Got a load of Elm, thinking about getting a MS 290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was debating the purchase of one a few months ago and had some good and some bad feed back from many here on AS ( thanks to everyone for their input).
Long story short I broke down and bought one ; my dealer gave me a great deal on it so I went for it. As a firewood saw for the guy who is going to cut a few cords it is a great saw ; it is on the heavy side.
Mine cuts great with 18 inch bar.
Is it a ported saw , not even close but a muffler mod seems to have helped a little.

Just my input for the original question.

Really no need to buy new when good used works and there are so many deals out there. A good shape pro saw, to me, is money better spent over a new clamshell saw.

Heck, you want a deal, for the same loot as a new farmboss you could find a used pro saw plus a new earthquake to your door.

edit: just looked at the trading post here, nice husky 372xp for dang close to that new farm boss price...no contest....

Last edited:
I brought home a nice load of elm last night on my flatbed trailer. There are three more loads where it came from. The picture is slightly deceiving. There is actually quite a bit of wood in the pile. There are several large pieces in the 28"-30" range. There is also a lot of stuff in the 10"-20" range and some around 20-26", a good variety.

View attachment 323036

For the last three firewood seasons I have been using an Echo CS400. It's not the most powerful saw but it gets the job done. Sometimes it takes longer than I want it to. It does good in 10"-16" rounds but anything bigger really drags it down. I actually cut everything in the picture with the CS400, including the big stuff. Still have more of it to buck up, though. I usually stay away from anything over 20" only because it takes the Echo so long to get through it. I feel if I had a saw with more power I could go after some of the larger wood.

I would like to buy a saw that has more power. I dont think I need anything bigger then a 18" bar. I have been thinking about the MS 290 Farm Boss for a while but also like the MS 261 CM. I called the local Stihl dealer today. He is running a special on the MS 290 Farm Boss until the end of the year for $389 plus tax with a 18" bar. The MS 261 CM is $619 plus tax. He said you just can't beat the MS 290 Farm Boss for power to price ratio. The only thing I use a chainsaw for is cutting wood for the wood stove. The Echo has done a fine job the last couple years but I would like to have something with more power. I want to cut more wood in the same amount of time I spend now.

I know the 261 is a pro saw so it is a lighter saw. The dealer told me that the 290 will do all the work that the 261 will do but it's just a little bit heavier. But I won't be using it all day everyday. It is only going to be used as my personal firewood saw. What are your thoughts on the two saws? It is a $230 price difference. I also considered the MS 391 which is $579. As the dealer told me you can't beat the Farm Boss for it's price to power ratio. He told me he sells 2-3 MS 290's per week.

Thanks

Nice pic - but where's the snow?

I think the 290 is a better fit for your situation, given the big price difference. I've actually got my eye on a used one here for $225.

But what do I know - I also really like my ms250 POS. ;)

FIrst, you talked about the 290 and 391, they are basically the same saw. Just a different piston and cylinder. Also in that family is the 310. I have run a 310 since 2000 and find that it is the saw I use the most. I did send it to be modded two years ago. It is now a 390 that is ported. Made a big difference. You can start with the 290 and if you find you want more, have it modded to a 390 and get the additional power.

You should be able to cut just about anything you run into - except the reall large trees(Over 36") with no problem at all. Is it a little heavy?? Yes. Does that weight justify spending $250 more for a "PRO" saw? Not in my mind. I think when you need a "PRO" saw to work big wood, you are looking at something like the 066 I have. It normally has a 36" bar and I don't think I have run into more than one or two trees it could not handle.

The best advice: Get a saw that will do the job you need done and can afford.

Hal

I had a 029 super, 025 and a ms 250 and they are fine saws for ocational firewood cutting, but now that I've upgraded to a ne 346 instead of the 250 and a 372 instead of the 029 I've never been happier. It has enabled me to cut faster and bigger wood I could have only dreamed about cutting before. Nothing wrong with a good used pro saw if you trust who you are buying it from. They last a long time if maintained properly. :chainsaw::chainsaw:

So wolfcsm,
Why is it that people stihl think that their old MS 290 is the same as a new MS 391? They might share the same spark plug?

