Hello. My name is Jim. I have CAD. Here is my summer haul. And some questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfhoss

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Love the site. Very informative. I moved to an acreage a year ago and have a wood burning furnace. Cut mostly Ash and maple, and fence lines. My previous property I had a fire place. I had been using my fathers hand me down Homelite Super 2 with 16 bar. Great little saw but not big enough. It started acting up so 3 years ago my wife being awesome decides to buy me a new saw without asking me. She went to a farm supply store and bought a Poulan Pro. I said thank you and went to work on some wood. Worked great for about a week. Then my arm got tired of pulling it. This thing does not start well. So we move to the acreage. I fix the carb on the Super 2 and it's back running like new. But still too small and the poulan just wears me out trying to start it. So this spring I start looking on Craigslist for used Chainsaws. Doing some research on here I learn about the old classics. I would love a Stihl or Husky, but not for the money. It did have some idea of what was decent by reading your posts. So here is what I ended up with. Sorry no pictures now. Will take some tonight.

2 3.7 Craftsman (Poulan 3700) with 20 inch bars. I bought one for $60. The owner said it runs great. He couldn't get it started when showing me. So he through in a second one for free. When they run they are raped apes. But very intermittent. I need new fuel lines and carb rebuild I think. Any help on these would be appreciated. I really like the feel of these saws.

1 Older Craftsman (Roper) with 22 inch bar. I got it for free. An older man was going to sell me his Stihl 028 for $100. When I show up he can't find it and gives me this for showing up. I was a little pissed. But free is free. I haven't done anything with this saw yet.

1 Super Pro 81 Mac. 22 inch bar. $50. OMG this thing is a beast. I like the idea of having one this big. It will start. You have to use the compression release. I need a new fuel filter(where do i find this) for it and probably lines. Should probably do a carb rebuild. Other than that seems to run nice. I have not cut wood with it yet. Any advice would be appreciated on this.

1 Homelite Super XL. It came free with the Mac. The thing is dirty. Completely packed with dirt and wood shavings. Rope hanging half way out. Probably was never cleaned. Honestly it looks like a boat anchor. Last night I took off the starter side and cleaned it out. Disassembled the recoil and cleaned it. Reset the rope. put it back together. Looked in the gas tank. Empty and clean. Pulled the plug. Looked it's age. Brushed it off a little. Sprayed some WD40 in the hole. Put the plug back in. Put some gas in the tank. Pulled the choke. Set the throttle and Pulled the cord. It popped but no start. Pulled it again and ran like a new saw. 2 pulls and it's running. Idled great. Full throttle great. It would idle for minutes just sitting there. So she will be getting a thorough cleaning with new chain, spark plug, lines etc. She also needs a new sprocket. Very worn. I am Very happy. It made my night after I spent hours working on the poulans. I even toasted my drink to it. Nothing like looking like the red headed step child and turning out to be the champ.

First of all welcome to AS, Jim.

You have quite the assortment there! I'll toss in my $.02 ...

To lead off, it's been my experience that 96% of all problems with acquired older saws is with the fuel system. Carbs only need 'rebuilding' when the diaphragms are stiff and/or cracked; otherwise a good thorough cleaning will suffice. Do some reading here and you'll know how to tackle nearly all of them.

The 3700s: Nice saws, easy to work on. Parts are readily available from a variety of sources. Really wake up with a MM.

The Craper: Decent saw with a lot of torque. Has a funky decomp configuration if I remember right. If equipped with a Nikki carb, can require a bit of digging to get a carb kit.

SP81: I have one and agree that it's a monster. Save yourself a bu**load of headaches and just pony up the $12 on eBay for a 10-10 fuel line (#64848) and the spring insert (#67944). If you have the Walbro SDC with the fixed high-side jet, you may want to search out getting a fully adjustable one.

Homelite: N/C, but nice to hear you got it running. The feeling of accomplishment is always good.

Cheers!

Thanks Warped,
On the Mac, it does have the fixed high side. Why would they do that on this saw? Where would I find a used carb? Would you know the part number?

jfhoss,

Welcome to the site.

Don't write-off that Poulan Pro just yet, especially if it is over 40cc, it is worth fixing, there are folks here who can help you get it running. No matter what the size, if you really don't want it, you can offer to trade it for something useful to you, like chains or parts for your other saws.

You can buy fuel filters based on fuel line size, not saw model.

My first question, do you have the right tools to adjust the mixture on your saws?

HF

Jfhoss, welcome to ArboristSite!

Your summer searching turned up some great deals, you got some very nice saws for not a lot of $$ :msp_thumbup:. Even if you don't have a need for the Craftsman/Roper, it might make good trade bait for something that you do need.

Which model is the Poulan Pro that's giving you trouble? As someone previously posted, there are folks here who can walk you through the troubleshooting and repair.

Thanks Warped,
On the Mac, it does have the fixed high side. Why would they do that on this saw? Where would I find a used carb? Would you know the part number?

