How do YOU get your wood out of the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my man toys..

The old iron mule forwarder.. Actually I find its usually a lot faster to just use the skidder. If its muddy the forwarder does keep wood a lot cleaner tho.

I've tried using it like a backhoe to try to make a small trench away from a mud hole in the skidder trail. It doesn't work real well for that mainly because the grapple hangs from a pivot and will flop sideways when you put down pressure on it. The old clam bucket that was on it might have done a ok job at scooping up small amounts of muddy or soft stuff but the valby bypass that I put on is narrow and the jaws have lots of open space that would let dirt fall through. I love that valby bypass though. It does a wonderful job on small or large stuff and is a lot safer for a newbie to run. My dad has a JD 300 backhoe so if we need to dig something, that's what we use:)

I'm never working far from my house, and my primary wood stacks. So, I was using the 15s cart behind my JD x728 in the winter when the mower deck was stored.

attachment.php

attachment.php

But that limited my retrieve season, so I cut a couple extra loads last year and rolled my revenue into another piece of equipment, this 10 year old Bombardier Quest 650.

attachment.php

Lets me meander through the hardwoods and pick off the standing dead Red Oak without cutting roads or even cart paths.

attachment.php

Small cart size forces me to take the breaks I so richly deserve between loads.

attachment.php

View attachment 289475View attachment 289476View attachment 289477View attachment 289473View attachment 289474

Not seeing your pics, not sure what is wrong

Not seeing your pics, not sure what is wrong

Sorry guys, I'm not sure why, I was using the "Manage Attachments" button. Here they are again referenced from a different site.

I'm never working far from my house, and my primary wood stacks. So, I was using the 15s cart behind my JD x728 in the winter when the mower deck was stored.

March+25.JPG

Fetchin+Firewood.JPG

But that limited my retrieve season, so I cut a couple extra loads last year and rolled my revenue into another piece of equipment, this 10 year old Bombardier Quest 650.

pre-storm+load.JPG

Lets me meander through the hardwoods and pick off the standing dead Red Oak without cutting roads or even cart paths.

P1050776.JPG

Stacks.JPG

Hope these show up, thanks for pointing the problems with the original post out to me.

Portable winch--gas powered, nice tool

On the front range of the rockies--I live at 6400' elevation and do tree work at places from 6000' up to 8500', there's no such thing as level ground. A good portion of the trees I cut--mostly Ponderosa pine and some Doug Fir--have to be felled in places where no wheeled or tracked vehicle can access. I use a Portable Winch--this Canadian-made, Honda motor-powered capstan winch is a jewel. I couldn't do without it. It weighs 35 lbs. and is rated at 2200 lbs of pulling power. I anchor it to a tree and run a 200' length of 1/2" rigging rope to my work, uphill, downhill, no matter. I usually have one or two snatch-blocks set in trees to: 1. keep my rope off the ground, keep it clean, and reduce friction, and 2. as redirects, changing the angle of pull to avoid rock, other trees, go around a house, etc. The thing pulls at 40' a minute, which I thought would be slow when I bought it, but is just about right. Every now and then, for heavy logs, I put a block on the end of the log and double the rope back (one end of the rope needs to be anchored, and the other runs through the winch) to get double capacity from the winch at half the speed. For lighter stuff and bundles of slash, I rig two or three loads in each pull.

I'm not much of a phone or video guy, so nothing on hand to show it at work. If anyone's interested in seeing it, there's video at the Portable Winch . com site. As the thing is made in Quebec, the video I've seen there is pretty much flat land, northern hardwoods. To imagine how it works in my application, just turn your head 45 degrees as you watch.

Sorry guys, I'm not sure why, I was using the "Manage Attachments" button. Here they are again referenced from a different site.

March+25.JPG

Fetchin+Firewood.JPG

pre-storm+load.JPG

P1050776.JPG

Stacks.JPG

Hope these show up, thanks for pointing the problems with the original post out to me.

Hello Jere39: I've got one of those JD Carts sittin' in the barn. Had it for years on end. I worked that thing to death. It just couldn't take any more fixin' without a complete overhaul.

