How much wood can be dropped on concrete without breaking it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, (reading this thread) the tree is no more.

I've been in a rage over some things with somebody in the area and how that has undermined by business to a degree. I'm not going to explain that at all, but that's why so many days have gone by, and I wasn't going to reply to nothin' :greenchainsaw:

Anyway, the tree was nothing to take down. It was just the time of piecing it down. It's been a 7 hour monkey maze to get it to the ground i.e. safely to the ground. Other than all of the surrounding complications overcasting this contract, I liked the job. I took no less than 6 jobs out of that neighborhood, so I'll be around there for a while.

BTW, there was no concrete broken, and I blocked the spar down on the brush by 10 footers.

Hell of a job. I've got to trim up some big ones tomorrow if I can get all of my shop work done in time this morning. So then I better get some pics.

Jeff, it is a Torrey. I feel bad about my bad call there. I was relying on the old man who is supposed to be my "expert in the field." He knows a lot about trees and horticulture (not tree work tho), but he called this one wrong. Now I have another piece of evidence to try to explain to him that his powers of knowing all are finite. He'll just scoff at me, and let it roll under the bridge. lol

The Stone has 2 needle bunches and the Torrey has 5 needle bunches. This tree had 5 needle bunches.

Jeff, it is a Torrey. I feel bad about my bad call there. I was relying on the old man who is supposed to be my "expert in the field." He knows a lot about trees and horticulture (not tree work tho), but he called this one wrong. Now I have another piece of evidence to try to explain to him that his powers of knowing all are finite. He'll just scoff at me, and let it roll under the bridge. lol

The Stone has 2 needle bunches and the Torrey has 5 needle bunches. This tree had 5 needle bunches.

All is good, Bet it was sappy as heck, huh?
Jeff :)

Of course, and I've been going into the businesses around here with tar on my whole body. Except for the tar factor, I like that smell.

I'll keep a visual of that bark.

So you chunked it out and dropped it on the brush... You know to block it down you would actually need to use one of these pulley looking things called an arborist block right???

trees09010-1.jpg

Anywho, glad all ended well.

I'm guessing that when he said 'blocked down', he meant the size of the chunks he was cutting so that he could control a safe landing for rounds probably about starting at 10" getting to more than 20' and then the trunk wood. Maybe that ' fancy pole' made the bushes inviting.

So you chunked it out and dropped it on the brush... You know to block it down you would actually need to use one of these pulley looking things called an arborist block right???

trees09010-1.jpg

Anywho, glad all ended well.

Ya know ole rope knows how to use one but he won't hardly do so. I just quit liking the crap shook outta me!

Rope, I live for getting the crap shook outa me... I have to admit, hanging big wood still makes my heart go pitter patter... So sue me. The day I loose that feeling is the day I'll give it up... :cheers:

Rope, I live for getting the crap shook outa me... I have to admit, hanging big wood still makes my heart go pitter patter... So sue me. The day I loose that feeling is the day I'll give it up... :cheers:

I am trying to find the appropriate medal for you, I need to check the other drawers, but I will get back.

Oh God, Quick, gimme a shipping address!!! Free shipping!!! Been trying to get rid of him for a few years now!!! LOL.

To tell the truth, my groundy is awesome... Both of them are... Nope make that all three!.

My number one groundy has been with me for three years. He comes from a town in GA about 60 miles where I am from and has been doing ground work for 20 years. I don't have to tell him much on the ropes and sometimes he tells me.

My number two groundy has been with me for 2 years and was Army Airborne. He's new to the tree biz but spent about 20 years jumping out of airplanes. He is very intuitive with ropes. I have to direct him but he automatically knows what I mean when I tell him. He is intuitive about the ropes and I have taken down some large risky trees with just him alone.

Number three groundy is my dad. He has been working ropes with me for 20 years off and on and he still don't get it!!! LOL, Just kidding. My pop's does just fine. As a matter of fact he is the guy usually holding the tag line on the pieces that want to swing back and get me.

My number one guy is really awesome on the ropes tho. I very rarely have to tell him anything, Except to get his ass to work. He knows the ropes and saws and he thinks that's all he's supposed to do. He doesn't like to tote logs or brush. I usually have to tell him that if he don't start moving some wood I'll call someone who can. :D

Oh God, Quick, gimme a shipping address!!! Free shipping!!! Been trying to get rid of him for a few years now!!! LOL.

To tell the truth, my groundy is awesome... Both of them are... Nope make that all three!.

My number one groundy has been with me for three years. He comes from a town in GA about 60 miles where I am from and has been doing ground work for 20 years. I don't have to tell him much on the ropes and sometimes he tells me.

My number two groundy has been with me for 2 years and was Army Airborne. He's new to the tree biz but spent about 20 years jumping out of airplanes. He is very intuitive with ropes. I have to direct him but he automatically knows what I mean when I tell him. He is intuitive about the ropes and I have taken down some large risky trees with just him alone.

Number three groundy is my dad. He has been working ropes with me for 20 years off and on and he still don't get it!!! LOL, Just kidding. My pop's does just fine. As a matter of fact he is the guy usually holding the tag line on the pieces that want to swing back and get me.

My number one guy is really awesome on the ropes tho. I very rarely have to tell him anything, Except to get his ass to work. He knows the ropes and saws and he thinks that's all he's supposed to do. He doesn't like to tote logs or brush. I usually have to tell him that if he don't start moving some wood I'll call someone who can. :D

Lol Ole rope went out on a nightmare job to bid 5 large pines and a dead oak growing out of large ornate deck. I called her tonight and she said she already decided to use a different service, kind of weird deal as I was referred:dizzy: Anyway all this work was on a cliff in the back yard going down to the lake. I asked her just for a feel of where our market is heading the winning bid. This job was bid at 4 hundred per tree with no access and a cliff to work on:rolleyes: I think ole rope needs to look into greener pastures:monkey:

Lol Ole rope went out on a nightmare job to bid 5 large pines and a dead oak growing out of large ornate deck. I called her tonight and she said she already decided to use a different service, kind of weird deal as I was referred:dizzy: Anyway all this work was on a cliff in the back yard going down to the lake. I asked her just for a feel of where our market is heading the winning bid. This job was bid at 4 hundred per tree with no access and a cliff to work on:rolleyes: I think ole rope needs to look into greener pastures:monkey:

Hey brother, you know if you ever really need a top notch groundy to get a specialized job done you can always holler at me. I'm not too far away. If we schedule it, I could take a day or two and give you a hand no problem rope..

scratch one ornate deck.

Do they have insurance? Let me guess. Ah, let me think....no.

It's jobs like that I can walk away from and smile.

You might get a call back yet, though.

Latest posts

Back