Help build Tanaka's new top handle saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cap?

i see it has two caps on the starter side for fuel and bar oil? but what is the cap on the back of it?

Not sure what you are referring to? Attached is the rear handle version, the TCS-3351PFS.

MW

I'm guessing the little cap on the back end is the sparkplug. Looks nice!

My only grouse would be the honeycomb, it could be hard to keep clean. Apart from that, 'tis very tidy.

NTU, You asked for feedback and I assume you wanted honest replies so I'll give you mine. I read this whole tread top to bottom just now and have a few observations.

First it looks like you guys took all the feedback given here and pretty much tossed it out the window and built the saw you were gonna build anyway.

Still has the small odd size bar nuts.

Still has the saw chip and debris funnel fuel and oil caps, that are still tucked in so you can't get your fingers on them.

What I saw when I read the thread was folks saying they wanted light weight power. At 1.6 hp and 9.1 lbs I think you kinda missed the mark a bit. If you want to put out a serious contender you either have to be better than the competition or at a minimum equal at a cheaper price. At the 300.00 price point you have the MS192T at 1.7 HP and 7 lbs even. Why would someone seek out the Tanaka??? In the real world the MS200T's is the saw to beat...... that's what your shooting for. Why put out another overweight underpowered offering?????

If you guys could make a saw equal to the MS200T at a better price or one better than the MS200T for the same or even close to the same money you will make a killing, people will seek out your product and buy it.

No offence meant but it looks like Echo has some more competition.... but then again I can pretty much pick up an Echo on my way to get bread and milk. I'm not sure where I could pick up a Tanaka even if I wanted to.

You have to do better than that.You can't take the world by storm by pi$$ing in the wind and hoping it turns into something.

Sorry but you did ask.

Is that little choke control looking loop on the back the "lanyard ring"? I don't think that looks too secure if that is! :confused: Don't think I'd want to drop a saw on a 4 foot rope and count on that to keep it in the sky with me if I was 30' up in a tree....

NTU, You asked for feedback and I assume you wanted honest replies so I'll give you mine. I read this whole tread top to bottom just now and have a few observations.

First it looks like you guys took all the feedback given here and pretty much tossed it out the window and built the saw you were gonna build anyway.

Still has the small odd size bar nuts.

Still has the saw chip and debris funnel fuel and oil caps, that are still tucked in so you can't get your fingers on them.

What I saw when I read the thread was folks saying they wanted light weight power. At 1.6 hp and 9.1 lbs I think you kinda missed the mark a bit. If you want to put out a serious contender you either have to be better than the competition or at a minimum equal at a cheaper price. At the 300.00 price point you have the MS192T at 1.7 HP and 7 lbs even. Why would someone seek out the Tanaka??? In the real world the MS200T's is the saw to beat...... that's what your shooting for. Why put out another overweight underpowered offering?????

If you guys could make a saw equal to the MS200T at a better price or one better than the MS200T for the same or even close to the same money you will make a killing, people will seek out your product and buy it.

No offence meant but it looks like Echo has some more competition.... but then again I can pretty much pick up an Echo on my way to get bread and milk. I'm not sure where I could pick up a Tanaka even if I wanted to.

You have to do better than that.You can't take the world by storm by pi$$ing in the wind and hoping it turns into something.

Sorry but you did ask.

Erick gets it, I agree with everything he has said.:clap:
I can get an Echo top handle for less than this saw, with less weight. I even chose to save a buck and bought the 192t instead of the 200t.
I now own the 200t and have sold the 192t.
We want light and powerful. But we will give up some weight for the power. This is a compromise of niether! It's an underpowered tank and I don't think anyone will seriously even consider it as a viable option with the Echo and 192t saws available.

nice looking saw, again it comes down to where can i buy one? i see that you did add a ridge on the oil / gas fill areas too keep trash out when over flow.
and the lanyard ring is retractable? would be will to try one out if i could find somebody that is stocking it and parts.

found a dealer, it is only 40 mile in a direction i never go, you think in a area like syracuse, you would have a few dealers.
i will be a dealer if i could sell them out of my barn.

