How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for a great thread! I have my first potential cylinder salvage job in a Stihl 026. I like the Xacto mandrel but unfortunately It won't fit in my Dremel. The threads on the blade holder are .187" diameter and the Dremel limit is .125". I may just chuck the whole Xacto knife in the electric drill and have a go at it!

My last question is where can one find the different grits of the Scotchbrite material like the "red" that was used in the video?

Steve

You can find smaller pieces of green scotchbrite in the dish detergent section at the grocery store.gray at autozone or any auto body supply and possibly the paint department at Lowes.

The Grobet brand of foredom tools are good, the motors and flex shafts last like the Foredom brand.
The best hand pieces are Foredom brand. They fit the shafts so swapping hand pieces is easy.

Grobet has a good price on a kit with the foot petal.
Their petal is much more controllable than a Dremal or HF.
It is a USA company.

Foredom is the standard but the Grobet is good too.
My fishing buddy is a jeweler/goldsmith. He has 4 tools hanging on his bench, 2 are Foredoms and 2 Grobets.
He says these 2 brands are the best, the others don't last and are not as smooth.
The foredom hand pieces run smoothest and longer. You need to clean and lube them. The grinding grit eats everything.
The Grobet hand pieces are smooth but tend to wear faster than Foredoms. He says they all wear out due to use and not cleaning them but he is working with them. Just buy a few and when you have a few that need cleaning do them all.

A mount can be made with some 1/2 or 3/4" pipe and a floor flange to bolt it to the wall or bench.
26 to 32" above bench seems to be the norm.
I made a stand out of 3/4" square tubing, about 30" upright with 18" arm off it. A few 20 penny nails bent into hooks to hang the Foredom and handpiece on. The Nail head makes a nice base to weld to the sq. tubing.
I can clamp this to my rolling bench or put it in a vise on the other bench.

For an emory cloth mandrel i use aluminum, alumnabronze, or steel rod. The split rod is an old trick i learned from a machinest buddy long ago.
A plumbers supply has rolls of emory cloth locally.

A foredom tool is great, after using a big die grinder for head porting years ago a foredom is a comfortable precision grinder, polisher, toenail trimmer. Everybody needs one.

Will you guys please have a look at this 266SE cylinder pic, and tell me if it will be "salvageable"? Below the intake port is the worst. The local saw shop mechanic said "no, too much scoring"
If yes, it looks like I'll be shopping for yet another tool, lol. If not.........anybody have a good used 266SE cylinder?

Will you guys please have a look at this 266SE cylinder pic, and tell me if it will be "salvageable"? Below the intake port is the worst. The local saw shop mechanic said "no, too much scoring"
If yes, it looks like I'll be shopping for yet another tool, lol. If not.........anybody have a good used 266SE cylinder?

I would try cleaning it up before I worried about how bad it may be. It is very hard for my finger nails to tell the difference between built up aluminum and scored nicasil. Remove the aluminum then judge. If your pictures are of a cleaned cylinder, you'll probably need another one.

Industrial cleaning supply shops will have a decent assortment of grit specs
and possibly some nice soap/cleaning supplies.
The pads are more likely to be oriented to hand held cleaning or floor buffers,
But local demands will dictate what they stock or order, So it's definitely worth stopping
in if you can.

That jug will clean up easily.

I never use stones in my tools. Diamond embedded burrs are better for the tools.

The RT angle handpieces I use are over 300.00 each.......no way I'm using a stone in those. :laugh:

Hey spoke rider.that one won't be a problem to clean up.would have seen the 028 wb av cylinder I cleaned the other day.it was scored front and back.that has to be the first chrome bore I've been able to save.

Sweet,
Thanks for the input. I just picked up the emery strip and a red scotch brite pad. Need to make a 1/4" madrel to accept the emory strips, for my air die grinder.

Speaking of which.........it seem nobody is using an air die grinder for this process, why? It IS difficult to regulate the speed somewhat, but I plan to run mine on say..... 50psi and see what the rpms are like, and if it's easier to slow down to near idle speed.

What are you guys using to get the carbon out of the cylinder ceiling?

Most of the carbon comes out when you hone with the scotchbrite.at the squish band anyway.in the dome you'l have tov find another method.me.... We'll I just leave it.

Im very thankfull for this site and more so for this thread , and even more so for Randys being here to help , and please not to exclude many others who offer great help and advise , thankyou all yeah ;o)

Latest posts

Back