Help me decide PS 5100 or 260 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm Stihl needs something to compete with the 5100/346xp and those saws are high on performance for sure and both would be a fun saw to own but you can beat the piss out of a 260 and run it for years and the parts are everywhere in stock no dealer issues no ordering for most parts and they hold value a little better than Dolmar that is something you don't read about much I mean you list a Dolmar saw in a local paper and see what happens but you list a Stihl/Husky and everyone and their brother will call just my opinion but you have to decide if the extra performance from the 5100 is what you need. I like the proven bulletproof models that everyone owns pro or not brands don't matter what matters is if you are happy with your purchase no matter what you end up with.

The 260 is 18 yrs. old and truly shows it. That is not necessarily a bad thing thing just that the 5100 has the benefit of current technology.

For me this is an easy decision.........even without a local dealer (which I don't have any that are worth a shat) I would and did pick the 5100 over the 260.................any day any week!!!

You have sponsors here that can cover you on parts..............and like you said you already have a 7900!

Total no-brainer!!!

026/260 just because I do not have any personal exp with the 5100. I have a lot of experience with the 026/260 and I can also vouch for their dependability, reliability, and performance. I think the 5100 is probably a real good saw also based on what I've read on here.

Last edited:
In average wood around here a saw in that class is to small to not handicap my production time (firewood) so if I thought this saw was going to be the one I was using most of the day the 5100 should have the advantage of out producing the 260 giving you a higher profit margin. I do not like to work on big wood with less then 60 cc and 70 cc class is usually my preference in average wood with a smaller saw to cut the tops down closer to the ground keeps me from tiring out to much. I use an 026 1 tank of gas to 2 on my 044 average and go with a bigger duo in bigger trees.
The Stihl has advantages of service and parts availability,excellant track record for reliability and resale value, is a little lighter,mabe more compact which I look at as an asset cause my tool box space is limited.
I do not know the Dolmar as well but the power might pay if you run it more then I probably would in firewood production.

026/260 just because I do not have any personal exp with the 5100. I have a lot of experience with the 026/260 and I can also vouch for their dependability, reliability, and performance. I think the 5100 is probably a real good saw also based on what I've read on here.

I have a few of the 5100s's :) :) and three 026 pro's that are almost stock ;) ;) ........Brad the 5100's are nice running saws.....

I still like the 026's :cheers: :cheers:

I would have a hard time spending money on a new 260. A deal on a used one, sure. The 260 is a very old design. It looks, feels and runs like a 20 year old design. It is a great saw and I like running it, but I reach for the 350 when I want to get the work done, it is just smoother and easier to use. I don't know anything about the 5100s but it has to be a better saw than the 260.
Brad (duckin)

No experience with the 5100. Have run a 260 for years with no problems, not even with the filter Peter. BLAH,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH......................

If you like them both choose the one with the better dealer service to you if it's important.

I have a few of the 5100s's :) :) and three 026 pro's that are almost stock ;) ;) ........Brad the 5100's are nice running saws.....

I still like the 026's :cheers: :cheers:

Steve - I don't doubt that at all.

I just have a hard time recommending something or formulating a bold opinion on something I have limited or no personal experience with, unlike some others on this site ; ).

Both saws are excellent choices. The small Dolmar is the only 50 cc saw I have modded in the last two years, it was a little monster.

rahtreelimbs said:
The 260 is 18 yrs. old and truly shows it.

Actually the design for the saw that would become the MS-260 is about 26 years old. The initial design process for the 024 AV was started in 1981, or maybe as early as 1980. So you're really talking about a saw that's 26 years old.

You can say the same about the MS440, MS660, MS880... everyone's old favorite saws.. the 260 feels just like a small 360 which is like a small 044 which is... etc...

I KNOW the MS260 will still be a viable saw in 20 years time.. and parts everywhere. Doubt the same for the 5100...

As for "new tech".. na.. the 5100 is just a saw... :popcorn:

they are both great saws.i like the 5100 better.

you also have to consider the dealers.dolmar has got to get it together in this category.i couldn't blame you one bit for picking the stihl if you have good dealer support close by.their saws do last if maintained and parts availabilty is pretty good even though expensive sometimes.stihl makes great chainsaws no doubt.

i just got the 346xp new addition and i'd pick it again over both those saws.depending on dealer support of course.

Thanks for all your input.
Going over and pickup my 5100 in the mornin.
Gal I'm dealing with made it $375 & tax. (plus 2 free chains)
Too much difference not to give it a try.

Gonna get a 6200 watt generator while I'm there.
Haven't forgotten the 5 days without power, last March.
Power poles down everywhere, had to drive 6 miles out of my way to find a route home! (Thank God we had a woodburner & a LP cook stove!)
Worst was no water (well pump)
Never again!

Last edited:
5100 is a fine choice.

great little saw.i almost bought one after trying my buddies but i decided to wait for the new 346xp.they both run neck and neck.it's just personnal preference.i hate red! that and no dealer close by i chose the husky.

They aren't really comparable - get the 5100S - or get the larger, heavier, and more capable 361.....:greenchainsaw:

We have both, and some others - and the 361 gets about 90% of the use, maybe more......

Last edited:
Congrats, great saw.
Look forward to your report on the test drive.
What bar and chain are they going to put on the 5100? I'd recommend asking them to set the saw up with 3/8.
Good Luck

"They aren't really comparable - get the 5100S - or get the larger, heavier, and more capable 361....."

Already got a 7900....I think I got it covered!

Back