On the front range of the rockies--I live at 6400' elevation and do tree work at places from 6000' up to 8500', there's no such thing as level ground. A good portion of the trees I cut--mostly Ponderosa pine and some Doug Fir--have to be felled in places where no wheeled or tracked vehicle can access. I use a Portable Winch--this Canadian-made, Honda motor-powered capstan winch is a jewel. I couldn't do without it. It weighs 35 lbs. and is rated at 2200 lbs of pulling power. I anchor it to a tree and run a 200' length of 1/2" rigging rope to my work, uphill, downhill, no matter. I usually have one or two snatch-blocks set in trees to: 1. keep my rope off the ground, keep it clean, and reduce friction, and 2. as redirects, changing the angle of pull to avoid rock, other trees, go around a house, etc. The thing pulls at 40' a minute, which I thought would be slow when I bought it, but is just about right. Every now and then, for heavy logs, I put a block on the end of the log and double the rope back (one end of the rope needs to be anchored, and the other runs through the winch) to get double capacity from the winch at half the speed. For lighter stuff and bundles of slash, I rig two or three loads in each pull.

I'm not much of a phone or video guy, so nothing on hand to show it at work. If anyone's interested in seeing it, there's video at the Portable Winch . com site. As the thing is made in Quebec, the video I've seen there is pretty much flat land, northern hardwoods. To imagine how it works in my application, just turn your head 45 degrees as you watch.

He old CB: I checked out the site, and that's quite a Set-Up you have there.
What do those things sell for with back pack and all?
View attachment 290069View attachment 290070

Last trip I pulled a 12' dump trailer into the woods behind an extended cab 4x4 GMC Sierra. It took us about 45 minutes to turn it around as I couldn't get through the rest of the loop. There is still already cut wood there waiting for the next load but it should be easier as a bit of "clearing" had taken place during the last event. I also have a 2' x 16' red oak log lying there waiting for the chainsaw mill to smallerize it. May work on that this afternoon. I haven't milled any wood for over 10 years but this is too good of a piece of lumber to buck into firewood. I will mostly be making thick planks for cribbing. (not furniture lumber)

He old CB: I checked out the site, and that's quite a Set-Up you have there.
What do those things sell for with back pack and all?
View attachment 290069View attachment 290070

I believe I paid $1300 for it. I see Bailey's has it for $1400 now. There's a horizontal post with a rubber handle on top of the winch to carry it by. (Really my only complaint with this thing is the rubber tends to creep off when I carry it any distance, but that's a small matter.) The winch comes with a 6' sling to anchor it around trees, and the sling works well as a shoulder strap when humping it in the woods. Usually I don't have to go far, as I get the pickup to my landing and then work from there. So I don't know anything about a case or backpack. I see on the company's website that they show the case with a block inside, but I got my snatch blocks and rigging rope elsewhere, as I use them in general rigging even when the winch isn't involved.

I found the receipt, and I got the winch from Baileys two years ago--$1276 then. Even at today's price, I wouldn't think twice--in my situation it earns its keep. I used it at home just yesterday, and earlier in the week working for a guy up the road who initially suggested that I just drop his trees (5 dead pines threatening the powerline) and he would HAND-CARRY the wood up the hill. And when I say hill, we're talking slope that you get winded walking up with nothing in your hands. By day's end, when I had all logs up to the landing and bucked, the guy couldn't thank me enough--"I'm glad I listened to you, CB."

If I can't get my pickup to where the wood is, I use the Suzuki Samurai to tote the cut wood out. I can fit an amazing amount of wood in the back, and it fits anywhere a quad or small tractor can go. Plus it will drag several nice sized trees at a time chained to the hitch on the back, and I cut them up once I get them to the house.

Truck and trailer in the winter when the ground freezes. Honda Rancher or Big Red in the warmer months (and atv trailer). I try to get most of the wood moved out when its cold so Im not fighting the poison ivy and whatever else that is waiting to swell me up like a balloon.

Here's how I did it today. Me and Sarah were out cutting all afternoon, Good times.

attachment.php

That truck reminds me of the short bus for some reason... haha only joking :D

But you got a pretty good load on 'er, definitely earning its keep :msp_thumbup:

And keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Back