Hello. My name is Jim. I have CAD. Here is my summer haul. And some questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John 1212. So is that the carb I need on ebay?

And concerning
Wing Nut
Uncle Teddy
Uncle Teddy Wing Nut
UTWN

Niner
Over and Out

John 1212. So is that the carb I need on ebay?

And concerning
Wing Nut
Uncle Teddy
Uncle Teddy Wing Nut
UTWN

Niner
Over and Out

Jim,
Yes that's the model you desire. Check around for someone here in the "Swap Meet" thread that might have one along with the molded fuel line, or check eBay for the same to save on shipping. As I mentioned before I bought the carburetor "new" to save on having to rebuild it, but that's just my preference.
Be glad you got the SP81, as my Pro Mac 800 is the one model in that 82 cc series without a compression release valve. These saws will pull a 28" bar with ease.
Jonathan

Jon1212,
How do you pull it with out a compressor release? I'm afraid I would break the starter cord. I don't believe mine would turn over but one or two turns. It's happened on accident when I forgot.

I really like the feel of the 81. It sounds like an old motorcycle and feels like it will go through wood with out me pushing.

Is there a sponsor on this site which sells the carb new?

Jon1212,
How do you pull it with out a compressor release? I'm afraid I would break the starter cord. I don't believe mine would turn over but one or two turns. It's happened on accident when I forgot.

I really like the feel of the 81. It sounds like an old motorcycle and feels like it will go through wood with out me pushing.

Is there a sponsor on this site which sells the carb new?

The same way I start my Husqvarna 2100CD (99cc's and no decomp). Timing, and I make sure to grip the starter handle deeper in my hand. Prayer helps too..........LOL!!!

Here's a sponsor that will have good used, and NOS (New Old Stock) parts, but the carb the have is used.
Chainsawr World's largest inventory of Chainsaw Parts

I would still suggest you post up what you need in the Swap Meet thread as there are lots of great folks here that may have exactly what you need.

Jim, being the cheap b@$t@rd I am, when I had to adjust a poulan carb for a friend, I used an 1-1/2" piece of 1/4" soft copper tubing.

I squeezed one end flat (fit my screwdriver) and tapped it gently over the mixture screws, which cut the splines into the soft copper. (I did run the tubing cutter around it to tighten it up @ one point, tho')

Worked great, although there are several different sizes, I understand.

Nice collection, the super xl will be the most forgiving and reliable of the bunch - (no matter what anyone else says)

luck,greg

On the hard starting Poulan. When it hasn't been run, put a little spritz of mix gas (not starting fluid) directly into the carb and see if it takes off on the first pull. If it does, you may have an air leak, your carb may be set too lean or your choke may not be closing all the way.

Does the saw run well when hot and does it restart easily after it has been running?

The 3.7/3700 and the smaller Poulan 3400 are pretty bulletproof saws. I sold my 3.7 and am also parting with my 3400 because I prefer modern saws for everyday use. (I'm not a collector)

The roper 3.7 saws don't seem to sell well but they cut well per comments I have seen about them (never used one)

Hope you get these things squared away and making chips soon!

I apologize. I forgot to take pictures last night. But will have them tonight. Some progress abounds

On one of the 3700 Poulans I fished out the fuel line in the gas tank and noticed there was no filter. The filter was bouncing around unattached. The fuel line was sooo bad when I grabbed it with my fingers it split. So new line it is. Do you know if this is something I can get at a NAPA auto parts store? This saw has awesome spark. I'm guessing it's the fuel lines causing problems.

On the other 3700 Poulan I had not messed with it besides cleaning the case inside and out. It didn't even have a bar and chain on it. So I fished the line out of the gas tank and it looked newer. Almost a fluorescent color. And the filter was still attached. So I put half a tank of mix in it. Pulled it 5 times and off she went. I let it idle for 15 minutes after tuning it. Put a new 20 inch bar and chain with some oil in the reservoir. I went after a 20 inch trunk from an ash which had sat for about 6 months. I could not believe how fast it went through. And the spikes work awesome. Never used a saw with them. Wow. I've been missing out all these years.

Super XL, I ordered a new Clutch Drum because the current one is very worn. So much so that it skipped when trying to cut with it. I did however see how long it would run at idle. It was over an hour before I just shut it off. This saw just runs and runs and runs.

I'm going to have to just order the parts on the Mac. I got it running last night again but then it just took off on it's own. High rpms with no throttle. I've obviously got a fuel line and carb issue. I'll be ordering those parts in the next week.

Craftsman Roper. This is a big saw. 20 inch bar. It has no spark. I removed the cover and full of oily sawdust. I'm guessing the coil. But it looks fine. Is there a way I can test it with a multi meter?

The Poulan Pro 42cc with anti vibe. The one my wife gave me. Well I've hated the saw from the beginning because it would not start worth a crap after it was hot. It also didn't idle. So last night I got it started and adjusted the idle screw. This screw does not use the special tools. I will be making those tools via greg409 suggestion. Yes I also am a cheap b@$^&!d. I let it idle for 30 minutes. Shut it off and it started right back up.

