How much wood can be dropped on concrete without breaking it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
we know.....we know....we kno......:deadhorse:

Haha, Got it. You caught me just before I was getting ready to post a side by side pic of each from the same job. Just really bugs me about the ID. How can someone take you seriously when you don't know what kind of tree you are removing? Even the mailman and garbage man know what a Torrey is. OK, I am over it!
Jeff :)

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Haha, Got it. You caught me just before I was getting ready to post a side by side pic of each from the same job. Just really bugs me about the ID. How can someone take you seriously when you don't know what kind of tree you are removing? Even the mailman and garbage man know what a Torrey is. OK, I am over it!

Hey Jeffy ever get a job tree is so dead its hard to pin point specific epithet?
I have and customer asks what kind of tree is it and I say dead,very dead tree :monkey:

Rftreeman

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I couldn't tell a torrey from a corn stalk but I've never seen one either, they don't grow around here.....

treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite

Post the picts.

tree MDS
All this time, and we haven't even gotten to the wood vs. concrete part yet?? Can this really be? I am more than a little disappointed to say the least FTA... what does that stand for again? Failure To Appear? Cut the ####ing tree, and post the damn pics already!

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Maybe we should not joke until we find out. I would feel bad if he got hurt.

That's why I am often leery of giving advice. I mean you kind of naturally assume that most guys posting in the commercial forum are working, professional climbers that understand what blocking down a piece of wood means when you mention that.

Really, there is noway to tell someone's skill set by just reading on these forums. I mean there are the guys who have been posting for years, you've seen pics of there work and naturally assume that they know what they are doing or they wouldn't have been successful at running a business or remaining employed as a climber.

I'd feel terrible if someone got hurt doing something I told them to do...

Mikecutstrees

Mikecutstrees

ArboristSite Guru
I'm just glad I'm on the east coast. Iv'e heard you guys have big trees out there but these torry/ stone pine hybrids sound immense.

Seriously the biggest pine we ever did had to be climbed and lowered in a backyard and took me and 3 guys 2 days. 36" dia. 90+ feet tall....

Mike

treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
:
That's why I am often leery of giving advice. I mean you kind of naturally assume that most guys posting in the commercial forum are working, professional climbers that understand what blocking down a piece of wood means when you mention that.

Really, there is noway to tell someone's skill set by just reading on these forums. I mean there are the guys who have been posting for years, you've seen pics of there work and naturally assume that they know what they are doing or they wouldn't have been successful at running a business or remaining employed as a climber.

I'd feel terrible if someone got hurt doing something I told them to do...

:agree2:

I was on the verge of asking him how do you block down big wood but already had suggested that he was asking a question that put him out of the ability to remove this tree.

I didn't want to offend him any more but that question would have revealed everything.

fishercat

fishercat

Addicted to ArboristSite
I agree.

That seems to be the case, I just thought I might add an equally obscure question to give perspective on the original. Howbeit, it seems to have some merit of its own in light of the present timetable.

At least FTA has safety and avoiding property damage at the top of his mind, however short of knowledge. That's a good start, too many don't have that, though groin fluid abounds. A lot more knowledge and a bit more fluid, and he should be fine...someday.

LTX, you crack me up, I like your initial post, I was just waiting for someone to say it as I was reading along. This is a low brow question, no doubt, but at least he asked. Alot of guys would have just found out like tree md's EX-associates.

The best advice that I saw towards FTA was the one about taking a Saturday and the time to put on a show for the neighborhood. Just don't screw up and don't put them to sleep over a four day period.

Alot of times I think the use of our knowledge and abilities frighten HOs, maybe even away. I did a bunch of ROW removals yesterday in a backyard ladened with power lines. The HO watched, but was terrified. What was routine, and relatively safe to me, looked reckless to them.

Some neighborhoods, I might just drop, chip, load and go.

In a ritzy one, I'll often take the extra time, charge for it, and look responsible. They tend to like and will pay for the conservative approach.

Depends on how much common sense per capita, and to a certain extent, how much money. There seems to be a correlation there, but I digress, that is not always the case.

Nevertheless, always safety first.

the fact that he is concerned about the concrete is reassuring.I watch guys around here bomb logs out onto sidewalks and even brand new pavement without a care in the world.I still cannot figure out how they stay in business.

I do give you credit for that FTA.still gonna bust your chops though.:biggrinbounce2:

flushcut

flushcut

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have to know did the job ever get done? The last I saw was the tree still standing and as I remeber it was suppose to be gone over the weekend! Did you break the concrete or what?

Latest posts