Harbor Freight 6.5 hp engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Gordon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just thought I would give a you a heads up on a pretty good
little engine.

Harbor Freight has its 6.5 hp engine on sale for 94.99 until 04/30.

I put one of these on my splitter a couple of years ago and am very pleased with it.

From what I understand the Harbor Freight engines are Greyhound engines... manufactured by the same company that makes Honda Engines.

Pretty darn good engines. But, there as been a problem (supposedly) with metal shavings left inside some...
Seems the consensus is to change oil a couple of times during the first 2-3 hours of use.

I bought one of the 5500 watt Harbor Freight generators, has an electric start Greyhound 13 HP on it... I've already had to use it once when we lost power for about 4-hours a couple weeks ago... ran like a top.

Ok, I went to Harbor Freight yesterday to get one. They were priced at $179. I was told that they went off sale on 3/31. Is there another sale kicked off? How'd you do it? Coupon?:msp_confused:

I got the catalog yesterday,(super Coupon) it says hurry sale ends April 30 2011.
Reg. price 179.99 sale 94.99.

They should have sale flyer's in the store.

Picked up a 22" craftsman Snowthrower with a blown 5 horse briggs on it, bought the 6.5 HF for 89.00 (Super Coupon). Been using the machine for two winters now with no problems.
:cheers:

I pulled the trigger on the 11hp greyhound on friday for the splitter i'm building. Harbor freight reduced the price from $299 to $229. Not to mention the 20% coupon I found (on any one item) by doing a simple google search for harbor freight coupons. Final price was $212 shipped to my front door. Not too bad.

Oh, if anyone was wondering, the coupon code is 20TOOL.

From what I understand the Harbor Freight engines are Greyhound engines... manufactured by the same company that makes Honda Engines.

i dont know about that. i used to work for a honda equipment dealer, and can tell you that honda engines are made by honda. i have never hear anyone say that someone else makes engines for honda. some hondas are better than others, and some honda clones are excellent engines.

i dont know about that. i used to work for a honda equipment dealer, and can tell you that honda engines are made by honda. i have never hear anyone say that someone else makes engines for honda. some hondas are better than others, and some honda clones are excellent engines.

I researched this once. I can't quite recall the specifics, but I thought that greyhound motors were made by LIFAN. I thought someone said that this company currently makes all the parts for the honda motors? Also, I read that someone tore down a greyhound and tore down a comparable GS series motor and all the parts were interchangable. I don't remember where I read that, it's been a while ago...

24wxb93.jpg

Ok, I went to Harbor Freight yesterday to get one. They were priced at $179. I was told that they went off sale on 3/31. Is there another sale kicked off? How'd you do it? Coupon?:msp_confused:
I can buy one all month for $89 + tax with a coupon. Sale ends 4/30/11. I might buy one as a backup to the one I already have, just in case the one installed kicks the bucket, and store the new one for now somewhere in its box.

However, the one installed always starts, runs, and never fails. I can't kill it as long as I change oil now and then. Plenty of power for me. How this engine was ever built and sold for this price is a complete mystery to me. Maybe that's why we owe China and Japan together almost $2 trillion.

Nice, Pic, Tom. Looks like mine.

Everybody seems to hold these engines in pretty high regard. If it breaks, can you buy replacement parts or do you just toss it in the scrap bin and buy a new one? Not looking to get anyone inflamed.......just curious......

I got one today for my elevator. My price was $102 out the door with tax. I'm going to grab another for a back up. I have a 20% for one item coupon. So it will be right around $80. I can't pass up another for that price.

Scott

Everybody seems to hold these engines in pretty high regard. If it breaks, can you buy replacement parts or do you just toss it in the scrap bin and buy a new one? Not looking to get anyone inflamed.......just curious......

these things last had on on a splitter 5 years then sold the machine

I bought mine a few months ago for the same price. I took the honda gc 160 engine off my splitter and sold it for $100 on craigslist. Which covered the cost of the new motor. About a week after buying the new engine, I contacted Harbor Freight and got the 2 year extended warranty for $18. Which is a automatic new engine replacement for any issues. The engine is powerful and runs great. It starts up on the first or second pull, unless its real cold outside like single digit temps.

I'm looking at the latest Harbor Freight flyer with the coupon for the engine inside. The fine print on the engine coupon states the coupon is good anywhere you shop Harbor Freight. Retail stores, online, or 800 number. The barcode # on the coupon is 34530147
The model number or "lot number" of the item is 66015 or if you live in California # 66014. Sale ends Apr 30th.

these things last had on on a splitter 5 years then sold the machine

So your experience was good but I'm still looking for an answer to the original question. Does anybody know if replacement parts are available or are these throw-aways if they break???

Some parts are redily available from either your local Honda Dealer or and aftermarket source, but be forwarned the parts you require will have to be compatible with a circa 1980's honda engine. So the answer is yes parts are avialable but some will fit and work and some will not.

Up here in Canada we have a version of HF called PA or Princess Auto...........lifetime guarantee on anything, not questions asked expect your name and number (albeight a reciept is like a winning lotto ticket) 6.5hp motor for $99.............I bought two of them, should the first one fail I have a quick four to eight bolt replacement motor and I dont have to fix a friggin thing.............if it runs out of gas I can get what i paid for it back.
So yes a worthwhile motor if you are close to a store that sells them, if not buy 2-3 to cycle through as needed ............if not buy a Honda or Kohler.

...Does anybody know if replacement parts are available or are these throw-aways if they break???

Hmmmmm...... yeah, parts are available... comes with a manual with parts break-down picture and 800-number to call for support and/or parts. But, at $99.oo, why would you spend time, energy and $$$s on repair... anything more than a spark plug, air filter and oil change would cost more than a replacement engine...

...yes a worthwhile motor if you are close to a store that sells them, if not buy 2-3 to cycle through as needed ............if not buy a Honda or Kohler.

I've worn-out both both Honda and Kohler engines... yeah, good engines, but certainly not worth the extra $$$s for the fancy nameplate and paint... and they ain't cheap to repair either.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that any single cylinder engine, 20 HP or less, made in the last 30-years, is a throw-a-way regardless of who made it... We live in a throw-a-way world... when's the last time you've heard of anyone rebuilding a starter, or alternator, or... when's the last time you've heard of anyone even taking one apart... do you even know anyone who knows how to fix one? Heck, most of the time the parts and labor would cost twice the price of a new one. I can remember when engine overhauls were a common place thing... now-a-days we just short block, or long block everything, it's cheaper. The manufacturers don't even build em' to be overhauled anymore, when they're worn-out, they're junk.

Latest posts

Back