How do you Answer "Can I borrow your Chainsaw?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you buy a new chain for the saw you can borrow it. If you can't, or won't buy a chain then the saw stays in the workshop.

A (Good) freind has asked to borrow my chainsaw! MY MS 361 no less.I am going to offer to come cut a bit of the big stuff if I find some time. but thats about it. I am going to politley apologize! "Thats one tool I dont lend out"
Lets hear of all the Good lines you folks have thought up in the past!
Sorry I don't loan out any tool I use to make money with.

I keep a beater saw for those 'Can I borrow your saw' occasions.
Keeps friends friends.:)

I keep couple Crapsman/Poulan for loaners. I just tell them to save the pieces if it breaks. I'm working on a Poulan (consumable/disposable crapsman/poulan like a paper towel) now that will be used as a loaner or a parts saw if no go.

I keep my good saws for only me.

I do not borrow any tools from anyone. Tried that once. Their old electric tool flamed out and I immediately bought them a new one and another one for myself. (lesson learned)

I keep couple Crapsman/Poulan for loaners. I just tell them to save the pieces if it breaks. I'm working on a Poulan (consumable/disposable crapsman/poulan like a paper towel) now that will be used as a loaner or a parts saw if no go.

I keep my good saws for only me.

I do not borrow any tools from anyone. Tried that once. Their old electric tool flamed out and I immediately bought them a new one and another one for myself. (lesson learned)
I had a friend (30 years ago) who borrowed my old Echo every year to cut his firewood, he couldn't afford a saw, every year he had a new chain put on and new plug, after 5 years I gave him the saw, pretty happy guy, his son became a MLB pitcher and is now retired from MLB he looks after his Dad now. Both very nice people.

Generally I'll tell them I'll come cut up whatever they need my saw to cut. IllI loan my trucks, my trailer, my tractor hell even my lawn mower but never my saw
What kind of transmission is in your tractor? Putting one with a park feature into park while moving could cost multiple chainsaws to fix. Or engaging the differential lock when one wheel is spinning and the other stopped.

What kind of transmission is in your tractor? Putting one with a park feature into park while moving could cost multiple chainsaws to fix. Or engaging the differential lock when one wheel is spinning and the other stopped.
Paid about the same for my tractor as I did my saw. Has a manual shuttle shift I think it's called. Got got 2 levers one for hi-lo-r the other for n-1-2-3-4. Only "park" feature is neutral with the bucket down. As for the different lock it's pedal has a linch pin through it to prevent my kids from accidentally engaging it when they use it

No one has asked, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first person that does is just an acquaintance or neighbor and not a true friend.

First post, although I have lurked here for about 2 years. Mid 70's, my Dad bought a new Jonsered 49SP, we used that saw allot, for firewood, takedowns and as I got older, he trusted me with it for side jobs. I loved that saw, always figured it would be mine some day. Around 2003 or so, Dad loaned it to a family friend, who despite Dad's warning, failed to use the gas / oil mix that was loaned with it. He used straight gas!!! Fried that beautiful old red saw... ruined it. Dad was mad, BUT didn't want to make an issue out of it, just bought a new Jonsered. About 5 years ago, I loaned my son in law(now ex), my lawn mower while his was being repaired, for his lawncare buisness. He brought it back with a bent handle bar, and warped, dull blade from hitting rocks. He couldn't start it after hitting a rock and kicked it. Today, my saws, tools, guns, canoe, kayaks, mower, truck, etc., ALL are off limits, and will not be loaned out... PERIOD. I have excuses ready ("needs to be fixed", "not working right", "unsafe", "leaks oil", "my insurance prohibits loaning tools", etc.).

A friend of mine who is a pastor recently borrowed my pick-up truck to grab supplies at Lowes and home Depot, no biggy as I've loaned out just about everything i own over the years.

Problem was.....i loaned it to him with a full tank of gas and as he was returning it, he actually ran out of gas coming up my driveway.
He rolled down the window and said " you got some lawn mower gas you can put in it ? "

I have an old Remington saw that i loan out but never get asked twice. Lol

A friend of mine who is a pastor recently borrowed my pick-up truck to grab supplies at Lowes and home Depot, no biggy as I've loaned out just about everything i own over the years.

Problem was.....i loaned it to him with a full tank of gas and as he was returning it, he actually ran out of gas coming up my driveway.
He rolled down the window and said " you got some lawn mower gas you can put in it ? "

I have an old Remington saw that i loan out but never get asked twice. Lol
Not a very good friend.....or pastor....

A (Good) freind has asked to borrow my chainsaw! MY MS 361 no less.I am going to offer to come cut a bit of the big stuff if I find some time. but thats about it. I am going to politley apologize! "Thats one tool I dont lend out"
Lets hear of all the Good lines you folks have thought up in the past!
foxtrot Oscar ;o)

Latest posts

Back