Great Prices on Dolmar Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the situation is that no saw company is perfect. No dealer is perfect.

I can understand Stihl sending saws to huge arborist companies like Asplundh etc. They are pro companies, do their own in-house service and only have a 90 day warranty anyway.

As for rental companies, they pretty much have to be some sort of dealer. They usually service their own equipment and Stihl rental warranty is what 30 days?

It's like a John Deere dealer, our local one isn't even a dealer for the engines in the equipment, they get all the engine parts from JD. This is especially funny when they try to sell a customer a new starter to fix a $6.00 gear that a 7 year old could replace.

I say anything that is good for DOLMAR is good for me. I don't rely on them for all of my equipment but they are my exclusive hand-held brand. Just like OREGON is my exclusive aftermarket OPE parts and cutting products company. I've ridden the cosater for the last 14 years with DOLMAR, if they don't screw up and continue to stand behind their dealers we'll be fine. The IDN network is a big help. I get my stuff in a day. If i need it badly, my sales rep will drive to the warehouse and pick it up. He's brought stuff to me on a Sunday. He'll help customers unload and load equipment. That is what makes me believe in DOLMAR...not so much the Parent company but the fact that i've been 100% satisfied with my end of the service.

DOLMARatOs said:
If Dolmar dealers want Dolmar to flourish and start grabbing a real chunk of the Pro saw market, then we need more dealers. If dealers are "fighting" each other by selling saws at a discount online then it is harder for a new dealer to get a foot-hold. That being said, it's always good for Dolmar if the saws are moving out of the warehouse and into the customers' hands.

This is the double edged blade. I personally cannot bring myself to sell a new saw via mail-order ie internet sales. I want to show the customer all the points of interest and operation and just how to use their saw. Professionals don't need their hands held but most non-pros do. If a customer got hurt because they didn't know how the safety devices worked or the saw for some reason malfunctioned upon initial start-up...it isn't worth the profit from 100 sales.

I follow the advice and paths of Stihl dealers. No blow MSRP advertising, saws must be picked up in person and no selling in the box stores.

My $0.02 worth
Nice post.

Good thread.

I have mixed feelings about selling via internet.

On the one hand, I like buying direct for less money, I can set up my own saws and barring a major warranty issue, I will pay for parts and fix it myself.

On the other hand, the Stihl model seems to work well for them. I am sure that they lose some sales because of thier policy, but the seem to be selling plenty of saws.

I purchased my 9010 on ebay, it was too good a deal to pass up. I purchased the 5100 and 7900 from the local dealer. I could have saved close to 100.00 on the pair. The dealer seems ok, but had never sold a 5100 and had only sold one 7300. They only got into the Dolmar line for one commercial customer that they have. I thought it was important for them to sell a few more Dolmars and hopefully the will begin to see the potential and they will take more interest in the line. So I guess that I paid more money ultimatly to help Dolmar. I love the product and would do it again.

Jim

BRAVO for helping your local dealer.

I have seen 2 saws sell on ebay for about 5% less than retail and thought to myself...I could make some money selling these on eBay.

Then I think about what happens if the customer needs help, etc. If they don't have a close dealer are they going to ship it back to me or just bad-mouth the saw to everyone and anyone.

Take good care of a customer hand they will tell maybe one person. Make someone unhappy and they will tell everyone they know and then come to AS and tell everyone they don't know too.

Words to live by: We do not argue with those who sell for less, they know what their product is worth.

Ebay prices can be crazy, I can't belive that people would buy a saw there for only a 5% savings, but I see it all the time also. I paid under 500.00 for my 9010 NIB. Could not pass it up.

Jim

Can a Dolmar dealer only carry saws? If so, does the dealer have to carry the entire line of saws? I am asking because around here there in no market for another dealer of trimmers and blowers but could be for 60cc plus saws. Not a huge market but it is there.

Best of my knowledge is that a Dolmar dealer can carry any equipment they want. Your local distributor would of course require an amount of equipment to be considered a stocking dealer and get a good price.

