How do YOU get your wood out of the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PA131798.jpg

P6240004.jpg

P8211365.jpg

Why mess around?

How deep of mud will that thing go through and still pull? Looks to be not much ground clearance at all.

It's weight is spread out pretty good, not as easy to stuck it as you'd think. Its low center of gravity and low gearing is what makes it a good puller IMHO. Ground clearance isn't too bad at all.

I use good old fashioned horse power, she's got an awesome 4-low and tons of torque, but when she kicks in to high gear and heads for the barn you better hope you got a 4000lb hitch going to slow her up a bit. Fuel mileage is pretty good, only cost a couple bucks to work them all day.

I was waiting for someone post this.A good team and teamster will out skid a machine on short pulls.I think 800' or less was the number as I remember.Won't tear up the woodlot either.Hasn't been a hay burner on this place since I planted the last one 14 years ago except for three years ago when I had a selective cut done.A good team tempts me to get back in the horse business....then I get over it.

Just bought this old girl to haul my timber - milled and firewood. International C1800 - 11.5tonne GVM, Perkins 6.354, 5sp OD with diff splitter

IMG_1003_zpsc098b300.jpg

IMG_1004_zpsc6f2a01c.jpg

Photoon28-07-13at216PM_zps63872079.jpg
Sweet,best Engine Perkins ever built,an over drive,two speed rear all wrapped up in an IH.Hard to beat that.

Oh its for real zogger, story goes that this logger up near millinocket Maine had a couple teams of horses with some mares at the landing. This bull moose started hanging around his mares and would follow them around as they skidded the wood. Apparently this went on for months and then the guy started hand feeding the bull. Long story short he got the bright idea to see if he could put a harness on the bull and use him to skid wood. So he pieced together a harness that would fit the moose and hitched him up next to his favorite mare. The rest is history. Maine woods if there is any part of the story I missed please feel free to chime in. I heard the story from my Uncle who works in the woods around Rumford/Mexico area.

Sweet,best Engine Perkins ever built,an over drive,two speed rear all wrapped up in an IH.Hard to beat that.
Thanks, always wanted an IH truck, big IH fan! Thought I was going to have to plump for a petrol. Then this turned up, goes pretty good and someone's just given it a fresh coat of paint. These IH OD boxes are rare here, probably worth the price I paid for the truck! It's just got a running problem over ~1800rpm, I think it's a worn bronze IP drive gear. I'm adding some oil stabilizer and seeing if that changes things...
... and put some sides on that bed and it'll really haul some firewood
Yeah it needs sides, but no way to mount them with this tray really. And it's one of those useless alloy ones, I'll put a steel tray on it soon. I reckon what I get for it in scrap should get me a decent steel one with a timber floor

Oh its for real zogger, story goes that this logger up near millinocket Maine had a couple teams of horses with some mares at the landing. This bull moose started hanging around his mares and would follow them around as they skidded the wood. Apparently this went on for months and then the guy started hand feeding the bull. Long story short he got the bright idea to see if he could put a harness on the bull and use him to skid wood. So he pieced together a harness that would fit the moose and hitched him up next to his favorite mare. The rest is history. Maine woods if there is any part of the story I missed please feel free to chime in. I heard the story from my Uncle who works in the woods around Rumford/Mexico area.

I just looked it up, google moose logging. Apparently it is a good photoshop, several different convincing stories about how it happened and where the moose logging took place. Still a funny/cool picture though!

source:

Work Moose in Harness (Moose Logging) - Urban Legends

If you could leagally keep a moose, I bet it would be possible though..

down here in the south...rhino logging! heheheheheh

hey, them boys over yonder use elephants! that's for real!

Hope you didn't mind a little ribbing on the moose logging zogger. It's one of those stories we tell flat landers, its all in good fun.

Thanks, always wanted an IH truck, big IH fan! Thought I was going to have to plump for a petrol. Then this turned up, goes pretty good and someone's just given it a fresh coat of paint. These IH OD boxes are rare here, probably worth the price I paid for the truck! It's just got a running problem over ~1800rpm, I think it's a worn bronze IP drive gear. I'm adding some oil stabilizer and seeing if that changes things...

Yeah it needs sides, but no way to mount them with this tray really. And it's one of those useless alloy ones, I'll put a steel tray on it soon. I reckon what I get for it in scrap should get me a decent steel one with a timber floor
I think that's a New Process 540(or 1 or 2)OD.Rare as hens teeth here as well.IH and Dodge mediums dutys used them(often school buses)be gentle with it.

I think that's a New Process 540(or 1 or 2)OD.Rare as hens teeth here as well.IH and Dodge mediums dutys used them(often school buses)be gentle with it.
damn, I thought it would be easy to get parts in the US... Oh well thanks for the model number. Synchro on 4th is pretty ropey otherwise all is good. Just gave it a fresh load of Castrol TFC450, it doesn't jump out of gear or wine so I'll just double d clutch for 4th and use it for the moment. Bit of a waste having an OD box in a truck I'm only going to use in the bush for the moment but she'll be on the road one day. I wouldn't mind sticking a driven front axle and TC in it though, it's not the best in the mud...

This is my first year gathering wood for myself as an adult. I used to help my Dad get us firewood about 18 years ago, my job was to split and load/unload the trailer.

Now, I get to do it all myself. Drive the tractor into the woods with wood trailer on the back, cut down a tree, buck it up, chop, load, unload, stack.. Phew..

I am considering other methods of getting the wood from the woods to my home, tried out the 4 wheeler method but the small dump trailer gets overloaded way too soon. (see pic)

Thinking I may just take the saw & maul into the woods with the 4 wheeler, cut it down and chop it up, then come in later with the tractor and bigger wood trailer to haul it out.

My Dad has collected a fair amount of machinery lately, but a lot of it has been tied up for haying. Now thats close to being done I have access to more toys again. :)

Where in upstate NY are you located?

Smiling is good medicine, and I am glad you appreciated my "skiddah". He is a handful come Sept.-Oct. when the rut starts, but I just let him have his way with the Holsteins and he is good to go come Nov. He sure can feed my old OWB though.

Back