Help identifying a Homelite XL series

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found IT!!

Hey! Lars
I 'm pretty sure your Homey is a Super XL925W with carb # HS151-B.
If you go to my post just 2 above this one and follow it I'm sure you'll agree this is your saw. If you need any other help just Holla!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Mike E.

My guess would be it was originally either a 901, 903, or 904, with a SXL925 piston / cylinder and clutch installed on it and some blue series starter cover. The fact that it has 5/16" bar nuts and no rubber on the rear handle means its definitely not originally a 92x series saw. I don't have IPLs for any of the 91x series, so it may have been one of these as well. Have you ever looked under the flywheel? If it has a funky electronic trigger device, it may have been a 904. If its points, then it may have been a 901 or 903. Without having the original piston and cylinder, it'll be tough to know the difference.

Whatever it was originally, it now contains parts from various models. Just shows how well they interchange. Homelite had some great series of saws, steadily improving as time went by. The 900s are certainly some of my favorites.

Dan

I did get the flywheel off last night and it does have points. What I found interesting is that the case has been welded around the inside under the flywheel. I'll post some more pictures tonight.

One more question, is there supposed to be some play in the connecting rod? It's just a hair, but something I'm not used to seeing.

Shouldn't be any noticeable play... You may have a missing needle or wore out needles...

I think everyone on here needs to keep in mind that you can't really go by most of the exterior looks... When a saw is run over by something heavy most of this has to be replaced such as the handle and so on and possibly the cylinder and piston depending on how heavy the vehicle is... The only thing I can't figure out is why the shop didn't put original parts back on this saw :confused: Don't most shops put what the saw had on it, back on it...

Just a thought...

Greg

Latest posts

Back