Hi, meet a female climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lauryn, Welcome and congratulations for picking such a challenging career. Do you handle removals? And I am sure we would be interested in the climbing hitches you use. Would I hire a female climber? Absolutely if she is qualified and pays attention to details.
Watch out for those smooth talkers like Butch, nice guy, great climber, but he only likes the outdoors when it’s dry:D

aaf_shifty.gif

Now that is the best lookin pic I have seen on AS bar none.

MechEng is a lucky fellow... ever get tired of him, I am only 4 years younger than you ... :D

Well Silver, I'm pretty new to all of this stuff so I haven't done too much on my own yet, but the company I work for and the people I work with are doing a great job of training me. I would like to learn how to do everything there is to do in this field and to be as proficient in all of it as I can be, but no one is perfect....not even Butch :D

I first learned how to climb using a tautline hitch with a figure 8 stopper, but iI have switched to a Blake's with a stopper. I find it doesn't roll out as much as a tautline. I use a split tail, and I'm a fan of spliced lines, cause I feel like if I don't have another not to tie then thats one more thing I can't screw up, but if I have to tie in I use a bowline. Where I work, we all pretty much do the same thing, but I'm sure everyone on here has their own way of doing things. I guess thats one of the things I'm most interested in learning about from this site, just the different ways people do stuff. Both VTMechEng and I are new so we want to soak up as much knowledge as possible to get as good as we can.

I used to work strickly SRT, but now I have gone to DdRT (the traditional setuo), to give it a try. I skipped the blakes and went straight to the VT and distel, and they are much better, IMO, than the blakes. The VT is smooth as butter, and the distel is smaller and more compact.

Do you have a copy of Tree Climbers Companion? That is a good book for anyone.

Errr sorry, I fell out of my chair when Carl said he is climbing conventional.
I use the VT myself, sometimes the Distal or Blakes depending on what day it is :D
I am waiting for some new Vertical pro equipment to come available before I start using SRT.
Lot's of great info on this site though, you won't be disapointed in the gang here.
Rob.

Welcome Lauryn, It's refreshing to so see a woman among us. It looks like your heading in the right direction. I'd say your starting out at a great point in climbing. With all the new advances it has gotten so much easier. First I must plead that you not get the wide back weaver with huge slideing D. If you want comfort go for the butterfly from Kommet. If you want something more readily available go with the glide. A girl your size would'nt look good a weaver. After all these guys may not admit it but its about looking good in a tree. I've climbing myself now since I was a teenager so about 15 years. I get really bored anymore. I really do like teaching others who are willing to learn. Perhaps if your interested maybe my associate and I could work something out to help bring you up to speed. This is a great site but if there is so much info here to sift through.

Big John

I am in the running for an Army ROTC scholarship now.

ACK!!!! thats all we need is another young punk officer who thinks he knows everything.

Just Kiddin Carl

Kenn:Monkey:

What do the rest of you think about BigJohns suggestion to not get a Weaver? I will admit that one of the things I like the most about the Weaver is its price, since I don't have a ton of money right now, but I would be open to other suggestions. No matter what I get it will come from Sherrill because my company has a contract with them. Thanks.

Don't let price be the decideing factor. Set your sights on the better saddle and put the money away and save. The only advantage over what you have now is the slideing ring. You can easily adapt a nice sling on your masters saddle for a slideing system and will increase the comfort of that saddle. Just keep in mind safety. I sold my butterfly to a friend who was in a pinch after chipping the other saddle I sold him. I have two others and I went back to using my buckingham versatile that I cut front off of and spliced in some 16 strand for a slideing system over the HP roller. I will have to replace the butterfly before the next competition. Haveing the slider will deffinately help you improve your climbing. Its nice to get new equipmet just dont buy for the sake of buying. Don't take this the wrong way, I was once told one the biggest reasons women are so cranky are the shoes they wear are uncomfortable. I guess they bought them cause they looked good or were on sale. Just what I heard.

Big John

Don't get a weaver. They are unneccesarily heavy and bulky.

I use the master II and like it. The butterfly is very good.

Don't get a saddle with lots of leather!

love
nick

... and,

How about the glide? I use it and what do other users think?

That X-saddle frm Fresco always interested me, does anyone use it?

Jack

Welcome! You said yourself you used many types of saddles. I think you have a good idea of what you want to climb with already. There are so many different saddles out there and just as many different people to wear them. I suggest you get what you already know you feel comfy in. I use a plain 4d saddle from buckingham. It was cheap, and I like it.

[QUOTE
But... but... How can you resist this handsome devil??? :confused: [/QUOTE]

so whens the baby due blaster?:D
Hi lauren, welcome.
So you are a new climber, cool, but what about your saw experience? thats what separates treeclimbers, what they can do with a saw in the air, as opposed to flitting around the tree having fun.

please don't consider this sexist, I have found women to be great workers, when they choose this craft. I hire every woman that seriously wants work.

Lauryn--see if you can try a Ness saddle somewhere. There are several of us who swear by them, the price is good, and Sherrill carries one model.

Latest posts

Back