How do YOU get your wood out of the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought this old girl to haul my timber - milled and firewood. International C1800 - 11.5tonne GVM, Perkins 6.354, 5sp OD with diff splitter

IMG_1003_zpsc098b300.jpg

IMG_1004_zpsc6f2a01c.jpg

Photoon28-07-13at216PM_zps63872079.jpg

This is my first year gathering wood for myself as an adult. I used to help my Dad get us firewood about 18 years ago, my job was to split and load/unload the trailer.

Now, I get to do it all myself. Drive the tractor into the woods with wood trailer on the back, cut down a tree, buck it up, chop, load, unload, stack.. Phew..

I am considering other methods of getting the wood from the woods to my home, tried out the 4 wheeler method but the small dump trailer gets overloaded way too soon. (see pic)

Thinking I may just take the saw & maul into the woods with the 4 wheeler, cut it down and chop it up, then come in later with the tractor and bigger wood trailer to haul it out.

My Dad has collected a fair amount of machinery lately, but a lot of it has been tied up for haying. Now thats close to being done I have access to more toys again. :)

This is my first year gathering wood for myself as an adult. I used to help my Dad get us firewood about 18 years ago, my job was to split and load/unload the trailer.

Now, I get to do it all myself. Drive the tractor into the woods with wood trailer on the back, cut down a tree, buck it up, chop, load, unload, stack.. Phew..

I am considering other methods of getting the wood from the woods to my home, tried out the 4 wheeler method but the small dump trailer gets overloaded way too soon. (see pic)

Thinking I may just take the saw & maul into the woods with the 4 wheeler, cut it down and chop it up, then come in later with the tractor and bigger wood trailer to haul it out.

My Dad has collected a fair amount of machinery lately, but a lot of it has been tied up for haying. Now thats close to being done I have access to more toys again. :)

I take a lot of saws and cans and tools and gear and whatnot with me when I go fell and buck and noodle to size. but that is at least 1/3rd of the trailer or more with the tote box....then I can take some wood back, but it is better to haul all the gear home, then come back and get a full load of wood. Typically large trees around here are 3 to 4 double axle trailer loads for me (loads, not overloaded stacked up way high, just a normal moderate load).

Of course you and I still got it easy compared to bodhisoma...

View attachment 311690

Four Wheeler kinda died going mudding the other day so the Poor Honda Riding mower got called into duty. Snow chains for traction and full throttle ahead. The trailer has been welded on all the seams and I gusseted it in a few key areas (Love my Miller). I gotta get the four wheeler to have spark again, the poor honda did what was asked, but one wheel drive sucked. Oh yeah, thats how you load a little garden tractor. Sadly I miss the wheel horse I had, she had no deck and would have made it through the woods a little easier.

I use good old fashioned horse power, she's got an awesome 4-low and tons of torque, but when she kicks in to high gear and heads for the barn you better hope you got a 4000lb hitch going to slow her up a bit. Fuel mileage is pretty good, only cost a couple bucks to work them all day.

If I just need a little bit for the week end I use the wheel barrow.

If I'm moving wood from the court to the wood sheds I use the little trailer, and the Ford.

Big loads get the Dodge and dump trailer, Joe.

Latest posts

Back