How much wood can be dropped on concrete without breaking it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find and old couch, recliner, or loveseat on the side of the road and push blocks onto that. Quote

You are close, just need to do is to double the amount and add a Hide away bed/ couch. The metal in the hideaway will break /give cushion, when the large chunks hit it. Take video and post.

Find and old couch, recliner, or loveseat on the side of the road and push blocks onto that. Quote

You are close, just need to do is to double the amount and add a Hide away bed/ couch. The metal in the hideaway will break /give cushion, when the large chunks hit it. Take video and post.

guy i ran across once used to have the junkyard tow a car in then drop the tree on it and then have them come back and pick up the slightly more dented soon to be crushed vehicle for a nominal charge.

man this thread has gotten silly, thier is so much room thier to drop stuff its scary. just strip it and chunk it down.

My dad got a call this morning from the HO on that job I subbed on last month. Dad sells real estate as well and the guy had wanted my dad to look some stuff up for him. He called this morning and asked my dad if he wanted to come pick up the piece of plywood we were using to fortify one of the ramps we were using on that large removal where the mattress kings finished the spar. We had left the plywood there for them to use. Anyway, the HO is PISSED! The ground is destroyed and he has 3 sprinkler heads broke. My dad told him that he was sorry that that had happened and he told my dad that it wasn't our fault.

I have cut ties with those guys. I don't want my name on any of their jobs. Was a mistake on my part to ever work with them to begin with.

man this thread has gotten silly, thier is so much room thier to drop stuff its scary. just strip it and chunk it down.

Hey, it's FTA, makes for good reading. I am waiting for the part where he say's it is a stone pine, again. Any rookie would know it is a Torrey and some places here they are protected. Anyway, if he don't have a chipper that can eat it up and has to resort to loading, could be a good reason not to drop it. It could take all day plus a little the next if you are not set up to do that work. Personally, I would have that job done for about $1200 and out of there in 3 hours.
Jeff :)

Personally, I would have that job done for about $1200 and out of there in 3 hours.

Torreys are protected ESPECIALLY there, and Torreys don't even get that big. There one of the smallest trees there are. I just had a city inspector out there looking at the house that the HO is do major work on, and they OKed removing the thing, so it's definitely no Torrey.

The HO wants the tree gone because he just had to have a bunch of work done on the pipes that the roots were beating up. I didn't con the guy into getting it done. I probably shouldn't speak my mind much about the trees, but they often ask me what I think about doing any kind of work on them. If they don't need trimming, I tell them, and if they are good trees in good places for safety reasons, I tell them. Some times they call it off, and sometimes they say get in the trees anyway. And I won't even top a tree. There's a few good ways to mitigate tree size without cutting of the top.

And there is the fact I have a chipper. Some guy with a 16' box on an F700 is taking the firewood.... and then the HO wants all of the chips for his home and neighbors. Too many pine needles in the stuff if you ask me. I'm leaving it for free though.

Last but not least, this tree is getting pieced down unless by some means I can butt hitch the thing to keep it from flopping on the light pole. I have to re-exam the situation again.

Hey, it's FTA, makes for good reading. I am waiting for the part where he say's it is a stone pine, again. Any rookie would know it is a Torrey and some places here they are protected. Anyway, if he don't have a chipper that can eat it up and has to resort to loading, could be a good reason not to drop it. It could take all day plus a little the next if you are not set up to do that work. Personally, I would have that job done for about $1200 and out of there in 3 hours.

i gotta agree i mean how much can you assess a tree like that thiers not to much to think about. right along side of the road, thats about as easy as it gets. from the way it originally started it sounded like it would take a crane. i would definetly say a 3 man crew could do that in 3-4 hours for sure.

but hell what do i know rent a 200 ton linkbelt and get er done:greenchainsaw:

I'm blowing out a 60' Stone Pine this weekend, and if I can just bomb some of this stuff onto the concrete, I'd save some time. I'm leery about doing that?

I appreciate your antidotes and advice.

So is this thing done yet or what Nancy Boy? Where the pics?

60' lol! I could sit on my ass smoking cigarettes and send one of the ground guys up to smack that thing down. Lmfao.

Torrey's get well over that size and they are not protectected on provate property. You should study tree ID more so your clients dont think you dont the kinda tree you are doing. I know my ID- that IS a Torrey and not protected there.

C`mon FTA........just do it, thats an easy, entry level tree. The only thing we all can figure is you dont have the groin fluid to do it????

LXT................

i have to agree with most of the posters.

That tree is a Cakewalk!

I see it as you have several options but I would blow the top half in the road and then bring in a good sized log and place it between the stump and the sidewalk and drop the stalk.

Wish I could do one like that every day!

This is what got done after 5.5 hours. Heh, not too bad. :cheers:

I started out with the plan to take off the bottom for branches, and then drop it. We put a stack of wood as a big, barrier in front of that light pole, so there wasn't going to be a problem with the spar bouncing and plowing it over. Once I was in the tree, I looked down the line that the tree was leaning, and it happened to be leaning right over that fire hydrant and leaning that way way too much for me. I said no way am I'm going to be able to lever this many tons over and away from the water works. Then I got to work, and lowered everything down piece by piece, so as not to crush the bushes, light pole, and fire hydrant.

I can't believe you guys. You make this tree sound like a lot of fun, but you really can't see every angle of the sichyashun.

DVC00561.jpg

DVC00562.jpg

Those red arrows were the screwy tops I had to get over the light pole by getting the guy to pull them off, and lower them with the big rope. Those picks make it look like hardly anything got done there, but we had to keep things from hitting stuff, so we were constantly doctoring the drops. I also had to make 3 or 4 different points to hang the branches from. Don't get it wrong. I hammered out as much as could be physically mustered by myself given the situation on the ground.

LOL.

Wish I could show you the one I am cinching to another tree to drop tomorrow. I'm folding about the top 3rd of it back on itself... I don't dare share tips like that on here tho... :D

I don't know jeff, sounds like he's having chipper problems. Besides, if it took him over five hours to get that much done, i don't know how you were expecting him to finish it before week's end.

I am being bad by calling him out on tree ID. It really bugs me when guys sell a job and does not know the name of the tree. The tree would be cake, just the ID he lacks bugs me.

This is what got done after 5.5 hours. Heh, not too bad. :cheers:

I started out with the plan to take off the bottom for branches, and then drop it. We put a stack of wood as a big, barrier in front of that light pole, so there wasn't going to be a problem with the spar bouncing and plowing it over. Once I was in the tree, I looked down the line that the tree was leaning, and it happened to be leaning right over that fire hydrant and leaning that way way too much for me. I said no way am I'm going to be able to lever this many tons over and away from the water works. Then I got to work, and lowered everything down piece by piece, so as not to crush the bushes, light pole, and fire hydrant.

I can't believe you guys. You make this tree sound like a lot of fun, but you really can't see every angle of the sichyashun.

DVC00561.jpg

DVC00562.jpg

Those red arrows were the screwy tops I had to get over the light pole by getting the guy to pull them off, and lower them with the big rope. Those picks make it look like hardly anything got done there, but we had to keep things from hitting stuff, so we were constantly doctoring the drops. I also had to make 3 or 4 different points to hang the branches from. Don't get it wrong. I hammered out as much as could be physically mustered by myself given the situation on the ground.

Those "screwy tops" should have been your tower and high T.I.P . I assume you can only climb with a flip line, which is part of the reason this is going to be two day removal for ya. Even if I only had a ford ranger and a crew of midgets this tree wouldn't take me longer then five hours to remove.

Latest posts

Back