Got a load of Elm, thinking about getting a MS 290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to push a specific brand, I have Jonsered, Husqvarna, Stihl, Poulan, & McCulloch saws. I would encourage you to look for a saw in the 60-70cc range to go along with your echo.

As far as what to look for with a used saw:
1 - Compression. Should be > 140 psi
2 - Is it easy to start?
3 - Does it run well while cutting?
4 - Does it have trouble idling?
5 - If you are able to remove the muffler, use a flashlight to look through the exhaust port & check the piston/cylinder for scoring.

Yep, me too, I cut less wood with more saws, the 95 yr old lady who owns the farm I lease moved in with her daughter and doesn't need her 5/6 cords per year.

And I have two more new to me saws on the bench, just had to work on some Huskies. To think I came on AS looking for help with repairs on an old home made splitter. If I had just stayed in the firewood forum and stayed out of the Chainsaw forum.

I started the same way looking to revive an old homemade splitter. Saw a GTG about an hour away so I thought that would be cool to check out. Had two saws then. Have I think 9 now. If only I would have stayed in the firewood section!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

When I was somewhere between 13 and 15 (I don't recall exactly and I ain't old enough for this C.R.S. yet...) Dad bought bought an O39 and it was the only saw we had outside of Grandpa's Mac 35 (think hand-held trencher). It was our only saw until I bought my old 55 Husqvarna at 16-17. Those were then all we had until I found A.S. We then bought a 346xp and a 660. ALL of them were great saws and made me a bit of money, a lot of muscle and a fair bit of work ethic at 10-15 cords/year. Once I got a bit smarter about saws, I muffler modded and re-tuned that O39 and it found a new gear. It wouldn't quite keep up with WOLFCSM's 311 (or most of the rest of his toys for that matter), BUT it would pull a 20" bar in Hedge with authority. I would wager that it pulled better than my 562 does now by a decent margin in 18"+ wood. They have all since burned up in a truck fire, but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. The 290/291 can be found on many if not most farms/ranches in KS. They account for a lot of heating and Hedge posts for assorted fencing needs.

The 291 isn't bad at all and will likely do what you want. If you get rid of the Echo, the 290 would be a good saw for you. If you keep it however, do yourself a favor and buy a 60-70cc saw, even if it's a mid-grade. A 311 can become a 391 and with a M.M, can be a very solid performer. That 660 would be a "Stihl" of a deal at $600.00 as my old one with the exact same 2 bars and a hand-full of chains each, was a bit over $1300.00 after taxes. It might be a bit more than you need, but you might be surprised. The last time I was in Buena Vista and the Cascades outside of the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs, we had to clean a few trees that the state said had to go on Dad's land. Of those four saws I had, the 346xp and O39 went, because that's all I needed. I would bet that a good 60-70cc saw with a 40cc backup would do a lot for you. See if you can find a John Deere (Efco) CS62 and if not, I'd also look hard at the Echo 620P as a few farmer friends have them and like them very much and most of the wood we cut is a bit harder than Pine, Elm, Ash and Spruce. It's the same price as that 660 and that new 261 but it's more manageable than the former and more capable than the latter.

I guess what it comes down to is size: If you're hiking in a ways and/or not cutting over 30ish inches routinely a good 60cc saw (or 70 for the right $$$) might be the way to go. If you're routinely seeing 30"+ stuff and not hiking a lot, 70+cc is Definitely the way to go. If the bigger logs in your picture are the exception to the rule/or you're hiking a lot and normally bucking 20" and less dia wood, a strong 50cc saw will do you fine. Ultimately what do you "normally" intend to cut and how much. 50cc is for 16" and less in hardwood (although they will do more). 60cc is for 12-24" wood, 70-80cc is for 20-30" wood and 90cc +/- is for 28"+ wood for me anyway. For Soft wood, the sizes can slide to the right a bit. The other trade-off (generally) is that as the displacement of the saw gets larger, it's cutting speed is inversely slower, until it's cutting beyond the limits of a lower capacity saw. M 372 with a 7-pin rim would spank my old 660 with a 7-pin, until it gets to 28"+ wood. That's where the 660 shined. Change the sprockets and things change bit though.

I apologize for the novel, but there seemed to be a lot of 290/291 bashing/praising and not a lot of honest capacity perspective for your consideration.
Have a great day and good luck with whatever you decide!

