How do YOU get your wood out of the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it is Mickey Mouse but I love my old Bolens. Kinda matches my old Poulans.

P1010918.jpg

P1010885.jpg

I'm thinking I need to get a FEL!

Thanks Rudy. It is so handy I sold my grey fergie. Looking at a 20HP Kubota with 4wd and fel at present but not sure it is what I need.

look at Kubota like Dolmar Not very well known but the quality and reliability are Top-Notch
Ive heard a few guys say the would run thei Kubota's with the Green tractors they used to be devoted too.
Sure Kubota doesnt make a 200hp tractor but they go up to 135hp and i wish they would keep goin!

Were currently looking at the Mx5100 Hst 4wd w/ self leveling loader.
For $32,000
the dealer quoted this-
Mx5100 tractor
Self leveling loader
rear wheel weights
Tires filled with liquid
6' HD box blade
6' Brush hog
2 SCV remotes
tire chains
pallet fork attachment

The JD dealer needless to say was $7,000 above that

Usually I just walk out with it as usual, but sometimes when I'm really tired it drags on the ground.......

look at Kubota like Dolmar Not very well known but the quality and reliability are Top-Notch
Ive heard a few guys say the would run thei Kubota's with the Green tractors they used to be devoted too.
Sure Kubota doesnt make a 200hp tractor but they go up to 135hp and i wish they would keep goin!

Were currently looking at the Mx5100 Hst 4wd w/ self leveling loader.
For $32,000
the dealer quoted this-
Mx5100 tractor
Self leveling loader
rear wheel weights
Tires filled with liquid
6' HD box blade
6' Brush hog
2 SCV remotes
tire chains
pallet fork attachment

The JD dealer needless to say was $7,000 above that

Yeah we got a similar price difference on a large mower kubota vs JD. The kubota dealer was willing to deal, offer demo's etc where as the JD dealer wouldn't budge and offered no demo - basically gave the brochure, take it or leave it. Needless to say we don't use JD mowers anymore.

When you talk to mowing contractors over here at least, they will tell you that JD's are great if you are owner operator and look after maintenance etc but if you have employees who are a bit rough you can't go past kubota.

This hill is pretty steep. I nearly made it to the top, but I was going too slow. Had to back down to near level ground and try again. Locked in the 4x4, and low gear, and pour the gas to her and when I hit the steep part she pulled right on through it. Never lost a piece of wood either.
attachment.php

Proof that I made it to the top. I was sure I could, but that first attempt went sour.
attachment.php

Trailer looks like it turned out very well! Great job!

Trailer looks like it turned out very well! Great job!

Thanks mx_racer428:
The welds aren't pretty like yours', but I believe it will hold. I raised the trailer bed about 3" higher than what I estimated on yours. I'm contemplating on putting a solid bed and sidewalls on it. Haven't decided yet. The mesh steel is absolutely too weak. A sheet of good flat mesh, 13gax4'x8' is $49, and a damaged 4x8 plate steel 1/8" is, well, they may just give me a few sheets of it. The good stuff is 85 bucks.View attachment 287982

Thanks Rudy. It is so handy I sold my grey fergie. Looking at a 20HP Kubota with 4wd and fel at present but not sure it is what I need.

Don't overlook the compact KIOTI tractors if you have them down under.

Later
Dan

Thanks mx racer428: The welds aren't pretty like yours', but I believe it will hold. I raised the trailer bed about 3" higher than what I estimated on yours. I'm contemplating on putting a solid bed and sidewalls on it. Haven't decided yet. The mesh steel is absolutely too weak. A sheet of good flat mesh, 13gax4'x8' is $49, and a damaged 4x8 plate steel 1/8" is, well, they may just give me a few sheets of it. The good stuff is 85 bucks.View attachment 287982

Have you looked into the raised expanded metal? Not sure if the price would be better or not? It's nice to have that open bottom for all small pieces can fall through.

Have you looked into the raised expanded metal? Not sure if the price would be better or not? It's nice to have that open bottom for all small pieces can fall through.

Yup; I looked at all of it while I was at the steel yard. Reason for solid bed, (which I may make some removable inserts for it), is to haul compost. Feeding cattle all winter I have some waste hay/manure that cooks down fairly quick if I keep the pile turned.

Yesterday I was getting 8 foot chunks of 12" oak out by standing them up, squatting down to shift them onto my shoulder, and trying like hell to stand up. It's nice having the woods 40 feet from the house.

Of course, the first step I took with the heaviest one up on my shoulder was onto a limb that sprung up and snapped me in the nutsack...

Yesterday I was getting 8 foot chunks of 12" oak out by standing them up, squatting down to shift them onto my shoulder, and trying like hell to stand up. It's nice having the woods 40 feet from the house.

Of course, the first step I took with the heaviest one up on my shoulder was onto a limb that sprung up and snapped me in the nutsack...

edisto; that ain't good for your health.

My Nissan patrol 4x4 and a little 7x4 trailer that drags at times as it is a bit low.

Getting ready to skid a tree out to block and split on the track View attachment 288017

My mate getting the cuts in to drop one of the trees that day. We are working next to plantation blue gums in an area selectively logged for saw logs and chip, most remaining trees are dead (plus this should be a fire break but is overgrown with bracken fern)
View attachment 288018

Finally, my load, almost 1.5 m3 in the trailer and enough to make a 2m3 stack at home in the back of the wagon (loaded up to window height, seats folded, saws on top) overlooking the Great Lake.
View attachment 288019

I used to do that too ... minus the nutsack experience. That wears you down real quick, especially going up hill.

Back