I'm with Maple on the ms250. With the right chain and bar the MS250 is an amazing saw for its weight while you are climbing through a dropped tree hacking off the limbs. Any saw is a good saw if used in it's correct setting. A 660 is terrible for overhead limbing and a 250 is the last saw you want to be felling trees with. That's why you need at least 3 saws on hand of various sizes or in case you can't get one to start in an emergency. I will bet good money that not a single person in this forum has only 1 or 2 saws.

I'm with Maple on the ms250. With the right chain and bar the MS250 is an amazing saw for its weight while you are climbing through a dropped tree hacking off the limbs. Any saw is a good saw if used in it's correct setting. A 660 is terrible for overhead limbing and a 250 is the last saw you want to be felling trees with. That's why you need at least 3 saws on hand of various sizes or in case you can't get one to start in an emergency. I will bet good money that not a single person in this forum has only 1 or 2 saws.

Are you sure about that? We only have 2 saws and for years, we just used 1 saw. We just can't afford to have multiple saws like alot of people on here. Would we like to have more saws, well yeah. I would love to have a nice limbing saw but just can't justify it right now. And I would say there are many others on here with just 1 or 2 saws.

Back to the topic at hand, I would go for the 290. That saw used to be Stihl's best selling chainsaw for a reason.

BRAVO!!!!! Marc, brother that's one of the best video's I've seen on practical noodling...masterful job sir!:clap:
btw...think my Stihl 034 with 20 inc bar/chisel chain can do that????

Thanks Reggie, with a light touch on a 16"-18" round I think you could do it. It takes RPM's to keep the chips clear. Lately I've been cutting a lot with my 2153 that just got woods ported and it is surprisingly a good noodling saw. A ported 034 Super would be an amazing saw... I also do a lot of noodling with my 111s setup with a 28" .404 b/c but the kerf is so wide I end up with more chips than firewood!

So wolfcsm,
Why is it that people stihl think that their old MS 290 is the same as a new MS 391? They might share the same spark plug?

The 290/310/390 family are the same. Don't know about the 391. Like the 291 and 311, the 391 is an upgraded version of the older saws. have never had a reason to find if the 311 and 391 share the same frame and have different P and C, as the 290/310/390 family did.

Perhaps you can share some information on the new 291/311/391 family.

Hal

Are you sure about that? We only have 2 saws and for years, we just used 1 saw. We just can't afford to have multiple saws like alot of people on here. Would we like to have more saws, well yeah. I would love to have a nice limbing saw but just can't justify it right now. And I would say there are many others on here with just 1 or 2 saws.

Back to the topic at hand, I would go for the 290. That saw used to be Stihl's best selling chainsaw for a reason.

I concur. Two years ago I started wooding with a $250 used MS 290. It was able to cut everything I needed. Now that saw has been sold and I have 4 new pro saws at nearly eleven times the investment, and I stihl cut the same amount of wood! :eek:

Damn Arboristsite!

So, for my needs a MS 290 is equal in firewood production to a MS 192 T C-E, MS 260 PRO, MS 261 C-M VW, and MS 441 R C-M.

The 290/310/390 family are the same. Don't know about the 391. Like the 291 and 311, the 391 is an upgraded version of the older saws. have never had a reason to find if the 311 and 391 share the same frame and have different P and C, as the 290/310/390 family did.

Perhaps you can share some information on the new 291/311/391 family.

Hal

www.stihlusa.com

For a limited time both the farm boss and all "1" saws are up. You can see first hand for yourself.

I concur. Two years ago I started wooding with a $250 used MS 290. It was able to cut everything I needed. Now that saw has been sold and I have 4 new pro saws at nearly eleven times the investment, and I stihl cut the same amount of wood! :eek:

Damn Arboristsite!

So, for my needs a MS 290 is equal in firewood production to a MS 192 T C-E, MS 260 PRO, MS 261 C-M VW, and MS 441 R C-M.

Yep, me too, I cut less wood with more saws, the 95 yr old lady who owns the farm I lease moved in with her daughter and doesn't need her 5/6 cords per year.

And I have two more new to me saws on the bench, just had to work on some Huskies. To think I came on AS looking for help with repairs on an old home made splitter. If I had just stayed in the firewood forum and stayed out of the Chainsaw forum.

Back