How long do files last you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much of a dilemma really.
Value is not determined as some may feel/think, a file that is not cutting properly is similar to a chain that is not cutting properly, it's inefficient and could lead to injury of self or damage to equipment.
Did you really save anything, by tossing a file $.20-.50 early?
Look at your files like you look at your chain to check for sharpness, if the teeth are all rounder over on a file and you have to apply more pressure, toss it. And if you have other files available, don't just toss it, break it in half first so it never has a chance at being used again :).
I would think the dilemma is it comes down to a judgment call at what point does on replace/sharpen, file, axe chain, knife is it when the item looses 10% 30% 50% efficiency? If a saw is throwing dust and not chips it is rather obvious but what if it is cutting good but not great. If my saw is throwing dust but my file is only cutting fair do I quit for the day and wait until I get a new file? :surprised3: 🤔

Sometimes, I will keep using a file, as I have the time to put up with it not cutting as well as a new fresh file, other times, I get a new one and use it as time is limited.
Old dull file on a chain that needs lots of material taken away = misery.
Old files are still ok to use on wood, or other projects, or doing a prelim swipe on an unknown chain where it may have hardened teeth from being overheated on a grinding wheel, saves a new file becoming a useless sq one in one pass. :).
Old files are ok for teaching someone how to sharpen well, as little is taken off on each pass, and if their elbow/ arm is waving about, not as much material is taken off when learning, most have only used dull dull dull files anyway, and find what I consider dull to be near light saber status.

Some chains are harder than others, and what might feel like its dull on one chain, cuts well on a softer chain etc.

I like to get my moneys worth out of them, but as mentioned, they are a consumable item, so buy cheap, and stack it deep.

Ive used cheapies, some worked well, some didnt, used stihl, husky, oregon, pferd, vallorbe, and they all worked well, settled on what ever was best value for money at the time by the dozen, so have a few of each in different sizes (thats another world of pain, so label the gear clearly).

I would think the dilemma is it comes down to a judgment call at what point does on replace/sharpen, file, axe chain, knife is it when the item looses 10% 30% 50% efficiency? If a saw is throwing dust and not chips it is rather obvious but what if it is cutting good but not great. If my saw is throwing dust but my file is only cutting fair do I quit for the day and wait until I get a new file? :surprised3: 🤔
Not really a dilemma, as much as a decision.
If it's throwing dust, it should be sharpened, what did you hit that caused it to throw dust as it should have been freshened up long before that point, same with the file. Where's your new files?
As said above, you are now putting excessive wear on your equipment and putting yourself in a situation where you could get hurt. I think you should probably go home and make a good judgement call as it sounds like you're having a rough day as it is. Maybe tomorrow will be better :).

Not really a dilemma, as much as a decision.
If it's throwing dust, it should be sharpened, what did you hit that caused it to throw dust as it should have been freshened up long before that point, same with the file. Where's your new files?
As said above, you are now putting excessive wear on your equipment and putting yourself in a situation where you could get hurt. I think you should probably go home and make a good judgement call as it sounds like you're having a rough day as it is. Maybe tomorrow will be better :).
Difficult to answer them hypothetical what ifs. :surprised3:

If my saw is throwing dust but my file is only cutting fair do I quit for the day and wait until I get a new file?
Always keep a few spares in your ’kit’. They don’t take up much room. Along with a spare spark plug, bar nuts, etc. (sorry, getting into a separate thread, but related).

I try to carry 3 chains for each saw, in case one gets really rocked, or I don’t want to sharpen right then.

Philbert

When I feel like I'm leaning on them to make them bite, I get visions in my head of an afternoon spent in the ER waiting room to get an index finger stitched back together. Not to mention, it gets harder to keep your angles correct. I don't have an exact number, but it seems like I throw out a file for every 2-3 chains with the current Oregon and HVA offerings being quite a bit harder than what we ran in years past.

Seems like a good place to mention that they won't last as long if you throw them in a toolbox or store them together unsleeved.
Even then, I never used them for many filings and I'm one of those tight-wads that gets a month out of a disposable razor!

