How do you clean your chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG BEAM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know you're supposed to clean your chain before grinding but what do you guys use?I tried WD40 but didn't do so well.What say you?
DON

I know you're supposed to clean your chain before grinding but what do you guys use?I tried WD40 but didn't do so well.What say you?
DON

Dude, it's so simple. Run your saw through some bark a few times (conifer), then pull it off. Clean chain.

Euc oil and some other sap only seems to come off with oven cleaner or OxyClean. Soak and brush, soak and brush, clean as new. Blow gun off, wd-40 to displace any water, air gun again, ready to sharpen.

Over all the years I've cut down trees for tree services and felled and bucked firewood I've never once cleaned a chain before taking it in for sharpening or touching it up myself with a file.

What have I been missing all these years?

Really weally clean

You can run your chain through some water.

This is rare but does have its place.

If you do this prepare for a rooster tail that will challenge any super soaker. A cautious person would hold the saw at an angle.

This is used in a place like South Carolina low country when what you are cutting has all kinds of sand, (from ant farms under the bark), in a world so miserable you don't care about your appearance or have any self esteem. The humdity, stench of rotting life, 3 types of pit vipers, bugs, vines and fire ants make for a nice day.

Water takes the sand right off. Not that you care at that point.

============

I've heard of some pitch that can be incredibly hard to clean.

But mostly just cut some wood or bark.

Last edited:
I assume if you're gonna use a CBN wheel in your grinder you'll want to keep the chain clean so the wheel doesn't get clogged.You don't dress these wheels down to clean stone,you just keep grinding.Won't the crap on a chain bake on the wheel if the chain has sap and or oil on it?
DON

It looks like sap and oil.If you file by hand you can see it in the file.Ash, beach.sugar maple and some cherry.

On the top of the tooth it's black and it won't even come off with your finger nail!
DON

I use compressed air

Every time I come in, I remove clutch cover, chain, and bar and blow everything off with compressed air. Then I wipe the power head down, remove the air filter cover, and gently blow off the air filter on both sides and reassemble.

Touch up the chains on the NT grinder, and I'm good to go next time.

Back