Have a chance at a Husky 262xp, what to do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I found a husky 262xp at a garage sale today, he wants $100 for it, HMMMMMM............ Real world, without all the husky/vs/stihl xp/vs non-xp and pro/vs non pro wars. I am not at all familier with this saw and want to know how it will compare to my ms390 for firewood, and if it is a better option? I think I could list my 390 and re-coup most of my money, but not here:laugh:
The saw seems pretty used paint off the bar, rust on the muffler etc. but doesn't look all beat up. He said he cut firewood in CO before moving to KS. I barely talked the wife into the 390 this season and funds are a little tight right now, what do you do?:yoyo:
Thanks,
Andy

sawinredneck said:
I found a husky 262xp at a garage sale today, he wants $100 for it, HMMMMMM............ Real world, without all the husky/vs/stihl xp/vs non-xp and pro/vs non pro wars. I am not at all familier with this saw and want to know how it will compare to my ms390 for firewood, and if it is a better option? I think I could list my 390 and re-coup most of my money, but not here:laugh:
The saw seems pretty used paint off the bar, rust on the muffler etc. but doesn't look all beat up. He said he cut firewood in CO before moving to KS. I barely talked the wife into the 390 this season and funds are a little tight right now, what do you do?:yoyo:
Thanks,
Andy

I'll buy it and let you use it once in awhile.. Could may be add a husky to the fleet..

OH-You can drive up here to get it when you want to use it.... that should help you sell the idea to your wife..

For that price (assuming it runs OK) I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

...but funds aren't a problem for me at the moment. :(

I have a couple of thousand hours using 266XP saws, used 272XP saws a bit as well, never ran a 262 must be the same kind of thing. $100 for an XP Husky, get it, it will blow away that Stihl.

Well........... I had to buy it, I went back and asked the guy if he would negotiate on price ( I am a tight a@#, what can I say) he said "you and I both know what that saw is worth, I priced it to sell, not to give it away". Man makes a point! I said I have ga and oil in the truck, I will tighten the chain and fuel it up, if it starts I will give you a hundred if you throw in the bench grinder (6" craftsmen, need one badly) he says, no hesitation mind you "DEAL" eight pulls it lights off and runs like a scalded ape!!!!!!:cheers: So.............. now I need a new bar, or two actually for it! Will this saw run part time, just part time, ok with a 28" or is that too much? I am thinking a 20" on it using the same chains I have for the 390, then a 28" just in case?
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Well........... I had to buy it, I went back and asked the guy if he would negotiate on price ( I am a tight a@#, what can I say) he said "you and I both know what that saw is worth, I priced it to sell, not to give it away". Man makes a point! I said I have ga and oil in the truck, I will tighten the chain and fuel it up, if it starts I will give you a hundred if you throw in the bench grinder (6" craftsmen, need one badly) he says, no hesitation mind you "DEAL" eight pulls it lights off and runs like a scalded ape!!!!!!:cheers: So.............. now I need a new bar, or two actually for it! Will this saw run part time, just part time, ok with a 28" or is that too much? I am thinking a 20" on it using the same chains I have for the 390, then a 28" just in case?
Andy

Good deal you got there.. I hoped you would have me buy it so I could see what owning a Husky was like.. Be carefull when your wife gets home you might be homeless..

04ultra said:
Good deal you got there.. I hoped you would have me buy it so I could see what owning a Husky was like.. Be carefull when your wife gets home you might be homeless..

In the proccess of that fued right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sawinredneck said:
So.............. now I need a new bar, or two actually for it! Will this saw run part time, just part time, ok with a 28" or is that too much? I am thinking a 20" on it using the same chains I have for the 390, then a 28" just in case?

This saw will be really sweet with a 20" bar. 28" is probably too much. You could cut slowly with a 28" if you avoided applying too much (any?) pressure. Also, long bars change the balance of a saw quite a bit.

sawn_penn said:
This saw will be really sweet with a 20" bar. 28" is probably too much. You could cut slowly with a 28" if you avoided applying too much (any?) pressure. Also, long bars change the balance of a saw quite a bit.

OK...............compared to a 390 with a 25", what are we talking?
Sorry, unable to take m/c or visa, but you're discover is always welcome:cheers:
Andy

OK.... the fued is over, don't know that I won, but I am still breathing so that counts for a lot!!!! Next problem..... My 390 is set for 20" .375 .063 chain, I would like to run the same on the 262xp. Problem is I cannot find a bar set up that way!!!!!:mad: Help?
Andy

sawinredneck said:
OK.... the fued is over, don't know that I won, but I am still breathing so that counts for a lot!!!! Next problem..... My 390 is set for 20" .375 .063 chain, I would like to run the same on the 262xp. Problem is I cannot find a bar set up that way!!!!!:mad: Help?
Andy

The fued is going to start again because of the bar cost.. You will be living in the shed soon..

Why:cheers: do you think I have heat and A/C with a couch and recliner in the garage?? OH yeah, 32" tv ps2 dvd vcr and surround sound to boot!!!!!! I am out there A LOT!!!!!!!!:cheers:
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Why:cheers: do you think I have heat and A/C with a couch and recliner in the garage?? OH yeah, 32" tv ps2 dvd vcr and surround sound to boot!!!!!! I am out there A LOT!!!!!!!!:cheers:
Andy

LOL or not LOL you have it covered.. My wife has a vested interest in what I own..She feels Im older and she can have one hell of a garage sale if I die first. got air heat and cable tv in my shop to..Gotta love it..

Ever since we had our son, 15 months now, things have changed a bit, WIRELESS HEADPHONES ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andy

04ultra said:
BTW I forgot to mention refridge for beer.. LOL thats a must..

Coverd, apartment size, freezer is big enough to stand a 1.75L bottle up in:biggrinbounce2:

sawinredneck said:
Coverd, apartment size, freezer is big enough to stand a 1.75L bottle up in:biggrinbounce2:

Hey saw I'm with ya on the whole thing..Is she stihl mad .. It could be a long weekend for ya..

Mine had a fit last week when I bought another wire welder .. She said why do we need two? I told her so she could use the smaller one .. Boy that went over real well .. Then the question why did the new one cost so much..LOL I told her because its a Miller matic 251..She will get over it.. I was going to ask her why she needs a DVD player in her SUV ..LOL

Keep your chin up it only gets worse..

Nah, she's calmed down a bit now, But....... I havn't gotten the bar yet and it looks like I will have to buy a bar AND chains for it now, Sooo.... here we go again:bang:
You would think after thirteen years she would calm down a bit:blob2:
Andy

Back