How long do files last you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I swapped out my now 2yo 7/32 file and wow. I was still flaking off metal, but the new one really bites in. I did the right side cutter in 1/2 or 1/3 the time of the left side. It don't pay to try and stretch out the life of a non-performing piece of equipment.

I'd say I did about 30+ filings on aggregate length of 24" chains.

Vallorbe my favorite brand , great quality and long lasting
Good ones for sure.
Better than Save Edge or Oregon?
Save edge out of those two if I have a choice.
I swapped out my now 2yo 7/32 file and wow.
At least you're learning, some think they last forever.
I buy round files by the dozen usually, but there are times I get in a pinch and buy three. Files are like ammo, good to have many and a wide variety.

Three sizes, plus others for doing neighbors saws.
Nice.
Why did you wait so long to swap the old one out if you have all them lying around. I hate dull files, I try to trash them right away so I don't accidentally pick them up again and get that :rare2: felling.

Nice.
Why did you wait so long to swap the old one out if you have all them lying around. I hate dull files, I try to trash them right away so I don't accidentally pick them up again and get that :rare2: felling.
Getting as much mileage as I can. Its the way I was raised. Waste not, want not. Tough thing to break sometimes.

Files are a consumable. Like sandpaper. When they stop cutting it’s time to swap them out. If you buy them by the dozen they are usually inexpensive ($1.50 each?), although, I have seen them at hardware stores for as much as $9 each (!!!).

The other thing to remember is that those little teeth have to be hard enough to cut the saw teeth, so the edges are brittle. Letting them bounce around in a tool box with other files will shorten their useable life.

I keep new files in the box or blister pack they come in, and protect ‘active’ files with a plastic soda straw (except in California!). If the file is mounted in a jig or guide, I wrap a rag around it when transporting it.

Philbert

Nice.
I find now that I don't sharpen on a daily basis that I do not notice the file not cutting as good as it should until I finally change files, I have a tendency to throw old files in a bucket incase someday I might need one :eek: :D

I have been using the PFERD classic line as of late purchase 2/6pks at a time not sure why they dont sell a 12pk, wish I could find the ones I used to use green and white box seems like it was a Swedish made file but have not seen them in years.

I like the straw idea for shop files that are being currently being used, woods file has it place in leather wedge pouch.

Therein lies the dilemma. If you, like me, subscribe to both philosophies, there is no happy solution. Whatever you decide (pitch, use), part of you is not pleased.
Not much of a dilemma really.
Value is not determined as some may feel/think, a file that is not cutting properly is similar to a chain that is not cutting properly, it's inefficient and could lead to injury of self or damage to equipment.
Did you really save anything, by tossing a file $.20-.50 early?
Look at your files like you look at your chain to check for sharpness, if the teeth are all rounder over on a file and you have to apply more pressure, toss it. And if you have other files available, don't just toss it, break it in half first so it never has a chance at being used again :).

I find now that I don't sharpen on a daily basis that I do not notice the file not cutting as good as it should until I finally change files, I have a tendency to throw old files in a bucket incase someday I might need one :eek: :D

I have been using the PFERD classic line as of late purchase 2/6pks at a time not sure why they dont sell a 12pk, wish I could find the ones I used to use green and white box seems like it was a Swedish made file but have not seen them in years.

I like the straw idea for shop files that are being currently being used, woods file has it place in leather wedge pouch.
It's like a saw, if you need to lean on it, it's dull.
Advise about what to do with dull round files above lol.
I use dull "square" files for filing rakers, talk about wanting to get your moneys worth :envy:.

Not much of a dilemma really.
Value is not determined as some may feel/think, a file that is not cutting properly is similar to a chain that is not cutting properly, it's inefficient and could lead to injury of self or damage to equipment.
Did you really save anything, by tossing a file $.20-.50 early?
Look at your files like you look at your chain to check for sharpness, if the teeth are all rounder over on a file and you have to apply more pressure, toss it. And if you have other files available, don't just toss it, break it in half first so it never has a chance at being used again :).

Or keep all the old ones and gift them to a knife maker- tool forger.
I guess broken in half they can still be forge welded though. :)

Or keep all the old ones and gift them to a knife maker- tool forger.
I guess broken in half they can still be forge welded though. :)
I've seen some nice ones made up, but I don't know anyone myself or I'd be happy to see them recycled. As it is, someone (most likely the garbage mafia, I'm serious) will get rich off them at the dump, either when they separate the trash or down the the road.
All I know is grabbing a file off the bench I think it sharp and it isn't is not a good feeling :rolleyes:.
Hope all is well down on your side of the round thingy(that some think is flat lol).

Latest posts

Back