Help identifying a Homelite XL series

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new member and see there is a vast amount of experience and knowlege here.

I have an old Homelite XL, I think 800 or 900 series that my Dad used in the woods in Washington in the late 60's or early 70's. It runs like a top, but I would really like to find the exact model number. The recoil assembly has been changed, as the body of the saw is red, and the recoil is green. Here is what I know about the saw so far.

The body is red, manual and automatic oiler. Carb is a Tillotson # HS105B, and the R/H case # is 63006C. I'm pretty sure it has points as the flywheel is a Wico. I'm heading to town to get some log bolts now to pull the flywheel and see what's under there. I pulled the muffler and there are two piston rings both the same width.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Lars

HiOctane your url didn't load anything, but perhaps this is the website you were trying to load?

www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf

If not, you can go here and under chainsaw categories find Homelite then you can go and look at all the info you want... This is a great site that Mike Acres created to view vast info on any saw. If this doesn't help you then perhaps you could load some images of your saw and see what people have to say ;)

GPH85 said:
HiOctane your url didn't load anything, but perhaps this is the website you were trying to load?

www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf

If not, you can go here and under chainsaw categories find Homelite then you can go and look at all the info you want... This is a great site that Mike Acres created to view vast info on any saw. If this doesn't help you then perhaps you could load some images of your saw and see what people have to say ;)
OOps,just saw it was not loading.Yes it was Acresinternet.

Isint anybody going to welcome the new guy?

Hi New guy!!
attachment.php

You can look up your UT# here...... http://odref.com/homelite/chainsaw/index.html

Thats if it still has the UT on it.

Thanks for the help. I've searched both sites all day. No UT# on the saw. Still no luck finding which model it is. I think is an XL-900 series, but the carb # doesn't match up. I'm beginning to think it's several saws combined into one. That wouldn't surprise me. When I was a kid, dad ran it over with a Cat, and the saw shop rebuilt it for him. When she's running good I'd guess it spins close to 10K RPM. It sounds like it's going top come right out of your hands. I've had 3 neighbors come out of thier houses to see what the h*** was making all the noise. It was awesome.

I'll try to post a few pictures tomorrow night so you guys can take a look at it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Lars

AHHHH YES, I forgot didn't I :biggrinbounce2: WELCOME :cheers:

As per saw, I agree don't think you will have to worry about any leaks on the tank unless some of those "pauses" during the welding process develop any pinholes resulting in leaks :dizzy:

The only way to narrow down a saw like this is to pull the cylinder off and measure both bore and stroke of the piston and crank... This will more than likely narrow down your saw to the 2 or 3 possibilities range, that is if your willing or want to pull the cylinder to measure these...

Sorry we can't be of more assistance...
Greg

I did get a measurement on the bore and it's 2.06" Are the rotating assemblies of the XL series virtually the same as far as replcement parts go?

I would surmise, primairly by looking at the clutch and manual oiler setups that this saw is an SXL-925. Most of it anyway. Other parts and covers have probably come off of other 9xx series saws.

I've personally never seen these saws in person to tell anyone the difference in them side by side, but what I do know is that with the bore spec you gave of 2.06" = 2.0625" all of these saws had the same bores and bassically the same styling...

Some of the VI series (925 and so on)
XL 923 - XL 955

Even the carbs on these saws were all pretty much the same, so I guess we'll just have to call it a XL925 like retoocs555 said it was plus the kill switch and oiler do match the 925, so perhaps it is...

Just a couple of observations that indicate parts that are NOT on a SXL-925:

1. 100_0157.jpg - Intake manifold is metal. 925 uses a plastic/composite subtance. The aluminum was used on earlier models.
2. 925s have rubber covers on the rear hand grip. The grip on this one would at least have slots if the rubber was missing.
3. front handle bar is definitely from an older than 925 design.
4. Gas cap is older design.
5. What diameter are the bar bolts? I can't tell, but they "look" smaller than 3/8s. Earlier models had smaller bar mounting bolts.
6. Ignition is definitely NOT as used on a 925. This one looks like it has points. All 925s had either a 3 piece or a 1 piece electronic ignition.
7. Take a look at the rings. I can't see from the pics, but 925s had thin rings.

Dan

Dan is right on the money here.

The 925 has a 2-1/16" bore, the 700/901 etc... have a 2" bore.

Yours looks to be an older 700/800/900 series saw.

Overall, they are great saws & most parts interchange.

Thanks for all the info.

So, attached is a picture of the piston and rings. The bar bolts are smaller than 3/8 and I remeasured the bore and it is 2 1/16"

Does that narrow it down a bit?

Thanks again for the help.
Lars

It looks like those are thin rings from the pic. I'm not sure what saws in the series other than the 925 used thin rings, but there weren't many. Any chance the piston was changed from the original saw?

Dan

Thems definatly the thin rings.

I was going to menting taking a pic but I didnt as I was sure it would show thick rings.

A genuine conundrum we have here.

It's quite possible the piston has been changed. I recall it was, after dad ran over it with the dozer. The compression of the saw is unbelieveable. I've gone through 3 starter ropes in not much time at all. It sure runs like a scalded dog though.

This all helps in case I need to look for parts.

Thanks!!!

Hello! Lars
And welcome,If you have found what you need you can check out this site
http://www.ordertree.com/ARI.aspx?Mfg=40&Model=XL 800
It has info on ever Homelite ever made and if the link doesn't work just use
www.ordertree.com and click on WorkShop Wizard and in the left hand corner select Manufacture-Homilite and for Model# just put XL - It'll take you to next page then select veiw parts list and scrool down to XL901 there was an 800 but no 900 but there is 901,903,904,921,923,923FP,924 & 924W then the 98C series.
Hope this Helps and if it doesn't PM me and I'll help you Identify it. I collect old Homelites so I'm sure we can find any parts you need. Look for UT# under off/on toggle switch or ID plate on tag on right side of carb.

Good Luck!
Mike E.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back