I generally use them until they get dull, then retire them for conversion into scribes or chisels (I do some blacksmithing too).

If you're really tight, sometimes you can get a little more life out of files by first degreasing them with lye/oven cleaner or some other base (strong ammonia, Simple Green, etc.) and then hitting them with some hydrochloric acid. They also last longer if you clear the chips out of the teeth frequently by tapping them, using a file card or wire brush, etc.

I used to buy the name brands, but I've found that some of the cheapos seem to work just as well. There isn't that much to making a decent file.

Always keep a few spares in your ’kit’. They don’t take up much room. Along with a spare spark plug, bar nuts, etc. (sorry, getting into a separate thread, but related).

I try to carry 3 chains for each saw, in case one gets really rocked, or I don’t want to sharpen right then.

Philbert
Exactly, every now and then I get in a pinch because what I thought was a spare ends up being garbage and will use the one not cutting great to get by. I also like to keep a good number of the picco files on hand as someone I know likes to break them :innocent:.

Typically if I'm working I just grab another saw if I hit something(helps to have multiplesaws with you), unless I'm flush cutting stumps and then I file a lot as I don't do that with most of my saws and I planned on sharpening a lot for that day so I'm getting paid to sharpen. I also have chains in the box in case I need to swap one out because it's damaged badly, but most times it's only a couple cutters and I can hit those a little harder than the rest and get back to business.
Did you go out after the high winds up your way this last week.

Seems like a good place to mention that they won't last as long if you throw them in a toolbox or store them together unsleeved.
Even then, I never used them for many filings and I'm one of those tight-wads that gets a month out of a disposable razor!
Lightweight :surprised3: Ive got a few disposables floating around that I bought yrs ago.:rolleyes:

I sharpen my chains until the teeth look like a triangle, I dont need that little built in scribed line with the angle to hold my slightly worn file at the correct angle. :laughing:

And I save my holey underwear for filtering my used crankcase oil for use as bar oil.:rock2:

$4-5 gas, how many gallons of gas can one get for the price of a syphon hose. :laughing:

If your bucking firewood on the week ends and keep your saw out if the dirt a file should last for months.
If your bumping knots on a landing after the loggs have been drug through the ash and mud on a logging side. A file could burn out in half a day.
How long do files last me? All depends on the file and cutting conditions. Chisel file or round file? Working a landing or felling a strip? Cutting clean wood or dirty wood? So many variables in my humble opinion.
Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 👍

What is dust and chips? 🤔 My power saw's throw two to three inch ribbons! I thought everyones saw did! 😉 I guess I was wrong.😂Anything less than throwing ribbons is unsatisfactory! 😂

Double ended Oberg chisel files were my favorite back in the day, but I don't think they even make them anymore. Ever since the new technology of feller bunchers and prosesors came into play 25 years ago. Accessories for hand held power saws like Oberg chisel files, Pro Safety Full Wraps, Silvey chisel bit grinders and tree jacks just to name a few. Have slowly been phased out and discontinued. All the new modern heavy logging equipment has put thousands of had cutters and had cutter equipment builders out of work!

What is dust and chips? 🤔 My power saw's throw two to three inch ribbons! I thought everyones saw did! 😉 I guess I was wrong.😂Anything less than throwing ribbons is unsatisfactory! 😂
Welcome to AS.
I'll give you a ribbon :numberone:, well how about a trophy lol.
Double ended Oberg chisel files were my favorite back in the day, but I don't think they even make them anymore. Ever since the new technology of feller bunchers and prosesors came into play 25 years ago. Accessories for hand held power saws like Oberg chisel files, Pro Safety Full Wraps, Silvey chisel bit grinders and tree jacks just to name a few. Have slowly been phased out and discontinued. All the new modern heavy logging equipment has put thousands of had cutters and had cutter equipment builders out of work!

Still get a simington grinder, and now there's a company making the jacks again.
Some things come and some go, but some of them leave and then come back better(I'm not talking about building back better though ;)).

Back