Has anyone ever bought a chainsaw in another country and brought it back??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.D.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My wife is from Argentina and I have been thinking about buying a saw there and bringing it back because of the exchange rate. Has anyone had a good/bad experience importing a chainsaw?? I would probably get a new ms660 or 440.
Thanks
Alex

My Stihls 070, 038 and MS380 were bought outside China. have not seen similar things here around.

A.D.- Welcome to the site. Here's a thread that was up on here a couple of weeks ago or so, I found after a quick search of the site...does this help?

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=19963&highlight=airline

How much are you going to be saving? Unless it's like $100 US or more, I'd almost have to say it's kindof a headache, and the money spent at a local dealer will pay for itself down the road. But if you're gonna save some serious, serious cash, get your new chains and bar oil at the dealer, and make friends with him that way.

Take care all,
Jeff

Thanks both you guys for your replies. I am going to get the ms660 (BRAND NEW) in Buenos Aires for ~$700!!!!!, unless there is some reason to get the older 066 instead???
Thanks again

AD, while your wife is there and buying saws and all why don't you have her pick up a couple of 090's???? I'd like to have one but you can't get a new one over here anymore.

Ryan, I don't know if they have that model, but I have some more checking to do... I like that the 660 has 7.8 hp out of the box instead of 7.

Getting them cheap in another country is one way, but remember that your local dealer has to eat too. Here on this side of the pond the Stihls and Huskys are more expensive, at least the pro user models, and the greater the CCs the bigger the difference. I priced out a Stihl 088 and it was over $3000! Japan still has the middleman arrangement bigtime, people get payed for pushing papers a lot, never seeing the product.

Japan seems to be a little confusing in that manner. the system used COULD be a little more efficient by eliminating the middleman. Though I will say japanese products are very good.

i saw a 288xp for sale in peru this past summer......it was a appliance store that also sold husky's. the price was pretty much what it used to list for, i remember it not being a bargain. i'm kicking myself now for not buying it though. my 288 is still running like a champ. i'd love to pick up another one.

The reason they are cheaper in Peru is that Peruvians are less willing to pay than us Americans. So Stihl figured they would do better to sell more saws at a cheaper price. Its called unitary elasticity.

Would be interesting to compare prices from country to country.

Listed (recommended retail) price, in Swedish Kronor, in Sweden for Husqvarna:

353 : 4 956 ($693) (think this is with bar&chain)
357xpg : 6 796 ($950) (with bar&chain?)
372xp : 7 196 ($1006) (no bar/chain)
395xp : 7 676 ($1073) (no bar/chain)
3120xp : 8 796 ($1229) (no bar/chain)

+25% VAT. Companies won't have to pay VAT though.

http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/store/index.aspx has Husqvarna, Jonsered and Stihl, similar price there I'd guess (as in Sweden). Abbeygarden lists with VAT, don't know how much VAT is in the UK though. Most likely less than in Sweden :)

If i ever visit the US, maybe I should pick up a couple of saws and bring back here. :)

I was going to buy a 660 in Argentina this summer, but I just bought one here that wasn't even broken in for less. Now I don't have to worry about someone stealing it when I fly back. The only reason it is cheaper down there is because of the exchange rate, roughly 3:1. For the Argentines, it is SUPER expensive since the 660 costs ~2,100 pesos and they make about the same salary as we do, but in pesos. like 500 pesos a week average.

bvaught said:
The reason they are cheaper in Peru is that Peruvians are less willing to pay than us Americans. So Stihl figured they would do better to sell more saws at a cheaper price. Its called unitary elasticity.

i think you need to reread my post. the price's were almost the exact same as list price's in the state's.

I bought my Stihl in France. Contacted Stihl via email and provided my address, asking if they had any info in English on my saw (as the handbook was in French)....they sent a English handbook in the post, without being asked.....thats what you call customer service!!!

Latest posts

Back