How much do you save.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 years ago it cost me about $1600 to $2000 in propane for the winter. I don't recall what $ per gallon we were paying back then. Haven't burned hardly any since I installed the OWB.

Its hard to account for the savings. Its my hobby, too. As well as my main source of exercise in the winter.

im sure im ahead, but ive never heated this house any other way, so i dont know. Im sure my propane bill would be over $1500/year. I generally keep the house over 75, so it would probably be even higher.

This might sound wierd, but if for some reason I absolutely had to heat my house with propane, I think I would still cut firewood...:confused:

Years ago my wife who tracks these things said wood burning saves us 3k a year.

Probably $150 early/late season month, about $350 this time of year.

true.

i do furnace services and talk to alot of people when i go to their homes. even those who have high-efficiency furnaces tell me they have $300+ bills....and many of those people are in new homes supposedly energy efficient.

My gross savings are probably between $2,500 and $3,000/ year, as the primary heat in my house was electric baseboard. I have never relied on this as my primary heat source, as the first thing I did when I bought my house was to install a stove and chimney. I was told that electric bills were ~$300/ month, year round. Stove and chimney cost $1,000 when I installed. Paid for itself in less than one year. Not a bad return for my money.

The wife and I just bought our first house and first thing I did was install a insert in the old fireplace. House area is around 1600 square feet with old drafty doors and single pane windows. With that said I've only went through about 125gallons of fuel oil(where as my dad who is not burning wood anymore and lives in a newer and "tighter" house has gone throuh almost 500, so thats what I use for comparison). Its a high efficiecienty furnace and I think when i get the drafty doors and window taken care of, and some insulation stuffed in ontop of the block foundation I should be able to keep it going good. Furnace doesn't run alot but I think i need to get my circulation figured out as well.

trbo

Last edited:
Our last house had an oil burner and we were going through 1100 gallons of fuel oil annually - whatever that adds up to at current rates. When we built the new house, I designed it to have a dual-fuel OWB right from Day One. Last summer I burned propane from about May 15th through September 15th just to heat domestic hot water, and the OWB propane jet ate up 200 gallons of propane. September 15th I started a wood fire and it's not gone out but once, when I cleaned ashes right before Christmas. The needle on the propane tank has dropped 2% since then, as we use the propane on a 6-burner commercial stove for cooking.

So, just for laughs, let's say I would have had to use twice the propane in the colder months for heating and hot water, so 4 months @ 200 gallons = 50 gallons per month; 8 months @ 100 gallons per month for the rest of the year = 800 gallons + 200 = 1000 gallons total. I don't know what propane costs anymore, as I haven't had my tank filled since May 1 of last year, but let's say $3 a gallon, so I've saved $2400 by burning wood. It's probably more than that as it's been cold this winter and I've been feeding the fire a bit more than expected. I'm back to 24-hour burns lately.

If I burned wood 100% of the time (which is likely in the future), my propane usage will probably be about 40-60 gallons for cooking and that's it.

The last house was 1200 sf, the current house is 4300 square feet if you include the full finished heated basement. My house is a foam-panel covered timber frame with ICF basement walls, so it doesn't take much more than a couple candles and a can of Sterno to heat it. :)

It's actualy a darned complicated equation when I sit down and think about it the last three years are;

Wood burner pluses (annual)
Actual natural gas savings (2006 prices) $2500.00
Don't need to belong to health club ??????
Quality time with my sons in the woods priceless
Time away from the daily hum drum for me priceless

Wood burner costs, spread over last three years
Woomaster 4400 and install (2006) $7,000 (close estimate)
Spare parts and repairs $50
Chainsaw addiction $1500
Chainsaw repair and operating $200
Wood splitter mods and repairs $500.00
Mauls axes, handles $150
Fuel for hauling and splitting ?????? $300??????
wear and tear on truck(s) ?????$500?????
Have to figure electric power as a wash, seen no differances in bill?

And now for my pet peeve in life
For those who think or ask "whats your time worth??"
My standard responce
Same as sitting on my arse in front of the darned TV, sleeping, or typing responses to Internet posts ZILCH!!!!