Little story. Something I forgot to add about my haul this summer. While going into a big box lumber store they had a new looking WildThing chained to the entrace pole with a note on it. This was before I picked up my other saws. And actually what brought me to this site. :) The sign on the WildThing said "$20.00. Motor Stuck" It was a 40 cc like my Poulan Pro so I thought I could buy it and use the filter, plug, bar, chain etc for the yellow one. When I got it home I looked into the muffler to see if some moron had straight gassed it. Piston looked like new. The bar had all the paint on it yet. Only a little saw dust on the saw. I start looking around and noticed a small screw had lodged itself between the rotor/flywheel and saw body. I removed the screw and bam. New loaner saw. $20. It actually isn't a bad trim saw. I adjusted the idle on it last night also.

And I adjusted the idle on my dads little Homelite super 2. This saw always starts. Always.

So it was about 11:30 last night and I had
Super XL
Poulan 3700
Poulan Pro 42 cc
WildThing 40cc
Super 2
All idling at the same time. I was running the fuel out of them to clear the lines. All of them ran until empty. Except the Super XL. Which had run the longest and never out of fuel. I finally shut it off and opened the cap. No gas mix. Bone dry. I have no idea what it was running on besides good memories. Amazing saw.

.... on the Mac, you may have an air leak as well.

There is an intake boot between the tank and the engine. May want to check it for cracks and a correct fit.

The Germans who made the decisions on my Stihl FS 55 must have been smoking dope as well. It's my understanding that hashish is more readily available in Europe, which might explain the four different carbs they used.

The splined carb tool is worth the $10.00, or less, investment. Once you use it you'll see that it's much easier to use on a running saw compared to trying to fit a small blade screwdriver into a small small slotted adjustment screw.

You can also use a piece of bent copper tubing to put over the screw to adjust it. It's soft enough that it makes it's own splines.

Thanks Warped5 on the Mac. I pulled off the air filter cover and started moving around the fuel line to the carb. Everytime I moved it I heard a hissing sound. Pressure from the fuel tank was being released. Moved it a little more and found a tear where it connects to the carb. This could be the primary problem I feel. I need to order that line and spring. Any advice on how to pull the line through the tank without destroying something. And no I haven't used the search for this question.

Thanks Warped5 on the Mac. I pulled off the air filter cover and started moving around the fuel line to the carb. Everytime I moved it I heard a hissing sound. Pressure from the fuel tank was being released. Moved it a little more and found a tear where it connects to the carb. This could be the primary problem I feel. I need to order that line and spring. Any advice on how to pull the line through the tank without destroying something. And no I haven't used the search for this question.

When you remove the old one, pay attention to which peices go where (and salvage the spring if you already have one). Just get a piece of wire and feed it through the hole from the carb box into the fuel tank, then out through the filler hole. Slide your new fuel line over the wire until it pokes into the carb box, then remove the wire. Pull fuel line until the 'bullet shaped' part comes through the wall and seals off the connection. Voila!

I did a search for posting pictures and came up with nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

On the 3700 Poulan. On Tuesday night I went out and it started right up. Sounded good. Had never started it before. I shut it off and it would not start. I looked in the gas tank and the filter had detached from the line. The line was also very badly crumbling. So I followed Modified Marks thread and replaced the fuel and breather line and the duckbill. It still wouldn't start. I had a carb kit so I rebuilt the carb. It was very dirty inside. I blow out all the holes with wd40 and soaked the new gaskets and diaphragm in mix before I installed. Still no start. I have amazing spark. Good compression.(I don't have a tester but it pulls hard and the piston looks good through the muffler. I am at a loss on this thing. What else should I try? When I pull the plug it is wet from the mix. New air filter, rebuilt carb, new lines, spark. What is missing?

On the 3700 Poulan. On Tuesday night I went out and it started right up. Sounded good. Had never started it before. I shut it off and it would not start. I looked in the gas tank and the filter had detached from the line. The line was also very badly crumbling. So I followed Modified Marks thread and replaced the fuel and breather line and the duckbill. It still wouldn't start. I had a carb kit so I rebuilt the carb. It was very dirty inside. I blow out all the holes with wd40 and soaked the new gaskets and diaphragm in mix before I installed. Still no start. I have amazing spark. Good compression.(I don't have a tester but it pulls hard and the piston looks good through the muffler. I am at a loss on this thing. What else should I try? When I pull the plug it is wet from the mix. New air filter, rebuilt carb, new lines, spark. What is missing?

Major, or minor rebuild? You might still have some blockage in the carb. If the plug is "wet" I believe this would indicate something is staying "open" to allow to much fuel through.

It's flooded and you need to figure out why. Set the H and L screws to about 1 1/4 turns out after you've verified that the metering lever in the carb is set at the right height.

Gasket, filter screens 2, diaphragm, needle(attaches to the spring lever thingy) It's the Walbro HDB K10 kit.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back