Homeowner Help for Saw Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sierradmax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New to the Forum. Great Site.

I'm looking for a replacement to a 455 Rancher I recently sold. Something you would consider a "Step Up". I live 2 minutes from a Husky dealer so I prefer Husqvarna. My current collection includes an older Poulan 2300 CVA (33cc) with a 12" bar (primarily used for limbing), a Husqvarna 395XP with a 24" & 36" bar (used for those large round scores!), and the recently sold 455 rancher with a 20" bar.

I felt the 455 was underpowered, heavy, and for a saw I intended on using 90% of the time (bucking firewood), I felt it needed a more suitable replacement. My considerations are the 460 Rancher, 550XP & the 562XP. Moreso, the 550 being a couple dollars more than the 460.. However, it's 5cc's less than the 455. Any thoughts?

Primary use is bucking 5-7 cords/yr.

What bar length do you want to run on this saw? I think that will answer your question.

Skip the 460Rancher regardless, and look to the other two - 550/16" with 3/8" chain would be nice, light, and nimble, and would be my choice unless you really need to run a 20" bar on your primary firewood saw, in which case the 562 would get the nod.

:agree2:

460: You'll be disappointed with the little improvement over the 455.

550XP/16-18": You won't put this saw down to limb with your Poulan. This will handle all the limbing and small bucking you can throw at it. I'd go with .325 pitch--just a personal preference.

562XP/20": If you want to run a 20" bar for larger rounds and/or more reach, then this is your saw.

For what you are describing, I'd look pretty hard at a 346XP. Yes, it is a smaller displacement than the 455, but it is rated for a slightly higher HP and engine RPM while weighing in at almost 2 pounds lighter.

I'll probably want an 18" bar on the saw. Is this pushing the 550? When will the 555's be available to the market?

346 or 562 would be the way to go imo.

Yep, me too.

I have a 55 Rancher and a 346xp NE (non-cat) and a 261"xp" (261 w/MM, 262 piston & clutch) for firewood cutting. 16" on the 55 and 346 and 18" on the 262. I've never run a 555 or 562 but of those suggested, I'd think the 346 with either bar size would be great if you don't need a 20" bar much. If a 20" bar is the most useful size for what you cut, then I think the 60 cc class is where you should be looking.

Heck, get two! :msp_smile: -WSJ

Last edited:
If a 20" bar is the most useful size for what you cut, then I think the 60 cc class is where you should be looking.

I refuse to run an 18" so I cant advise on that bar length. I do run a 16" on a pro grade 50cc and 20" on pro saws 60cc and up. This is in hardwood with 325 on the 16s and 375 on the 20s. You dont want smaller than 60cc with the 20.

562XP would get my vote. I prefer Stihl for myself but the 562 is a GREAT saw. It would be a true step up instead of just a change.

I abused, oh wait, I mean USED my buddy's 562XP for a day with both a 18" and 24" bar on it. No complaints at all cutting wet standing or dry dead hardwoods. Light, nimble, plenty of power.

i dont have but have used the 562xp,nice saw for sure,if you can,get the biggest cc you can afford,becauce if your like me,you will want bigger saw next year,and the next,and the next...lol.............happy shopping,hope you get the saw you want,i also say if possible try several saws,and cc.good luck on what ever you decide:msp_biggrin:

Thanks for everyone's replies. Going to look at a 346XP with .325/18" this afternoon. If I need anything more than the 18", the 395XP comes out. Maybe once or twice a year do I see a 16"+ log that needs to be cut. Maybe the 562xp w/ 20" next year... pending wife's permission :msp_wink:

Maybe the 562xp w/ 20" next year... pending wife's permission

Umm, I think that issue is why you are well advise to keep all your saws the same color . . . .

Be a man! Buy the saw you want, when you want it! Then just hide it amongst the rest. :msp_biggrin:

yeah... The receipt for the 395XP is well hidden. However, she wouldn't understand that I would have been charged an equal price to have the downed 42" willow removed from my property last year.

Latest posts

Back