Had a succesful Deere hunt this week!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longbar

Mr. BigWood
Reaction score
First early this week a buddy called me and said he had a few saws for me.
This was one of them:
000_0016.jpg

Then found this guy:
000_0011-1.jpg

Also got these:
000_0013.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

I don't see homelite in any of those saws, I'm sure someone will know who made them. Good score though, I am lucky to walk away with one saw let alone 4.:clap:
BTW what is the McCulloch, I can't quite make out the tag, 10-?

Last edited:
This brings up an obvious and interesting question: what models of Homelite were actually built by Solo, and which of them were sold under different badges (e.g. other than Homelite, Solo, JD)?

Also -- does anybody know the story of the last few years of "US" Homelite and how and when they fell from their place among the top brands? Details are what I'm asking for; I already know the basics. I ask because I have only a skeletal knowledge of the answers to these questions, and would very much like to know more.

Can we say HOMELITE 8800!!!!!!! Major nice score my friend.

Wanna sell it.....:)
That's why I didn't see the Homelite in it, must have been close to one of the last saws made by Homelite before it was sold off. Looks like they were trying to copy J-Red or Poulan in the end.
Good eye seems this saw is rather rare.

Nice find on a bunch of good saws! Major find on the larger Deere/Homelite.

The smaller Deere is good if your a Deere collector, but I had the Homelite version and there just ok at best.

The Echo, Mac and Roper are all good finds!

You are certainly are a lucky deere hunter.
:D thanks man! I had to bait them to get them in:laugh: My buddy works on lawn mowers so I had to bring him one on trade!
I don't see homelite in any of those saws, I'm sure someone will know who made them. Good score though, I am lucky to walk away with one saw let alone 4.:clap:
BTW what is the McCulloch, I can't quite make out the tag, 10-?
The Mac is a 10-10s
Can we say HOMELITE 8800!!!!!!! Major nice score my friend.

Wanna sell it.....:)
Thanks Wiggs! I think Ill be hanging on to him though! He was the one I had to drive 3 hours 1 way for:yoyo:
This brings up an obvious and interesting question: what models of Homelite were actually built by Solo, and which of them were sold under different badges (e.g. other than Homelite, Solo, JD)?

Also -- does anybody know the story of the last few years of "US" Homelite and how and when they fell from their place among the top brands? Details are what I'm asking for; I already know the basics. I ask because I have only a skeletal knowledge of the answers to these questions, and would very much like to know more.
So these were built by solo. I did a search but came up with a few options so still wasnt sure.
Nice find on a bunch of good saws! Major find on the larger Deere/Homelite.

The smaller Deere is good if your a Deere collector, but I had the Homelite version and there just ok at best.

The Echo, Mac and Roper are all good finds!

The roper is all your fault! Ive been reading too much of the Poulan thread. Thanks Alot!:laugh: No really Thanks!!!:D

Very nice!

Does the 550 have an open port or closed? Seems Deere had a different mix of parts. Recently seen one in a thread with a metal handle and open port (540).....but who really knows what was original on that saw. Either way, a 540 runs pretty strong as well.

Those are very nice looking saws.

And never once heard you mention anything about a divorce.....wish my wife was as understanding about a man needing more saws.
That Echo sure looks good to me. Any chance of posting a picture of it from the other side ?

Nice score. Time for me to go shopping yet? :clap:
Yeah just let me know when you can make it over.
Very nice!

Does the 550 have an open port or closed? Seems Deere had a different mix of parts. Recently seen one in a thread with a metal handle and open port (540).....but who really knows what was original on that saw. Either way, a 540 runs pretty strong as well.
Not sure if its closed or not. Ill have to clean the carb and will check then. This had the magnesium rear handle like a 8800, not sure if thats what you mean? Ill have to look up the ut # on it. It still has that sticker on it.
And never once heard you mention anything about a divorce.....wish my wife was as understanding about a man needing more saws.
That Echo sure looks good to me. Any chance of posting a picture of it from the other side ?

I just got married a couple years ago so shes not sick of the saws yet!!:laugh: Ill try and get a pic of the other side soon.

The CS-300 is the Homelite CS-300. Not the greatest saw ever built by Homelite but a good homeowner saw. The 550 is a Homelite 540 or 8800. I have only seen one of these saws in John Deere colors and the owner said it was the best saw he had ever ran.

Post some more pics of the 550 please, I'd like to see it with the covers off.

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back