How many saws would you own if you didn't heat with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many?

• zero

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • 1 beater saw

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • 1 good one

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • 1 good one and one beater

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • I'd own just as many - needed for tree work

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • I'd own just as amny - just because!!!

Votes: 18 22.0%

• Total voters

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
Not being an arborist or a logger, I'd probably just own one if the oil furnace was what kept us going through the heating season.

Probably just a little homeowner model to clean up storm damage or occasional light duty yard work.

So for me, the firewood is the goal and the saws are the means to the end.

Poll's not public so you have the benefit of the secret ballot. LOL

Edit: Just noticed I mipselled the word 'many' in the last option. Even as the OP I can't edit.

Srroy ofr hte tyop. :)

Last edited:
Two Would Do It

I wood own 2 saws--one for felling and large bucking and one for limbing and trimming. I would probably have no backup saw, so I would either sell or give those to charity. I'd keep the MS 361 (the strongest horse in my stable) and the Echo 3900 (the sweetest horse in my stable). The rest would go.

I'd keep the Dolmar and s:censored:t can the rest. I like milling too so the Dolmar fits the bill for all around saw.

Our property is wooded, and the fondness of bonfire/beer is strong around here, so it's pretty much mandatory as maintenance equipment. The last storm to roll through had sheer winds, and we had tree parts 8"-24" snapped clean off and made for instant extra chores.

A wildthing and husky 55 would cover the needs just fine.

Although a Stihl 192 and a Dollmar 7300 would probably be the modern choices.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts it would be Christmas year around...How am I supposed to answer that question...:dizzy:

What???

You have to heat with wood to own saws??!!??

Just kidding - I'd probably own them all regardless. I'm addicted to the smell of two stroke engines!

Al:clap::clap:

I wood own 2 saws--one for felling and large bucking and one for limbing and trimming. I would probably have no backup saw, so I would either sell or give those to charity. I'd keep the MS 361 (the strongest horse in my stable) and the Echo 3900 (the sweetest horse in my stable). The rest would go.
:agree2:
I maintain woodlots and have only two, a ground saw and a climbing saw. I will keep the two I have if I ever retire from that. "Momma don't 'low no ... extra chainsaws around here!" And, I don't like maintaining equipment I don't use, either. I can manage anything up to 48" with the two. If I had any larger trees I'd get a bigger Stihl.

If the old Mac top handle would ever die I'd get a Stihl 200T - in a heartbeat.

That question needed a little more thought than I gave it before voting. I didn't buy a saw until I owned a home with a wood stove so I voted zero but in reality I would keep my saw if we moved. I would continue to use it for clearing trails and camp fires so I guess I should have voted 1.

Sorry to throw your poll off.

That question needed a little more thought than I gave it before voting. I didn't buy a saw until I owned a home with a wood stove so I voted zero but in reality I would keep my saw if we moved. I would continue to use it for clearing trails and camp fires so I guess I should have voted 1.

Sorry to throw your poll off.

I voted the same way. Threw off my own poll.

But be assured, if we ever considered moving to a place without a stove, the lack of said appliance would likely be a bargaining chip in our negotations. :)

Id own just 1: a small homeowner saw in the 35cc-45cc range, just to clean up any trees that might get knocked over by a storm.

When I had just a fireplace and it was more for ambience, I didn't own a chainsaw. I purchased c/s wood. So if I wasn't heating with wood, I probably would not own a saw. I live in the 'burbs and any 'storm damage' we have is minimal and the city usually handles it.

:agree2:
I maintain woodlots and have only two, a ground saw and a climbing saw. I will keep the two I have if I ever retire from that. "Momma don't 'low no ... extra chainsaws around here!" And, I don't like maintaining equipment I don't use, either. I can manage anything up to 48" with the two. If I had any larger trees I'd get a bigger Stihl.

If the old Mac top handle would ever die I'd get a Stihl 200T - in a heartbeat.

Maybe a better poll is to ask, if you had to throw them all away and keep one, what would it be? In my case, it's the one and only:

Stihl MS 361

If I didn't heat with wood....then I wouldn't need to cut wood. If I didn't need to cut wood...then I wouldn't need any saws. Simple logic.:cheers:

And it ain't never going to happen because I have been doing for so long. :chainsawguy:

This is an interesting question with a fair bit of emotion tied to it. I voted for 2 saws because now I just love the things and even if I didn't heat with wood I would still probably sell a little, and even if I didn't sell a little maybe I could help my neighbors with a little wood now and then. Maybe I would just help clean up blow-downs around town. But really I'm sure I could rationalize my way into atleast a couple of good saws.

Back