They would do it because after working with these saws, I am convinced that Mac engineers based in Los Angeles in the 60s and 70s smoked dope while on their breaks. My SP81 IPLs show four different part numbers for the various carbs installed on those saws. The best one by far is the fully adjustable Walbro SDC. I would offer my spare if it wasn't my spare.

You can find one here in the Swap Meet thread, the Garage Sale thread or the Old Magnesium and North American Lawn Furniture (or whatever) thread .... :)

Just refer to it as a 'fully adjustable Walbro SDC' and folks will know what you mean ...

The Poulan Pro is a 33 cc I believe. And I don't have the special tool to adjust the H and L screws. That actually upsets me that they would do that on a carb. I should probably purchase one of those.

Your right on the trade. Maybe for a Mac carb I can adjust the H on. :)

The Poulan Pro is a 33 cc I believe. And I don't have the special tool to adjust the H and L screws. That actually upsets me that they would do that on a carb. I should probably purchase one of those.

You're right, those newer 'special' adjustment tools are a PITA. I just gave up and bought a set of 4 on eBay for like $12 with shipping. All of a sudden, saws that need them started appearing!

welcome to AS jim. if that craftsman/roper is a 3.7 you may actually like it. i have one with a 20" bar and, while its nowhere near the fastest saw in the stable, it has pretty good torque and never bogs.
just acquire your tools a little bit at a time and before you know it you will have a pretty good set. you'll still need more tools though.

They would do it because after working with these saws, I am convinced that Mac engineers based in Los Angeles in the 60s and 70s smoked dope while on their breaks. My SP81 IPLs show four different part numbers for the various carbs installed on those saws. The best one by far is the fully adjustable Walbro SDC. I would offer my spare if it wasn't my spare.

You can find one here in the Swap Meet thread, the Garage Sale thread or the Old Magnesium and North American Lawn Furniture (or whatever) thread .... :)

Just refer to it as a 'fully adjustable Walbro SDC' and folks will know what you mean ...

The Germans who made the decisions on my Stihl FS 55 must have been smoking dope as well. It's my understanding that hashish is more readily available in Europe, which might explain the four different carbs they used.

The splined carb tool is worth the $10.00, or less, investment. Once you use it you'll see that it's much easier to use on a running saw compared to trying to fit a small blade screwdriver into a small small slotted adjustment screw.

The guy that gave me the Roper said he used it for years and was full of torque. I just started to work on them because I need to get working on my wood pile.

67 Driver. I have to admit it crossed my mind last night. Honestly I like the saws that start. Pulling is for crazies.

Welcome

jfhoss

Welcome to the site.

I want to say that you for sure don't need that Mac. They are horrible and dangerous.

I will send you a message with my address and I will cage it up for you so you don''t have to deal with it any more. (please):rock:

TBOW,
I am soooo wanting to get rid of that ugly yellow thing. I would even put a $100 in the box just for you to take it off my hands. It's a screamer. But I think I like the carb idea. At the least I will be ordering the parts suggested by warper.

TBOW,
I am soooo wanting to get rid of that ugly yellow thing. I would even put a $100 in the box just for you to take it off my hands. It's a screamer. But I think I like the carb idea. At the least I will be ordering the parts suggested by warper.

'Ugly yellow thing?'

My SP81 takes offense to that comment ....

GEDC0371.jpg

'warper?' .... (sigh) it HAS been butchered worse ....

Thanks Warped,

Jim,
Welcome to the maddening world of CAD, and that's a nice start you have in that saw line up.

Here is the fully adjustable carburetor. I have a really clean Pro Mac 800 I rescued from a meth powered tinkerer, that ground down the inlet barb on the Tilly carb to run non stock fuel line.......:dizzy: When I tried to extract the barb it broke off flush, so with the help of AS member Eccentric (Aaron) I replaced it with this fully adjustable model carburetor. I bought a brand new one, so no rebuild was neccessary.

USED WALBRO SDC CARB P/N 2-76 38A | eBay

'Ugly yellow thing?'

My SP81 takes offense to that comment ....

GEDC0371.jpg

'warper?' .... (sigh) it HAS been butchered worse ....

Just so we're clear, Warped only prefers the following derivations of his name:

Wing Nut
Uncle Teddy
Uncle Teddy Wing Nut
UTWN

Over, and out.

Warped5, please excuse my poor typing skills. Apparently the D and R are too close on the keyboard. Yeah I was being facetious about the ugly yellow thing. I believe they painted them that color because one would saw so much wood that it would pile up around the worker and the yellow aided rescue in spotting them from the helicopters above. Had to be the reason.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I think I did well for my first summer of CAD. The hard part is saying no. I need to get these running first.

Funny story. I had some buddies out a couple weeks ago. We had a high wind storm which took down some big limbs. My buddies were anxious to get out all my saws and cut some wood. Not one would start. Except the Homelite Super 2. Even though I told them I hadn't worked on them yet, they thought it was funny how I get out the little saw to work with. So to get back at them I brought out the Poulan Pro and told them they would have to do a shot for every 5 pulls to try and get it started. (we were done working by now so no safety concerns. We all know it won't start). Made a very good drinking game. And it wore off some of the ribbing.

Back