going bigger. ms460 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go B.I.G.

I say forget em both. Hell I gotem both and neither one see much use. You got a 026 and a 361. The next choice should be a 660 and be done with it. Thats a perfect three saw set up and all the saws you will ever need no matter what your cutting. Ya get a 7900 or a 460 mark my word you will want more power later on. Go ahead and get the big boy and never look back.

I'd listen to Tom on this. He speaks with wisdom.

That right, well hell. Let me tell ya sumthing ole boy. I got the 046, nice saw, bout 11-12 yrs old now, never had a issue with it. Got the 7900 too, haven't run it all that much but its a powerhouse, it will boogie. Got the 372 as well, runs good, leaks like a bi-ch but still runs good. Fired up one of my never started 660's a few weeks ago for the first time. What a shock. First tank of fuel and it will walk on past all of the other three with ease. Hell its not even close. Weight wise, yup the 660 is heavier but think for a moment, outside of falling and bucking part of the tree none of these big saws are going to see as much use as the smaller saws. Thats why ya got the smaller saws,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

i am there with you mr. hall. besides the weight issue, unless the 660 "falls off the delivery truck", it ain't gonna happen.

btw: i want a 460 almost as much as a nice 038m2! right now i seems to be swaying toward the 7900. lot of folks dig it!

Bone stock the 660 isn't anything special. Sure it's a little bit faster in 28" hardwood than a 7900, but not by much, plus the 7900 is quite a bit lighter. For me the next step would be an 880 or 3120.:cheers:

Last edited:
i am there with you mr. hall. besides the weight issue, unless the 660 "falls off the delivery truck", it ain't gonna happen.

btw: i want a 460 almost as much as a nice 038m2! right now i seems to be swaying toward the 7900. lot of folks dig it!

Man, I was right where you are a few months back, It's a struggle, almost as bad as which drunk chick do I want to go home with on a late Saturday night(that's all BS) but I wanted a 460 bad, but he 850 bones just didn't seem to make me want to jump, after I finally got a test drive of a 7900 from a nice amish dealer near me, I was sold. I ran a 460 at a GTG a couple months back right next to the 7900, to me there wasn't much of a comparison, that 7900 does put a smile on your face. I payed 636.00 for mine 7900. As I've said before more performance than the 460 for the $$$$ of a 361:cheers:

Get a 660 and be done with it. With a 361 the 460 is still a wee bit close. I had a dolmar ps 510 and thought a 460 would be enough. I wound up with a husqvarna 3120 which I'm using for milling. Go big.

MGF

You only buy it once. A year from now you won't care what you paid.

A 660 with a DP muffler....priceless.:cheers:

Bone stock the 660 has isn't anything special. Sure it's a little bit faster in 28" hardwood than a 7900, but not by much, plus the 7900 is quite a bit lighter. For me the next step would be an 880 or 3120.:cheers:

Agreed.

My 660 was dog when stock. Thing was just lazy feeling. It still pulled a 36 in hardwood pretty well though. Put a dp on it and it feels a bit better. Now that mine is ported it is an animal.

i found them plus or minus a few beans. i figured the prices i got were fair. what do they normally run?

Around here, the 7900 is just under $700 and the 460 comes in at a tad over $850. Of course, there's alway that Lowes-6401-Piston-Swap-to-7901 thing hanging out there too.

Back