How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you saying...Dyslexics shouldn't throw stones, as they live in glass houses.
That would probably be a good rule to live by, right up there with; don't sit in the front row and heckle a comedian, They do it for a living and have the microphone.

I like to live dangerous
Oh and now I *Recognize* . It has nothing to do with memory
"Quit baiting us, Slingblade"!
*wink*
Yes 'deer'....

I don't generally loan out my nice tools! Instead I offer to bring the tool and do that part of the job as a favor to a friend. If I ever borrow something I follow the example my Dad set. He borrowed a John Deere 350 dozer from one of his friends to build a road through the woods. The dozer was in disrepair as it had lots of little problems as a result of neglect. First thing Dad did was pull it into his shop. He serviced it, replaced missing bolts, tightened up loose parts, replaced missing parts, adjusted linkages, etc. Then he went to work and built that road. When he was finished, the machine went back into the shop for another "going-over" and a good cleaning. When he returned it to his friend it looked and operated like new and was full of fuel! His friend told him he could use it again any time he wanted.

I thought they wanted to borrow a chainsaw, started out do you have (obviously at that location at that time) but it seemed they wanted some stuff cut to fire pit length not really borrow it. That is the only instance of a request of this nature I can recall.

Funny thing about living in the city, where Black&Decker power tools are seriously over-represented, is that people don't often ask to borrow your power tools. A rake or shovel, sure, or maybe your Toro SuperRecycler lawnmower when theirs stops working. But they somehow know either that real power tools are outside of their skill-set or that the people who have them in spite of living in the city must be experts, and they instead ask if you could help cut/drill/weld/solder/etc. whatever it is that they have in mind to work on.

What I've seen with saws is that folks in my neighborhood generally ask well in advance - can you help cut X next weekend? - and then have the work area meticulously clean of all unrelated debris, materials, and what not. So it is really easy - come over, cut X, BS a bit, and leave. Sometimes they even send you home with cookies or other baked goods. Not a bad deal, honestly.

Two or three weeks back I heard a chainsaw screaming for help in my close neighborhood.
Took a walk to see what the neighbor is cutting, he noodled 15-20" diameter knots with a MS170.
I asked politely whether I am allowed to join the party, he responded "Yes, but it is not necessary, I have time".
I walked home, fueled up my PS-7900, touched up the chain and went back to the neighbor.
Withing a few minutes there was a huge pile of noodles blocking his driveway, the PS-7900 was howling like a werewolf in heat (the sound echoed fiercely off of the surrounding houses, sounded really great), and his facial expression was simply priceless.
I asked him whether he would like to give my saw a try, he quickly declined.
After all his knots were reduced to little pieces and noodles i drank a beer and chatted with him a little.

I didn't ask for anything in return, having fun noodling with my PS-7900 was worth a tank of fuel and oil.
I did take all the noodles home as my neighbor didn't need nor want them, I gave them to my dad for his rabbits.

When I buck my uncles firewood logs, usually beech, he reimburses me my material costs in cash and offers me drinks and food.

That's why I keep a good cheep saw around to loan to family and for my 10yr old to run. If they need something with bigger than a 14jnch bar than I will help using my bigger saws. To friends they can go buy a saw or il help with cutting but not so much the clean up

Funny thing about living in the city, where Black&Decker power tools are seriously over-represented, is that people don't often ask to borrow your power tools. A rake or shovel, sure, or maybe your Toro SuperRecycler lawnmower when theirs stops working. But they somehow know either that real power tools are outside of their skill-set or that the people who have them in spite of living in the city must be experts, and they instead ask if you could help cut/drill/weld/solder/etc. whatever it is that they have in mind to work on.

What I've seen with saws is that folks in my neighborhood generally ask well in advance - can you help cut X next weekend? - and then have the work area meticulously clean of all unrelated debris, materials, and what not. So it is really easy - come over, cut X, BS a bit, and leave. Sometimes they even send you home with cookies or other baked goods. Not a bad deal, honestly.
I like food

When I've been asked about loaning a chain saw, I always say, "I no longer have a loaner chain saw, they have been gone for a long time"... Then I ask a question like, "what are you sawing up?" and the conversation goes from there...

Same thing when I'm asked to loan a gun. "I no longer have any loaner guns"... They then don't get upset with me...

BUT, it's not something I get asked very often at all...

SR

When I've been asked about loaning a chain saw, I always say, "I no longer have a loaner chain saw, they have been gone for a long time"... Then I ask a question like, "what are you sawing up?" and the conversation goes from there...

Same thing when I'm asked to loan a gun. "I no longer have any loaner guns"... They then don't get upset with me...

BUT, it's not something I get asked very often at all...

SR

I like the "no longer" part. I usually follow up with a short story as to why I say that. ;)

Latest posts

Back