hiring help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appreciate all the feedback here fellas. I ended up going with guy B, the older dude. He showed up 20 min early today and started hustlin. He hooked the chipper up, loaded tools, I didn't have to get on his ass once today. I was very impressed, it was quite obvious he's worked for a tree service before. I know it was his first day and people try to impress, then end up showing their true colors after a week or so. But if this is the real him then I am a happy camper. Now if I could just find a good climber...

Leaves a message: "Hi, this is Blanety-blank, I see we've had a mild winter so maybe you're getting busy early this year." "I've been climbing for about a year-and-a-half." "Don't call me at the last number I left, that's my girlfiriend's phone; we're not together any more." So he leaves two more phone numbers. I will keep his number(s) on file. I'm looking to hire one good full-time employee and one good part-timer, he's prolly neither, so I added him to my long list of 1-day-laborers: I figure if I keep ten of these guys in rotation, I'll always have the brush dragging covered. What could go wrong....

Ill tell you what could go wrong gets hurt and sues you.

What could go wrong...

We were short a crew member a few years back so I hired a local guy to help out. At the end of the day he says he broke his finger loading a piece of wood. He tried to sue me. Long story shorter(er), the lawyers from my insurance company get involved and investigate this guys medical history. Not only had he broken multiple fingers on both hands while loading stuff over the last ten years, he'd gone to the ER the week before, seems he'd broken the same finger in the same place loading a couch on a truck. Case closed.

Last edited:
We were short a crew member a few years back so I hired a local guy to help out. At the end of the day he says he broke his finger loading a piece of wood. He tried to sue me. Long story shorter(er), the lawyers from my insurance company get involved and investigate this guys medical history. Not only had he broken multiple fingers on both hands while loading stuff over the last ten years, he'd gone to the ER the week before, seems he'd broken the same finger in the same place loading a couch on a truck. Case closed.

Yup that sounds about right.i have seen that crap before too!

I had a guy working for me last fall he was a real go getter, 25yo. I had to lay him off when things slowed up, didnt get a chance to train him much. I talked to him the other day and hes starting around the first. Im going to throw him my old saddle and send him up some small trees and train him on pruning. I think he can be a decent climber 5'9 and 130-140lbs he seems to be a smart kid. No other tree experience so I get to train him.

I had a guy working for me last fall he was a real go getter, 25yo. I had to lay him off when things slowed up, didnt get a chance to train him much. I talked to him the other day and hes starting around the first. Im going to throw him my old saddle and send him up some small trees and train him on pruning. I think he can be a decent climber 5'9 and 130-140lbs he seems to be a smart kid. No other tree experience so I get to train him.

sounds like a good candidate

Back