I'm a small dealer and only order around 50 saws for the season. If I run low I can re-order, but with next day service I don't worry about running out of saws. Once i hit a pre-determined amount of equipment my distributor sets me up with the little extras that being a full stocking dealer. Free literature of course but also POP supplies, some "demo" equipment and help with demonstrations.

Uwharrie said:
DOLMARatOs , Follow Stihl, They sell direct to all the Large Tree Services. They ship them in boxes to these companies and they buy them right. They sell direct to any store that is in the rental business thereby closing the dealer out of these sales. Fact is there are more saws sold in boxes than anyone on this site would like to think about. In my area Stihl also sells direct to Large Landscape companies. And they tell us we can't even ship a part let alone a saw.

When you say "Stihl" are you talking about Stihl Corporate, a Stihl Distributor or a Stihl Dealer? Who are ALL these "large tree services" and "large landscape companies" that get their saws direct from Stihl corporate in boxes? Some of the larger companies have Stihl techs on staff and are handled differently, but there are only a handful that I've heard about. Rental Stores that sell Stihl are actually Dealers - and sure, some are a PITA for "other" dealers (like us), but nothing stops an "ordinary" Dealer from renting out also... And Stihl doesn't sell to just "any" rental store...

What if I set up "Andy's Rental, Tree and Saw Service Company". I can be a Stihl dealer, and Tree service and Rental equipment.. So long as I comply with the set-up and training requirements, qualify financially and buy the appropriate volume everyone is happy, except maybe my competition. I'm sure I could be a Dolmar dealer as well...

It's also a fact of life that big and $$ counts in business. Does Hertz buy their fleet from a local Ford dealer, or by a "special relationship"? Should a nationwide rental company with 5000 outlets have to buy from the local Stihl/Dolmar/Partner/Husky/xxxxxx dealer? Ditto for a nation-wide tree service, or even a large regional service. If a tree service wants a 500 units a year, and is prepared to meet the requirements for training and service, why should they buy from a retail dealer who sell a similar or less number? In other words, they are just a large non-retailing "dealer".

I've asked Stihl about "direct selling" on multiple occassions... and have heard of some complex or larger purchase exceptions, but it's not as wide spread as you are suggesting ... and the recipients have to meet "dealer like" conditions, so give me some names to chase down if you know differently.

Last edited:
I bought half a dozen new Stihls over the radio/phone in S.E.Alaska from a large dealer in Wa. state. It was commonly and openly done. I believe the reason was because of a "scarcity of dealers" This was in the late 80s and early 90s.

I have one better. My brother was stationed in El Salvador with the military ARMY CORPS of ENGINEERS. I shipped him 2 7900 Dolmar saws for use where they were building housing and schools in jungle and densly wooded areas.

Do you suppose DOLMAR is gonna get peeved? HAHA:ices_rofl:

This has been a very interesting thread to read and both sides of the fence were covered. I feel that DOLMARatOs makes the point as we see it. Finding new dealers to assist in the growth of Dolmar is best suited by helping all be on the level playing field and not competeing against OURSELVES. To grow we need to take market share from competitors and and this is accomplished by a broader dealer base. In the past 1.5 - 2 years our dealer base has almost TRIPLED in number and this has been with the policy in place to set up the saw and explain the features and benefits as well as instruct in proper use to the customer. Sure not everyone buying a saw needs this information but as a consumer that feeling of customer service provided by the dealer is SECOND to NONE. Everyone at Dolmar is very excited about our growth and we want to continue to take competitor market share and not just have multiple dealers competeting against one another for the same sell.

Ok here is my issue-
i want or wanted a 7900 based on the testimony of the folks here. I went online found my local dealer-went to speak with him ( a guy I knew). I was told that he does not stock parts or saws but he can get them.

the next nearest dealer is too far for it to be useful.

I am now planning on getting a johnny red not the 7900 like I wanted.

