Have a chance at a Husky 262xp, what to do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
04 all you need to do is make her something with the welder. Plant stand, wall sconce, get out some square stock and the torch, twist it all up real nice like on OCC and weld it into some pleasing shape.

She'll get a kick out of the fact that you thought about her and spent your time making it for her, and youll get some slack next time your watchin the tube or drag home something she dont understand.

"Honey, look what I made you!" I was inspierd by the boys on OCC, and with my new millermatic it was a breeze. It has an artwork setting....

Couldnt have done it with that old welder I was using.

RBW: You have been maried way too long:cheers: That goes back to redneckitis, if you make it useful for her, she's got to go for it:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

same chains?

sawinredneck said:
Well........... I had to buy it, I went back and asked the guy if he would negotiate on price ( I am a tight a@#, what can I say) he said "you and I both know what that saw is worth, I priced it to sell, not to give it away". Man makes a point! I said I have ga and oil in the truck, I will tighten the chain and fuel it up, if it starts I will give you a hundred if you throw in the bench grinder (6" craftsmen, need one badly) he says, no hesitation mind you "DEAL" eight pulls it lights off and runs like a scalded ape!!!!!!:cheers: So.............. now I need a new bar, or two actually for it! Will this saw run part time, just part time, ok with a 28" or is that too much? I am thinking a 20" on it using the same chains I have for the 390, then a 28" just in case?
Andy
If you're thinking you can use the same loops of chain you may find that one saw uses two more drive links than the other saw. While the saws can be setup to use the same pitch and gauge chain. The number of drive links needed may differ. You'll have the tensioner wound out on one and wound in on the other to use the same loops. The distance between the crank/sprocket to bar mount is different though they both could have 20" bars. They both can use the same size chain (gauge & pitch) the drive links needed may differ. Just something to look out for between different brands of chainsaws. You may be able to get around this by putting a wider/taller bar and 8 pin sprocket one one saw and a 7 pin narrower/not as tall bar on the other saw. Once you find the right combination that works so you can use the same loops, write the numbers down so you don't have to remember them when it comes time to replace the bars & sprockets.

sawinredneck said:
I found a husky 262xp .... I am not at all familier with this saw and want to know how it will compare to my ms390 for firewood, and if it is a better option? .....
If it is in working order, the 262xp should easily outcut your 390, and it is also lighter.
sawinredneck said:
..... My 390 is set for 20" .375 .063 chain, I would like to run the same on the 262xp. Problem is I cannot find a bar set up that way....
I don't think that you will be able to find such a setup for it, 20" .375 .058 is probably the closest you will get, but I do not understand why that is a problem. :rolleyes:
The 262xp has the small Husky bar mount, same as Oregon K095.
If it hasn't been changed out, it also has the small spline cluch.

Last edited:
sawin,
My dad has a 262XP. He really likes it a lot. Of course his other saw is a Mac 610, so that's not a real good comparison for you. But it sounds like you got a good deal in any case.

I just bought a like new 261 tonight. Shouldn't have sold yours Andy.....It will be getting a 262xp piston in it by weeks end. I'll have the 2nd confirmed 261xp out there.... :laugh:

Freakingstang said:
I just bought a like new 261 tonight. Shouldn't have sold yours Andy.....It will be getting a 262xp piston in it by weeks end. I'll have the 2nd confirmed 261xp out there.... :laugh:

:sucks:

sawinredneck said:
Well........... I had to buy it, I went back and asked the guy if he would negotiate on price ( I am a tight a@#, what can I say) he said "you and I both know what that saw is worth, I priced it to sell, not to give it away". Man makes a point! I said I have ga and oil in the truck, I will tighten the chain and fuel it up, if it starts I will give you a hundred if you throw in the bench grinder (6" craftsmen, need one badly) he says, no hesitation mind you "DEAL" eight pulls it lights off and runs like a scalded ape!!!!!!:cheers: So.............. now I need a new bar, or two actually for it! Will this saw run part time, just part time, ok with a 28" or is that too much? I am thinking a 20" on it using the same chains I have for the 390, then a 28" just in case?
Andy

I had a 24" on my 268 and it pulled that effortlessly, but i was only cutting spruce. I put a 20" on it, as that was all I needed for the wood in interior AK. Dunno how much more pop the 268 has over the 262, though.

Freakingstang said:

I still regret selling that saw, falls under one of the dumbest things I ever did!!! Funny you bring it up, I just today emailed the buyer to see how it was running for him :buttkick: :buttkick: :buttkick: :buttkick: Seems to sum it all up right there!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
I still regret selling that saw, falls under one of the dumbest things I ever did!!! Funny you bring it up, I just today emailed the buyer to see how it was running for him :buttkick: :buttkick: :buttkick: :buttkick: Seems to sum it all up right there!!!
Andy

i sent the guy a couple pm's but never heard back from him. Did he ever get it running ok?

I found that the later 261's were the same as the 262xp, (closed port) but they had a dished piston to lower compression some. Not to brag, but this thing is like new, still has the decals with the serial number and the bar code on it. 99 model. I think it was run with old gas as the piston is just starting to show wear. The fuel tank smelled nasty. I could probably sand the piston down and fire it up, but I want to get the good piston in it... Piston will probably cost me as much as the saw did, from Husky. lol.

Freakingstang said:
i sent the guy a couple pm's but never heard back from him. Did he ever get it running ok?

Last I knew it was running good, but still wouldn't idle, and you had to hold the throttle open to get it to start after it was warmed up.

Freakingstang said:
I found that the later 261's were the same as the 262xp, (closed port) but they had a dished piston to lower compression some. Not to brag, but this thing is like new, still has the decals with the serial number and the bar code on it. 99 model. I think it was run with old gas as the piston is just starting to show wear. The fuel tank smelled nasty. I could probably sand the piston down and fire it up, but I want to get the good piston in it... Piston will probably cost me as much as the saw did, from Husky. lol.

Did I ever tell you I didn't like you that much? Wanna trade for a like new warmed over 346xp when it's done?

:monkey: :notrolls2: :sucks:

Back