I will count my wood cutting time in dollars when somebody is paying me in cash for doing it, there just plain aint any other way to look at it IMO
Sorry. of my stool:buttkick:

Last edited:
My biggest problem is the lack of insulation in our home and in my shop.Makes the bills go up big time. Our home is ranch style with a huge vaulted ceiling in the main part of the house.Lots of space to heat and cool.On top of that the windows are old, single pane throughout except for the windows in our bedroom, they are new. Planning on new windows for the past three years, but other projects keep popping up.
My shop only has the R-6 insulation under sheet metal siding, another big pig to heat. I have been trying to find one of those outfits that spray the foam insulation, but have had no luck in our part of the world that does it.Any further insulating will require building interior walls to support the batts of insulation, and has taken a back seat to other projects as well.
Oh well, as long as free firewood keeps landing in my trailer, I guess its not a big deal.:clap:

Last year with oil at about $4 per gallon, I saved about $3200.

On that note.
My son and wife embrace the wood heating lifestyle.
At first my teenage daughter did not embrace the idea of heating with wood.
I explained to her that we are not too poor to buy oil, we just choose to save that money to spend on other things. When school started, we bought her a laptop so she doesn't have to take turns on the family computer to get her school work done (and have some fun). I never had to spell it out for her, she made the connection between saving money on things that we can to get other things that improve our efficiency, quality of life, or are just plain fun.
As it turns out many of her friend's parents are also saving money by turning down thermostats, but since they don't burn wood they just have to get used to having the house cooler.

Short answer to the original question, but a long winded justification.

saving money w/ wood

i have nat gas hot air furnace, stove & hot water, & electric for everything else... i burn teh stove (cawley 800), most of the time,, furnace runs maybe once every couple of weeks to keep the rust off!!!!!! my gas & elec budget is less than $80.00 a month,,,,, i'm happy with it,,,all the wood is scrounged and i have abount 6 cords split, stacked & ready,,,and room for some new finds...
john

I figure from Dec through Feb I save about $250-$300 per month at least, I have about $1000 into chain saw's and splitting maul. I'm sure they have more than paid for themselves in 2 years, now it's all free including the money saved on not going to a health club gym.

I'm in Arkansas too, and we have saved loads of $$$$ this year and heat 100% with wood, never even turning on any other heaters. We only use LP gas for cooking/water heating. With the economy like it is pus other circumstances I would even eliminate even those if I had a practical way.

If the temps stayed colder longer I would heat water with the stove but it's been up down up down, forcing you to build a fire then let it die back in the afternoons.

I save plenty using wood. Even though heating oil's come down a bit from last year, it was so scary during the summer when they wanted people too lock in that I said no way I'll take my chances. Glad I did. I'm only using the furnace maybe 3-4 hours a day on cold nights when it kicks on at 2-3am. The old Glenwood cookstove and the Jotul Allagash do all the day time duty. I predict I'll use less the 300 gals this year. Next year though, The Allegash will get religated too spring and fall transition seasons because I'm going too install a woodstock soapstone on the middle(of 3) chim and that will stop the oil kicking on at night all together. Even if I can't do the woodstock, I'll reinstall the Jotul 118 that was there (with stainless flex flue thius time).

First year with the stove, so I'm still in the hole with the purchase price of the stove, plus my saw and wood. But, I will say my house is ALOT warmer than when we used just oil.

Plus, the added value of not giving the #1 supporters of terrorism (arab oil companies) any more of my money? PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

I dont know what i have in the wood.But i know i am saving at least 300.00
a month my house is heated with electric.And i have not run it all year.

But as far as cutting wood i do enjoy it .And we have fun plus i think its
good exersize and nice to be out in the woods.Another thing all the wood
this year was blow downs from ike that had to be cleaned.:greenchainsaw:

I have not saved a dime.
I have earned 24,000 in 10 years loading my Yukon wood furnace.
I look at it this way.
I have to write a check to heat to someone.It used to be the propane guys I'd write the check too.
Now I write a check to my wood guy for around 700$ a year for the 7 cords I'll buy.
Those 7 cords of oak make about 1750-2100 gallons worth of propane heat depending on the blend of the propane.
At 2.50$ a gallon on the low end I'd have written a check for $4375,then minus off the wood cost of $700 .
The difference is my pay for my labor of loading the wood into my furnace.
That's the second check I'll write.So I get $3675 this year.

No matter how you look at it I have to pay someone to heat my home.It might as well be me.

The really cool part is that my 100 lb.tank is still half full after 10 years.
My Yukon furnace gives me super long burn times...4-5 pieces in the morning and the same at night.
All I do is refire,never re light so my gas never comes on.
I'm heating 1400 s/f and I'll keep my house around 74 degrees.

The other cool thing is the money I'll get this year makes my annual mortgage payment so to know my Yukon is making my house payments just tickles me to death!!!!!

Last edited:
Back