If I had been able to buy online I would trigger the deal and everyone would be happy.

I am in NJ not exactly remote--20 miles from philly.

If I were you, I'd tell this guy you know to start reading this forum. It's a shame that he is a "Dealer" and doesn't stock saws or parts. There are over 1000 Dolmar dealers in the US according to Dolmar's website.

I'm sure there are dealers of other saws that don't stock saws or parts but I dunno if they'll be around for long. If I was with Dolmar, I'd definately require my dealers to stock at least a minimum amount of equipment and parts...just basic things.

Sorry to hear that you aren't going to get the saw you originally looked for but I'm sure you'll be happy with any new saw that you buy as long as it's well suited for your application.

wood junky said:
Ok here is my issue-
i want or wanted a 7900 based on the testimony of the folks here. I went online found my local dealer-went to speak with him ( a guy I knew). I was told that he does not stock parts or saws but he can get them.

If I had been able to buy online I would trigger the deal and everyone would be happy.

Get the 7900, talk it up, show it to people, let trusted friends try it out. Your 'dealer' will come around and start stocking stuff when more people start asking for it. With my first oder of saws I picked out about $200 in spare parts, recoil parts, some sprockets etc. When a customer needed something I didn't have I ordered 2 so I'd have one for the next guy. Parts are no more than 2 days away. When a tree company squashed my demo 7900 I ordered enough parts to fix it twice, this is how inventory gets built up without breaking the bank. If your dealer does like I did and get a 5100 and 7900 for demo's and get them into the hands of the tree guys, he'll be selling saws in no time, you have to invest a little in business for it to work. I'm setting a PS3410 up as a demo next.

Sedanman.

This is exactly what we did with our equipment over the years. You don't need to order a huge amount of parts and saws when you can have everything within 2 days. This is why DOLMAR went with the IDN netowrk. Makes parts a 2 day thing and helps dealers work everything out.

Word of mouth is the best advertisement. We have a carver come down and cut up logs in our yard with Dolmar saws. Draws a crowd really fast.

maybe I am the guinea pig

I would like to be on the cutting edge (pun intended) of dolmar taking market share. I like the sound of an agressive company looking to grow and become a major player. I like to support that type of business with my purchases.

So maybe I try harder to find a dolmar instead of the easy route.

I may just add that 7900 yet.

k

If you absolutely cannot find a Dolmar anywhere near you. I'm more than sure that at least one or two dealers here could bend the rules ever so slightly to get a 7900 in your eager hands. I'm sure that Dolmar would understand the situation and approve. Sometimes it is more important to follow the spirit of a rule than the letter.

If I were you, I'd talk to the dealer and tell him you'll buy the saw if he'll stock $100.00 in parts to start with. Plugs, filters, chains, bars, 2-cycle oil, Bar oil PPE, etc. There aren't that many parts needed for a saw in the first place. Bar and chain is your main wear item, then rim sprockets and filters.

I'm in the works for Dolmar dealership right now

Since the big two would rather sell numbers and force stock I do not want to sell. I been there with the other manufacturers and only wish Dolmar could package bar and chain with the larger saws as it gets confusing for buyers who shop around.
Anyone remember that old tune "Crown Commitment"?
Inside humor those who know know.

I usually just quote a price on the large saws with a 20" bar. It's pretty easy to make up a price sheet with all the different sized bars.

At my shop, we have 1 price on the large saws up to and including 24" bar. Any larger bar has its own price. I've found that most of my customers go with a 24" bar on the 7900 and 7300. 20" bar is very popular on the 6400 but I have a few 6400 saws out there with 28" bar and full skip OREGON chain.

I'd like to see Dolmar saws with PHO 5100S models. Some people actually want a 16" bar on that 5100S which creates an insanely fast 16" saw.

wood junky said:
Ok here is my issue-

What am I missing?

You are willing to order online but not let the dealer order it for you? What is the logic?

Back