Hello. My name is Jim. I have CAD. Here is my summer haul. And some questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set the H and L at 1 and 1/2 turns each. What should the idle be set. It was set at 4.5 turns out. I reset to 1.5 after it still wouldn't start. Excuse my ignorance. What is the metering lever?

Gasket, filter screens 2, diaphragm, needle(attaches to the spring lever thingy) It's the Walbro HDB K10 kit.
Thanks

Whoa!!! Don't start flingin' around your high falutin' technical terms. This is a friendly place, and we'd prefer to keep it simple................:hmm3grin2orange:

I just found on acres site what I may have done. I put the diaphragm under the gasket. Would this cause my problem. For some reason last night I was searching and couldn't find the breakdown on this carb. I found one on a different forum and they stated to make sure the gasket is on top of the diaphragm. So that is what I did. But now I see that was incorrect.

I just found on acres site what I may have done. I put the diaphragm under the gasket. Would this cause my problem. For some reason last night I was searching and couldn't find the breakdown on this carb. I found one on a different forum and they stated to make sure the gasket is on top of the diaphragm. So that is what I did. But now I see that was incorrect.

Well, that's DEFINITELY part of the problem.

The metering lever is that 'high falutin'' thingy that Jon referred to. In MOST cases, the top of the lever should be even with the top of the carb body.

Note to self: In most carbs, the gasket is next to the carb body on the metering side and the diaphragm(s) are next to the carb body on the pump side.

Well, that's DEFINITELY part of the problem.

The metering lever is that 'high falutin'' thingy that Jon referred to. In MOST cases, the top of the lever should be even with the top of the carb body.

Note to self: In most carbs, the gasket is next to the carb body on the metering side and the diaphragm(s) are next to the carb body on the pump side.

Uncle Ted,
So where do the dead mice fit in?

Just ordered the fuel line, spring and a new air filter for the super pro 81. Very excited to start cutting with this saw.

Ok so I took the carb back apart on the 3700 poulan. And guess what? I switched both sides. So that is now fixed. Put carb back on. And no start. Good spark. Gas on plug. I pulled the plug and am letting it dry inside. Thought maybe it was soo flooded from my pulling last night. Any more advice my wise sensei'. I am but a grasshopper.

Ok so I took the carb back apart on the 3700 poulan. And guess what? I switched both sides. So that is now fixed. Put carb back on. And no start. Good spark. Gas on plug. I pulled the plug and am letting it dry inside. Thought maybe it was soo flooded from my pulling last night. Any more advice my wise sensei'. I am but a grasshopper.

D'ja check that metering lever height whilst you were in there?

Yep. Used a straight edge across the top and resting the flat edge on the lever it pulled it up just to touch the needle. Anything lower and it pulls it up. Just like the Walbro manual states that I should have read the first time. :bang:

Did you check the spring under the metering lever to make sure it was on the nipple on the bottom of the metering lever. Tom

TBOW,
I am soooo wanting to get rid of that ugly yellow thing. I would even put a $100 in the box just for you to take it off my hands. It's a screamer. But I think I like the carb idea. At the least I will be ordering the parts suggested by warper.

You can send that ugly yellow thing my way. I'll even let you keep the $100. What a nice guy I am.:D

My well worn SP-81 pulls a 32" bar in oak and maple just fine. It would welcome a twin brother on the shelf. Great old saws.

That grey Craftsman 3.7 you have is actually a Poulan 3800. Basically the same saw as a 3700, except the piston is chromed and the bore is bare alluminum. Also has thick rings. The 3400 is the same thing with a smaller bore. A 3700 has a chromed cylinder, bare piston, and thick rings. Your grey and red 3.7 could be either a 3700 or 3800, as Sears sold red 3.7's that were each model (although most seem to be 3700's). The grey 3.7's were all 3800's.

The Homelite is a great saw. Don't let Ted's "no comment" fool you. They're stone reliable and good runners.

Tom,
good question. I did check that the spring was firmly resting over the nipple.

Nothing. Nada. It just will not go. I'm very confused because it did run on Tuesday night. Started on the second pull. But then would not restart. I still have the carb off just in case I get another suggestion that has to do with removing the carb. Thanks for your help guys.

Update on the 3700. I pulled the muffler. It was clean but definitely had gas in it. For good measure I removed the spark screen. I also checked the flywheel. Does not look to be off the key. While the starter side was off I noticed that when I installed new fuel lines the duck bill line(duck bill is also new) was crimped. I straightened it out a little. It's still not starting. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Update on the Homelite Super XL. I recieved the new 7 tooth drive. Put it on tonight. I'm starting to cut tomorrow so will test it out. Very excited to see some chips flying.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

...That grey Craftsman 3.7 you have is actually a Poulan 3800. Basically the same saw as a 3700, except the piston is chromed and the bore is bare alluminum. Also has thick rings. ...

so, my red craftsman 3.7 has chromed piston, aluminum bore, and THIN rings. what poulan model is it equivalent to? please don't tell me it should have thick rings since i just ordered thin rings.

Cut wood this weekend with the 3800. WOW WOW WOW. At first I thought maybe it was a gas hog because if felt like I was filling it up a lot. Then I would look at the wood cut. Mostly 18 inch Ash trunk. And the speed it was done. It is really amazing how fast they can go through wood. It would bog down if I put to much pressure down. But if I just worked it back and forth it went right through.

Any other suggestions on the 3700 Gray Craftsman? I'm at a loss as to why it won't start. Should I get a compression tester? If yes what would it be called when I ask at ACE?

Cut wood this weekend with the 3800. WOW WOW WOW. At first I thought maybe it was a gas hog because if felt like I was filling it up a lot. Then I would look at the wood cut. Mostly 18 inch Ash trunk. And the speed it was done. It is really amazing how fast they can go through wood. It would bog down if I put to much pressure down. But if I just worked it back and forth it went right through.

Any other suggestions on the 3700 Gray Craftsman? I'm at a loss as to why it won't start. Should I get a compression tester? If yes what would it be called when I ask at ACE?

Just check the basics, spark, compression first. If it has over 100 psi it should start. You can squirt a little fuel mix into the carb and see if it fires. If it does it probably needs something done to the fuel system.

Major Update

WOW WOW WOW. Big thanks to Warped. Sent me a carb and kit for the Super Pro 81 Mac. Installed tonight and WOW. Did I say WOW. This thing is a beast. Too late to get into wood. Will do tomorrow on a nice piece of ash I downed a couple weeks ago. Forums great. People are great. We should start solving the worlds problems. Ok, maybe not, but WOW does that Mac scream!

Latest posts

Back