Help me decide PS 5100 or 260 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those 5100's available with decomp yet?

You don't need it - I have never used it on my 50cc 346xp, and never felt the need on the 5100S.

...but I believe Scott has made up some, by putting jugs for the 5000D on 5100s......:)

The Jugs are the same on the 5100 and 5000, but there are other differenses.

Last edited:
Decomp on Small displacement saws not needed.

While I 80 % agree with Saw Troll on his view, the decomp on the 350 Husky was a blessing for my father and a couple of my uncles as they lets say,"progressed into the Golden Years". My Dad in particular due to age, arthritis, etc just had a terrible time cold starting his small Jonsered. He just couldn't spin it fast enough to get it to go. Warm no issue. It really pained him because he had cut his firewood all his life and he enjoyed going out to cut with me on the weekends, but he was just so embarrassed to keep asking me to get his saw running first thing. When the 350 came out with decomp I bought him one. Using the decomp he never had an issue getting his saw to start in 3 or 4 pulls. One happy Dad, (rest in peace). After seeing this 2 of my 7 uncle's that cut wood with him, ran out and grabbed 350's as well.
So I guess the moral of the story is, what what is a non-essential feature to some is a life saver to others.
Take Care

You don't need it - I have never used it on my 50cc 346xp, and never felt the need on the 5100S.

...but I believe Scott has made up some, by putting jugs for the 5000D on 5100s......:)

The Jugs are the same on the 5100 and 5000, but there are other differenses.

Im sending the cylinder from my wifes 5100s to Cuttinscott to have decomp added ...Just have to find time to get at it.....:) :)

Im sending the cylinder from my wifes 5100s to Cuttinscott to have decomp added ...Just have to find time to get at it.....:) :)

Make sure he adds the label -"ELECTRIC START". Then video the first time she uses the saw, and post it :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

While I 80 % agree with Saw Troll on his view, the decomp on the 350 Husky was a blessing for my father and a couple of my uncles as they lets say,"progressed into the Golden Years". My Dad in particular due to age, arthritis, etc just had a terrible time cold starting his small Jonsered. He just couldn't spin it fast enough to get it to go. Warm no issue. It really pained him because he had cut his firewood all his life and he enjoyed going out to cut with me on the weekends, but he was just so embarrassed to keep asking me to get his saw running first thing. When the 350 came out with decomp I bought him one. Using the decomp he never had an issue getting his saw to start in 3 or 4 pulls. One happy Dad, (rest in peace). After seeing this 2 of my 7 uncle's that cut wood with him, ran out and grabbed 350's as well.
So I guess the moral of the story is, what what is a non-essential feature to some is a life saver to others.
Take Care

That is the exact reason I was asking a neighbor fellow is 72 years old farming all his life needed a new saw and I mentioned the 5100, but he opted not to get it because of no decomp. Just seems odd they have decomp on my son's PS-401 but not the 5100.

That is the exact reason I was asking a neighbor fellow is 72 years old farming all his life needed a new saw and I mentioned the 5100, but he opted not to get it because of no decomp. Just seems odd they have decomp on my son's PS-401 but not the 5100.

That is just a desition from Dolmar USA, the euro PS5000 is availiable with decomp, and always has been.

The cylinders exchange between those models, but there are other differenses, like crank, handlebar, coil etc.....

The US 5100S is the more desirable saw, in this case.

Take Care

Yes, that is how it is - I believe saws really should come with a deco valve - then it is up to the user if he or she use it, leave it alone, or plug it...:clap: :clap:

I believe it does no harm if not used.

Saw Troll said "I believe it does no harm if not used."

Well as a matter of fact, it often starts 'quicker' if you do not use it, at least that's been my experience. When I've been using my saw for a while, shut it off, and get ready to re-start it again, I often forget to push down the decomp and it takes off just great. :dizzy:

Saw Troll said "I believe it does no harm if not used."

Well as a matter of fact, it often starts 'quicker' if you do not use it, at least that's been my experience. When I've been using my saw for a while, shut it off, and get ready to re-start it again, I often forget to push down the decomp and it takes off just great. :dizzy:

Fits very well with my experience.......:cheers:

Got home with the new 5100 this afternoon (and new generator)

Fired her up and REALLY fast accel ! Started easy, don't see any need for a decomp on this one.

Sure glad I got the generator too.
Freezing rain all the way home, continuing thru tommorrow night.

Our power provider (Amerin) has a policy of replacing high line poles only AFTER the line gets loaded up with ice and the wind blows em over.:mad:

Thanks again for all your help.

Got home with the new 5100 this afternoon (and new generator)

Fired her up and REALLY fast accel ! Started easy, don't see any need for a decomp on this one.
Congrats on that saw, even though I don't quite agree on the fast accel - other saws are better in that regard,,,,,,:greenchainsaw:

It revs high, yes - but is no accelleration champion..... the MS361 and the 346xp both are better in that regard.

Last edited:
Congrats on that saw, even though I don't quite agree on the fast accel - other saws are better in that regard,,,,,,:greenchainsaw:

It revs high, yes - but is no accelleration champion..... the MS361 and the 346xp both are better in that regard.

Hmmmmm.............Mine rev's really fast........Is your run in yet.....

Does the nano second difference in acceleration really matter???

I don't think you are in any hurry there 'Troll dude!!!

Hmmmmm.............Mine rev's really fast........Is your run in yet.....

I don't have one, but Witchy does - and it revs really fast, but don't accell as fast as the other ones I mentioned - it takes a second or two (or tree)extra to rev it up, for each cut.

Does the nano second difference in acceleration really matter???

I don't think you are in any hurry there 'Troll dude!!!

It is not a nano-second - look at the post above.

Anyway, the fastest "rever-up" I have used is the Euro MS361, and with the new muffler it may be even faster......:cheers:

Latest posts

Back