Last edited:
Tanaka saws

I'm a Tanaka dealer in Southeast Missouri and they're great saws. The only beef I have with Tanaka is, where did the bigger 60+ CC saws go? We've been a dealer for around 25 or so years now. They never let us know why they dropped the bigger models. We sold tons of the bigger Tanakas and everyone is just now wanting to replace them and we can't get them, so they're all going to Redmax's 621.

1. 1.6 hp motor nowhere near strong enough for a pro-saw, won't even come within cooee of a 200t for performance.

2. Way overweight.

3. Bulky filter housing will give poor access to the top handle when using above shoulder height. It'll crock your wrist with continual use.

4. Top handle design too cramped and you'll cop vibration on your trigger finger knuckle from the chassis if it's a 'handle only' AV setup.

5. Basically just another boring as batsh*t echo!!

6. Sorry...

1. 1.6 hp motor nowhere near strong enough for a pro-saw, won't even come within cooee of a 200t for performance.

2. Way overweight.

3. Bulky filter housing will give poor access to the top handle when using above shoulder height. It'll crock your wrist with continual use.

4. Top handle design too cramped and you'll cop vibration on your trigger finger knuckle from the chassis if it's a 'handle only' AV setup.

5. Basically just another boring as batsh*t echo!!

6. Sorry...

Woah, woah. You're saying all that and you've never even run it?? Tell you what, you can't just go by what it says on paper and what it looks like in the picture. Holding it in your hands and actually using it is the only way you can rightfully draw a conclusion. I've found that out more than once. Some saws just "feel right" in your hands and in the cut, even when they don't look so good on paper. Then again, that's JMO.

Woah, woah. You're saying all that and you've never even run it?? Tell you what, you can't just go by what it says on paper and what it looks like in the picture. Holding it in your hands and actually using it is the only way you can rightfully draw a conclusion. I've found that out more than once. Some saws just "feel right" in your hands and in the cut, even when they don't look so good on paper. Then again, that's JMO.

You're dead right, you've gotta use the thing for a day at least to truly find out the ergonomics, but 1.6 hp don't cut the mustard.. well.. maybe it could cut thru mustard..

But then again, looking at the state of the chain it's toting.. good for watered down mustard maybe?... :smoking:

You're dead right, you've gotta use the thing for a day at least to truly find out the ergonomics, but 1.6 hp don't cut the mustard.. well.. maybe it could cut thru mustard..

If I may steal a quote from another AS member, "It's not always just horsepower, it's also powerband" (not verbatim).

I'm not saying this saw is any good, I just think you're jumping to conclusions :)

I promise it's a well educated conclusion, 32cc and 1.2KW, it's always going to be an egg-beater saw and the claimed weight really hammers the final nail in it's coffin :givebeer:

I think the Mfg's dont take into consideration the input from the field enough.
This really proves it.

We arent little lilly livered limp wristed japs over here. Im sure a top handle 346 would sell like wildfire. The main complaints power, not power to weight, or size or anything, just power.

Acres of fancy plastic on that saw, maybe it is comfy and luxurious, more wank-factor than anything probably, the saw's shaped like a armchair, if they were serious about a new TH saw they should've gone a 338 style case with a kickass 200T motor lurking within

I agree on the mini saw concept, but there should be a high end one as well that uses titanium and carbon fiber to make it as light as possible, like 4lb. If it was proven as durable as other pro grade saws I would buy one, even if it cost a grand.

I agree on the mini saw concept, but there should be a high end one as well that uses titanium and carbon fiber to make it as light as possible, like 4lb. If it was proven as durable as other pro grade saws I would buy one, even if it cost a grand.

I like the ti and carbon fiber idea, would make a light weight saw but high costs may drive away some. Everyone knows the 200T is top dog but she is pricey. Lots of Ti/CF and a saw that has been ported......:chainsaw:

I don't see it happeing with the EPA deadline coming up.

Latest posts

Back