Honda 5.5hp what motor oil is best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can dump seafoam in the tank. That's one way the instructions say to use it. I've also dumped it into the intake manifold of a running engine until it stalled. You CAN run it in the engine oil too but I wouldn't do that. This has little to do with the original question though.

"Small engine" oil is a gimmick. Engine oil what you want. Engine oil that meets the requirement of your small engine. There will be an API sepc somewhere with an SJ or SF that you need to make sure exists on the engine oil of your choice.

On a good air cooled engine is well worth spending the few dollars for good oil. Usually have a tougher job for what they are then cars and other water cooled engines and depend a much larger % more on the oil for heat protection then water cooled. If your burning or leaking much oil and just trying to get a bit more from an old engine before its fully trash then I'd use some cheaper stuff. I don't think much myself of walmart oil other then using the bar lube in winter when its cheap.

Break it in on sae 30 unless its going to been under freezing temps. Once you have a few hours on it,go ahead and switch to a synthetic oil if you want.Using anything less than sae 30 in hot weather will likely result in some oil useage,especially whenever run hard .

The temp chart from the Honda manual showed 10-30 to around 90f. I run 15-40 Rotela/Delo in everything, except 2 strokes. It has worked for many decades without an engine failure.

Back