big maples saying that's what the cabinet makers are looking for. Mostly red oak maple some popple. On a 3 acre lot we had a few trees taken out mostly big red oak and big popple to pay for a culvert and gravel driveway then we cut a bunch more big popple to mill spec (10'6") and the logger guy doesn't even want them for free. Says there's no money in it for him to pick them up. We have more than enough saw logs(maple, oak,ash) stacked up for burning in the next few years.
I have a very small amount of popple, spruce, white oak, and ash. So little that I didn’t even mention it. Those I want to increase in the stand so I’m precluding those from the cut.

It's crazy to think 30-40 10'6" popple logs 16-28"dia are not worth a guys time to take to mill when we don't even want the money and it's easy pickens
That’s surprising as popple makes a great trim wood free of knots that takes paint better than most.

It's used to make pallets that's about it in michigan. Basically a nuisance tree. I read an article that once they logged out michigan in the 18-1900's the tree took over as it grew much faster than the trees that were cut and choked everything out.

Well good luck I bet it will be exciting to say the least. Covid killed the selective harvest of our 40 acre parcel we have and flooding since a tributary of the flint river splits the parcel in half.

Deer prefer the white oak acorns over the red from what I seen. Any ash in michigan are no bigger than 4-6" from the eab wiping them out
Biggest reason I want the white oak to increase as the beeches almost never fruit, the red oaks could be taken out in a disaster at anytime (foreign made), and mast trees are such an important food course to wildlife.

It's used to make pallets that's about it in michigan. Basically a nuisance tree. I read an article that once they logged out michigan in the 18-1900's the tree took over as it grew much faster than the trees that were cut and choked everything out.
Funny thing is my logger said the red oak goes to pallets (low grade). Firewood is at all time highs though!

Yea a couple 600$ veneer logs most were 20-50$ but he paid us to take I'm sure he kept some logs to himself but he had the equipment. I think the low grade went to pallets as well. He took most of the tops for welfare wood I guess he gets paid to deliver firewood from government. There's a pic of our driveway/landing and the 40 acre parcel. You can see how it floods which prohibits logging. We have a 200' by 6'w footbridge we built spanning the floodplain

Attachments

• IMG_20190917_173119183_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190917_173119183_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20211202-205912_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-205912_Gallery.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 0612201441a.jpg
    0612201441a.jpg
    848.2 KB · Views: 34
Yea shimmy down my chimney and leave that 620 under the tree for my Xmas gift 🤣. I'm all stock. Waiting for the warranty to expire before I get crazy. So far so good. That cs 400 is a great saw for the $ can't wait to open her up.
I did put a 32” bar with a full skip but I probably shouldn’t drill out the cat just yet because I don’t want to kill the warranty. It’s a nice saw and glad I got that deal before inflation starting messing everything up. Thanks Brandon.

I've been looking at the 620pw, they say it's real wicked for the size and $. I got a couple 590s but guys say the difference is night and day between the 2. I looked at the 7310 and it was to big cause I'm a little guy 5'4 140 so the 620 size to power ratio is great from what I have read.

I've been looking at the 620pw, they say it's real wicked for the size and $. I got a couple 590s but guys say the difference is night and day between the 2. I looked at the 7310 and it was to big cause I'm a little guy 5'4 140 so the 620 size to power ratio is great from what I have read.
I gotta look up prices now just cuz I’m curious. I went through checking out all those models as well on my search and was either going with the P or Pw. p it was cuz the price was right. The bar I have on now is just a tad heavy? Haha.

Latest posts

Back