Nice supply of heat you've got piled up. Do the dogs go cutting with you? I have to hang a cowbell on my Great Pyrenees so I can keep track of her, some days I just leave her home. Of course there isn't much point in arguing who makes wood smarter, uses better saws, hydraulic-kinetic-Fiskars...noodling. We make wood because we enjoy the work and being out in the woods. Sell a little bit to fund the saw habit, this year just over 17 cord and I burn another 7-8 myself. My offer of a friendly wood making competition is serious, afterward we'll drink beer and BS saws. And to keep it fair, when you have to stop and rest between swings I'll quit sawing:)

The older dog (in my Avatar) would be fine as he can just chill if I took him woodcutting, the young one is like trying to catch smoke in your hands. In 30 seconds he can be several hundred yards away. So they don't go with. They are pheasant hunting dogs.

MarcS, you make a several good points.:bowdown:

It is human nature to think what one does is better than what everyone else does. This applies to techniques, brand loyalty (think of saws) and even political views. Once one purchases, uses something it is reinforced and the mind rationalizes it is better since you are using it and you wouldn't do something dumb, right?:popcorn:

I too cut firewood for something to do in the Winter because Wisconsin kind of blows this time of year. I would move South in a heartbeat, but that idea went over like a sack of wet cement with the wife as the grandkids are 100 miles away. This year I sold all of last years firewood and bought a splitter. In the past I thought the Fiskar X27 was like magic wand sent from God compared to an 8# fiberglass handled maul I'd had for 20 years. Now with hydraulics, the Fiskars is OK and use it to bust up rounds I can't lift. If I can't split it, then I'll noodle it. BTW a 372XPG does a pretty good job of noodling too.:chainsaw:

The snow is getting deep here now and the 2 spots I am cutting that were just logged are steep making it almost impossible.
So tomorrow morning I am meeting a landowner with 140 acres that has been logged and he gave me the go ahead start cleaning it up, as you can see I am almost out of wood.:laugh: BTW, that whole pile is 130' long, the frame of the pics didn't get it all.

I would say then in your situation, being so remote, 100% plan on being your own service tech. And also, get saws where it is easier to get aftermarket parts mailed to you.

Here is site sponsor Terry Landrum

http://www.wickedworksaw.com/index.htm

I bet if you contacted him, told him your budget, you could get a pretty nice saw to your door.

I own an 024 an 026 and a poulan pro 336 54cc and I have only run a 290 for a day. I would definatly get the 026 before a 290, forget about the 024. out of all those saws I actually like the 336. if you search this site long enough you will see a recurring theme that points you to an nmurph husky 346. I agree with mike from maine and the guy who said be ur own tech, repair manuals are cheap easily downloaded and parts are available all over the web. another poster said keep the echo and get a 60-70cc saw and I couldn't agree more because that's where this hobby always goes

I own an 024 an 026 and a poulan pro 336 54cc and I have only run a 290 for a day. I would definatly get the 026 before a 290, forget about the 024. out of all those saws I actually like the 336. if you search this site long enough you will see a recurring theme that points you to an nmurph husky 346. I agree with mike from maine and the guy who said be ur own tech, repair manuals are cheap easily downloaded and parts are available all over the web. another poster said keep the echo and get a 60-70cc saw and I couldn't agree more because that's where this hobby always goes

Pretty much...for 400 brand new and only buying one saw..hmm..you can get a 590 echo timberwolf for that, 60 cc, split mag case saw. Would need ye aulde muffler hawg out and limiter cap jazz, but they all need that, near as I can see going on what is being reported around here with various models.

Poulan pro 5020AV, still under 200 bucks to your door, earthquakes, refurb huskies a-plenty out there, whatever redmax models or that echo. All viable options 400 or under for a simple saw that works.

I still say your best day to day saw deals are right here on this site in the classifieds. And this site is the best tech support.

Buy the best saw within your budget............
You may want to take your question over to the Chainsaw forum. Those guys will talk you in to a 362 or something similar. ;))

lol the guy lied to you the 261 will cut circles around the 290

and for everyone who says the 290 is as good as the 261 , has a 290 and wishes they had a 261

and for everyone who says the 290 is as good as the 261 , has a 290 and wishes they had a 261

Yeah OK. My neighbor just got a new MS 291 18"er. After break in, I'll bet it will give my MS 261 C-M VW a run for its money. Both mufflers stock, and won't be moded. Yes I think the 291 is waaay better than the 290.

Latest posts

Back