How short is too short????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
story of my life haha jk. so i was curious does anybody run a 20'' bar on a stihl 441?? i currently have a 28'' on it and well it cuts ok but after running a 660 i know now that its WAY to slow. i put a 20'' b&c on it once before but the darn chain broke when i was cutting some small rounds. im asking for any advice my grandpa thinks that a 20'' bar is too short for that many cc's but then again out here in the west people will always try to get a way with the biggest bar they can stick on their saw and quite honestly go with a bar that is way to big for thier saw. i know its probably in the search but i havent been on here in a while and its nice conversing with peope. thank you for any advice.

Nothing wrong with a 20" bar on a 441, I keep a 25" bar on mine but will throw a 20 on it occasionally, I think next time I will put a 8 pin rim on it when I put the 20 on'

I have 3 bars for my 7900 (79cc) 15", 20", and 28". I run a 8 pin sproket with the 15" and 20", hey sure do cut like mad like that!

story of my life haha jk. so i was curious does anybody run a 20'' bar on a stihl 441?? i currently have a 28'' on it and well it cuts ok but after running a 660 i know now that its WAY to slow. i put a 20'' b&c on it once before but the darn chain broke when i was cutting some small rounds. im asking for any advice my grandpa thinks that a 20'' bar is too short for that many cc's but then again out here in the west people will always try to get a way with the biggest bar they can stick on their saw and quite honestly go with a bar that is way to big for thier saw. i know its probably in the search but i havent been on here in a while and its nice conversing with peope. thank you for any advice.

I don't own a 441 but I do have a 044 which is a very similar saw and it runs great with a 20" bar and 8 tooth rim. But the size of bar primarily depends on what size of wood you are cutting with it? Now a 044 will also pull a 28" bar just fine as for it being to slow compared to a660 well the 660 is a bigger saw 20 ccs more thats quite a difference. There is no point in running the biggest bar you can if over half the bar is sticking out of the log you're cutting.

I know it's not a 441 but I've got an old 044 10mm saw i bought new, all it's ever ran is a 20 inch bar and an 8 pin rim. Mainly hardwood, if i was in softwood i would probably bump up to a 24 inch and go down to 7 pin rim. Just my opinion Termite

What is too short . Most advocates of short bars don't know how to and have never run a truely Sharp saw . And are on flat ground with small timber .
And it depends how much you like being hunched over like a monkey with a football .
Short bars make my back hurt . A 20" bar is a really short bar .

My 441C is wearing a 20" bar.

Pulls it quite well of course, even through oak and locust, don't seem to have any problems with it.

I'd like to try the 28" ES Light on it one day, but I really don't get into anything big enough for that size bar.

thank you guys for all the comments hell even the getting married early one made me lol :hmm3grin2orange:
i think ill go through baileys and buy a .404 bar thats 20'' and an accompanying chain that way i dont run such a risk of breaking another chain.:rock:

thank you guys for all the comments hell even the getting married early one made me lol :hmm3grin2orange:
i think ill go through baileys and buy a .404 bar thats 20'' and an accompanying chain that way i dont run such a risk of breaking another chain.:rock:

That's what I'm running on my 460. A Stihl 3003 mount 20" .404 it cuts like a dream. It'd be the same for your 441. That's all I used for firewood processing unless I had something huge I had to fire up the 070.

20"24" x 3/8" is pretty much standard setup on the ones that I see around here, all the way up to 95cc. Most of the older timber cutters still run 20"-24" x 3/8" x 8 setup on 90cc saws, the younger ones use 60-80cc with 20"-24" x 3/8 x 7 setup saws. Seems to be mostly a $ thing but also a physique issue as well.

Run what you like, if you are in good enough shape to use a short bar while limbing that is a good thing.

The last 395 I saw was setup with a 20" x 3/8 x 8 and the fellow using it was in his 50s, fairly spry. The 395s are almost always missing the rear handle inserts and the throttle lock/pressence lever on timber cutters saws. One spike on the crankcase and the clutch cover will always be beat.

Tree service folks seem to be more fond of the 441s than the timber cutter, no one reason just seems to be. TCs seem to typically purchase the 460 or 660.

Run what you want the way that you want to.

Last edited:
Regarding cutting speed, obviously, the shorter, the better. For comfort, I have no idea how tall you are, but trial and error will let you know what you want.

I do a decent amount of milling with my saws, and tend to cant the log with one bar & chain, and then slab it with another setup, the shortest possible.

For general use, I like running a McCulloch 7-10a (early 1970's 70cc saw) with a 16" bar. I should mention that I don't live in old growth country by any measure.

For the cutting I do, I sure like a 24" bar on a 70cc saw. Very versatile, and I don't have to stoop so damn much. I'm running 24" bars on my PM700 and 7-10A McCullochs. The 82cc SP-81 with a 32" bar waits in the truck for the bigger stuff, and the 14-20" bars go on the smaller brush saws.

Last edited:
coworker broke the chain on my 390xp with 24"b&c were in middle of nowhere, saw shop is closed for weekend and its 2 hours away, only spare b&c is a 18. felt weird to say the least. but made short work of 16" pine and spruce, better than the 357 backup saw with a 18" b&C

Latest posts

Back