How many saws in a class?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would classify that size class as limbing and small bucking. Realistically two would be plenty. One main saw and a backup. Of course, you know what answers you'll get. Never too many!!!

The problem with too many saws, is that they sit unused and develop problems with the carb and whatnot.

I'm down to 5 from 9. For a firewood cutter it seems too many, but it is what I enjoy and so do my son in laws enjoy running well maintained saws. I usually have 3 saws with me.

I have seven . But I take 4 with me at anytime while cutting sure is easier to pick up another saw than sharpening and or changing out a chain in the woods

Specially when this happens all in the same tree

Attachments

• 20200125_115403.jpg
    20200125_115403.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200125_115413.jpg
    20200125_115413.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200125_123640.jpg
    20200125_123640.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 19
Last year when I had sold a couple of saws and donated another to the Zogger auction then my 130 was on backorder for weeks I ended up with one completely functioning saw. Every other saw had some ailment with parts on order like broken brake band, kill switch, and so on. It was kind of crazy LOL. Granted I could have ran them as is if needed.

Three right now: 020T, 026, 028S. I have another nice 026 and nos/oem parts to rebuild too.

The little 020T just gets used for pruning/orchard work.

I'm a hardwood firewood user. My favorites are my 036 (1 lb more than a 026, but 60cc). If wood gets bigger ( > 20") I grab on of my 038M/038M conversions, and work that with a 036.

Just debating about shedding some saws.

I have 5 running saws from 38-50 cc. How many does a guy need LOL.

Most of my cutting is from 6-20" and mostly softwood.

A guy really does not need more than 3.

I don't know.
don't fool yourself! if you do I wont be able to bring you a lite dozen more saws for your spare time work?? lol

If you have 5 saws it takes 5 breaking before you run out. Never can have enough especially bought and paid for. Just use em. Shelf queens besides a big saw for those half a dozen times a year you dont need them. If I don't run a saw its gonna be sold and reinvested into something I will run or use

I have two 20" and 2 16" that are always in rotation,,, its hard for one guy to keep em all in top shape and rotation alone... Not really looking to get in to any wood that they won't handle any more!!!! The other saws are available with a quick fueling, tuning and a practice run... they don't get in the truck if they ain't ready to play!!!

I am down to 4 runners now, but that could change at any moment. Numbers tend to go up, even when you think they should go down.:)

I have too many saws that I can use, even three is more than enough for me, but wherever I had a need for a certain size saw, I'm glad I had it. For what I cut, 40cc class, 50cc class, and 70cc class will take care of just about anything b I'll come across.

Currently 5 runners, one is being rebuild.

I have exactly 0 in that range. In fact I have nothing in between 35 and 76.

Straight from top handles to 460/660. It's working fine right now. May change back eventually.

Saws aren't a hobby for me. I run them when I need to get work done and they sit the rest of the time.

I think if saws are your hobby, there's no number that's too high.

Personally at some the point the space and the maintenance would be a bigger burden than benefit. But that's very specific to me. I don't want 100 saws sitting around.

Personally at some the point the space and the maintenance would be a bigger burden than benefit. But that's very specific to me. I don't want 100 saws sitting around.
Agree on that. Nothing worse than putting a piece of running equipment away and it not running right the next time you need it.

Back