How long do files last you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a lot of strokes and lots and lots of metal was left littering my work bench and around the vise. My arm was about to fall off.
That’s where a grinder really shows it’s value. You can always. ‘finish off’ with a few file strokes if you like.

Philbert

That’s where a grinder really shows it’s value. You can always. ‘finish off’ with a few file strokes if you like.

Philbert

A good neighbor and friend. I would have done it for free, but with at much work as it was the $20 was nice. Wife gave me a jar of Burgundy Grape jam, so even better.

And it was only an 16" B&C. :)

You won't see that all day long unless you take a picture 😂.
IMG_20220516_135956414_HDR.jpg
All day long brother man! All day long! It is simply status quo for any professional cutter! Or at least it should be! 😂

A brash and brittal OG Spruce snag I fell just the other day killed in a forest fire seven years ago. 👍

View attachment 988675
All day long brother man! All day long! It is simply status quo for any professional cutter! Or at least it should be! 😂

A brash and brittal OG Spruce snag I fell just the other day killed in a forest fire seven years ago. 👍
You guys and your spruce, I bet you run one of those fandangled wrap handles too 😄.
Those look great, bring some up to Michigan for my chickens and I'll give you some eggs :).

You guys and your spruce, I bet you run one of those fandangled wrap handles too 😄.
Those look great, bring some up to Michigan for my chickens and I'll give you some eggs :).
IMG_20220516_165529496_HDR.jpg
Aftermarket Pro Safety full wraps! All day long!😂 After market Pro Safty OG felling dogs! All day long! 😂😉
If I ever make it to Michigan, that's a deal on the sawdust trade for eggs 😉 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

View attachment 988721
Aftermarket Pro Safety full wraps! All day long!😂 After market Pro Safty OG felling dogs! All day long! 😂😉
If I ever make it to Michigan, that's a deal on the sawdust trade for eggs 😉 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
No way lol.
I saw the scrench ;).
I had a set of those dogs on my ported 372xt, they sure were nice for flush cutting tree with large root flares.

20211010_115017.jpg

Is that what that green plant is? 🤢 I wouldn't know. We don't have poison ivy or poison oak in Alaska!
Yes, leaves of three.
Lots of it around here, some well over an inch thick. Funny thing, this yr there is a few different plants of it growing unsupported by the trees, they look like little bushes. Maybe they are evolving, probably start walking soon lol.

Yes, leaves of three.
Lots of it around here, some well over an inch thick. Funny thing, this yr there is a few different plants of it growing unsupported by the trees, they look like little bushes. Maybe they are evolving, probably start walking soon lol.
Wow! Maybe even eventually become man eaters! We gotta few of'em round these parts! 😉
IMG_20220504_062757418~4.jpg

Wow! Maybe even eventually become man eaters! We gotta few of'em round these parts! 😉
View attachment 988914
Nice, looks yummy, eating some venision right now :sweet:.
Wonder what type of files he uses, and how long they last. Regardless looks like he's been working on the landing with those rakers set so low :p.

Good ones for sure.

Save edge out of those two if I have a choice.

At least you're learning, some think they last forever.
I buy round files by the dozen usually, but there are times I get in a pinch and buy three. Files are like ammo, good to have many and a wide variety.
Agreed! Many files, in many sizes, for many saws! IMG_20220520_035411655_HDR.jpgIMG_20220520_040813626_HDR.jpg

Have to agree with most folks here... I also try to "stretch out" the life of my tools, but when the file stops cutting properly, it goes into a jar to be gifted to a knife maker! I always make sure I have plenty of fresh files lying around (properly protected, of course!). How do I do this? Pro tip: Each time I visit the Stihl shop, I purchase at least ONE spare file. If I'm not spending a huge amount (for instance I'm just picking up a new air filter or something similar), I may buy 2 or 3 extra files. Knowing that I have plenty of "spares" makes it easier to ditch a dull file.
Hope this helps!
Mike

Back