hauling wood with garden tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size is the Deutz and what they asking if you don't mind? Grandpa bought a 6006 I think, new in the '70's and brother still has on the homeplace. Great tractor. Lot of memories. Lot of hours but in great shape. Not too many old ones around here. They are cold blooded though...

I couldn't imagine a small yard tractor to pull much in the woods. Last summer I used a 6x6 RANGER to skid on a small property and it did "meh" at best. Normally use a 648D with weighted tires and chains.

What size is the Deutz and what they asking if you don't mind? Grandpa bought a 6006 I think, new in the '70's and brother still has on the homeplace. Great tractor. Lot of memories. Lot of hours but in great shape. Not too many old ones around here. They are cold blooded though...
Not sure on real bottom line, but first ask was 15, then I pointed out four tires all whipped to nuthin, old guy went hmm, you're right..I left it at that. I would guess he would take 10 smilin bens if you flashed it at him, but don't know, that's my best guess though. That was early last summer though, no idea if it is still there. I just passed on it at the time. I was just using that as a ballpark, I have seen similar around here now and then for small and well used. Always plenty of like old ford N series and so on for sale, too. Nice tractors, but nearest dealer with parts is pretty far away.

Ya, cold natured, no glow plugs, they use some sort of intake heater thing that doesn't work very well. Once cranked though, smooth. Pull good, at least the two I have used.

Lots of good input here people!
Jere, nice arch and nice tractor. Since I have to cut elsewhere, in order to take my splitter, cart and tractor I'd have a lot of equipment to drag around. I have a 8'x9' flatbed with racks on my truck, was thinking if I could drag logs out whole and use a truck bed crane to load them into the truck and trailer the tractor and arch. Just thinking out loud... Or cut rounds and haul out that way but it's back breaking and I want to run 30" pieces for my OWB so pretty big rounds depending on the tree.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Central Boiler CL5036 heating my house, water and 30x40 shop
04 Ram 3500 Cummins QCLB flatbed 4wd
Custom built 4wd Lawn Boy garden tractor with a slew of attachments
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

Here's a couple videos, sorry I didn't have a helper to take videos so I had to set the phone down on something while I plowed. Off topic shame on me lol sorry.

Plowing snow with the 4wd Lawn Boy 60" plow:

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424180971404.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1424180971404.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 15
Here's a couple videos, sorry I didn't have a helper to take videos so I had to set the phone down on something while I plowed. Off topic shame on me lol sorry.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

That little tractor is doing good!

That little tractor is doing good!
Thanks! Don't even have any weight on the rear, not even running loaded tires yet. Not bad for a 60" blade.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Thanks! Don't even have any weight on the rear, not even running loaded tires yet. Not bad for a 60" blade.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

That lawnboy isn't a two stroke is it? Doesn't sound like it, just wondering though.

That lawnboy isn't a two stroke is it? Doesn't sound like it, just wondering though.
Nope, good ol' Kohler Magnum 18hp opposed twin. These are awesome engines in my opinion. I have another just like it on another machine both have been excellent and very powerful, loads of torque for an 18 and pretty smooth for opposed twin. Much smoother than the Briggs opposed twins in my opinion.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

I couldn't imagine a small yard tractor to pull much in the woods. Last summer I used a 6x6 RANGER to skid on a small property and it did "meh" at best. Normally use a 648D with weighted tires and chains.
comparing a lawn tractor, or ATV to a mid size skidder? yeah those are comparable:dumb:
you cant even compare a 440 to a 648...never mind comparing a lawn tractor to a 648...

That was point... use the right tool for the job.

comparing a lawn tractor, or ATV to a mid size skidder? yeah those are comparable:dumb:
you cant even compare a 440 to a 648...never mind comparing a lawn tractor to a 648...

I've seen a few skidders for sale but not anything I can afford, justify or likely even use. I'm cutting on other people's property removing down and dead stuff not doing full fledged logging, so I must use something that can navigate existing paths instead of cutting a road through their property.

Are we back on topic now? Lol I think we all want a skidder, but most of us will continue to dream.

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

I didn't say that is what he needed.. once again someone ASS-U-ME ing. I can't imagine a yard tractor can pull much of a log.

how is a skidder the right tool? its not like he's production logging, if he were then yes a skidder would be the right tool, but to pull out small quantities of small firewood... a skidder isn't needed

Here's my little guy. I use him to bring a couple days worth from the shed to the backdoor

Attachments

• 20150201_102626.jpg
    20150201_102626.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 79
Love mine just wish it were 4wd can't wait to get ag tires for her next year. Even with a differential lock the little yanmar diesel runs out of traction far before power. When she does get loaded up she puffs a small black cloud n keeps on rollin

6410bb5f1e8415d901697e27938ef91d.jpg

15d904d9322c87ed13ef6707a37a4cb8.jpg

Back