How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biketrax

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A (Good) freind has asked to borrow my chainsaw! MY MS 361 no less.I am going to offer to come cut a bit of the big stuff if I find some time. but thats about it. I am going to politley apologize! "Thats one tool I dont lend out"
Lets hear of all the Good lines you folks have thought up in the past!

All my friends and family know not to ask to borrow tools.

They will ask if I can give 'em a hand with stuff, and if I feel that they wont trash something and I cannot help, I will then OFFER to let them borrow a tool.

That way if things come back messed up, it's my own damn fault.

The only Exception to the rule is my cousin. He can snag anything in the barn at any time he needs, as long as he let's me know.
He brings stuff back cleaner and working better, than when they were borrowed.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Depends on the freind I suppose, there are a couple that I would, and many I would not. For those in the later group I explain it's like loaning out your wife. I also have a wild thing that I do offer as a loaner in place of a good saw

"Sorry, but I don't loan my saws; however, I'd be happy to come over and help you cut."

I've been tempted to say something like, "Sure, you may borrow my 361 anytime, but I must first have $700 cash to insure against any damages."

I also have a couple saws that are in the running to be my official "loaner saw," but I don't have the heart to condemn them to that fate just yet.

Last edited:
I allways tell people that there are 3 things I don't loan out and they are my chainsaw, my hunting rifle and my wife!

I don't even let my Dad borrow my saw and he taught me how to use it!!!

I would offer to do the cutting for them. For a very close friend, whom I trusted, I tell them that it needs a new chain and let them purchase one before they can even cut with it.

Ill lend you my 361 when you get it fixed. May have to buy that 660 after all

I keep a crappier saw for "lending" out which comes with chaps, helmet, boots and a pretty stern warning that if they break em they own em, and they will get it if the gear ISNT worn.

I have no problem lending out most tools otherwise, a mate came and grabbed a hedge trimmer this morning.
We share tools, hard jobs, labour, knowledge and laughs. You just have to lend to the right people.

Depends on the friend and or neighbor, but usually I lend them a ground saw if I can't be there to cut something for them. Granted my saws are cheaper brands so replacement won't put me or whom ever borrows it in the poor house if they get torn up. If I had high dollar saws, I would just tell them the truth, kinda like my climbing saw. I just tell them, my income depends on that saw to stay sharp, and run right so I can't lend it out but will be more then happy to come over and trim or cut anything they need.

Back