How to Sell a Saw for Best Price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worth adding extra numbers to title? Eg. 'MS290 not 029 039 MS390' etc?

I find that practice EXTREMELY annoying and offensive, because you're purposely contaminating my search. If I'm looking for an MS390, I get your auction. I want an MS390, not an MS290, yet there's your auction up in my face!

Do what you want, but I refuse to view or bid on auctions that use that tactic, and I hope many others have the same attitude.

I find that practice EXTREMELY annoying and offensive, because you're purposely contaminating my search. If I'm looking for an MS390, I get your auction. I want an MS390, not an MS290, yet there's your auction up in my face!

Do what you want, but I refuse to view or bid on auctions that use that tactic, and I hope many others have the same attitude.

I don't do that to annoy you specifically, I do it to get the most people possible to look at the product I have to sell......it's called marketing. I list the specific saw, like 372XP in the main title and then list any saw that is really close in specs in the second line.....it costs .50 cents and if it brings a few extra sets of eyes onto your item then bang, the price might go up.

I don't do that to annoy you specifically, I do it to get the most people possible to look at the product I have to sell......it's called marketing. I list the specific saw, like 372XP in the main title and then list any saw that is really close in specs in the second line.....it costs .50 cents and if it brings a few extra sets of eyes onto your item then bang, the price might go up.

I never thought of doing that tactic, but yes, it is annoying!

another way to list on ebay is price it at most you would like at
a BUY IT NOW or make an offer.

Use the buyer must pay before purchase to complete the BUY NOW sale option,

If nobody hit the buy now and you recieve an offer that you agree to
you then have the ability to reveiw their ebay history.

take special note of the feedback they have left for others to see if
they are prone to whinning about their purchases.

especialy if they have left someone a razberry. :wink2:

If you're putting it on ebay be very accurate in your description of it or you'll probably get it back and have to refund the buyer his money. Ebay has practically got a zero tolerance thing going on with the sellers right now, it has to be as described and still some buyers aren't happy. Tell exactly what is wrong with it, if anything and tell if it has any blemishes on it even if it's minor. We all want to sell our stuff but we want it to stay sold also.

Be very accurate in your description, so you don't have people complaining or returning saw.

New chain would probably be worth it, if the old chain will work on your new saw hang onto it as a spare. It's amazing how many saws I see on ebay described as "chain 50%, needs a sharpen". To me this says the guy selling the saw has no idea how to sharpen it, and doesn't inspire confidence buying from him!

Put a Buy It Now for a price you would be happy with, or you will likely get several requests for the price to end the auction early anyway!

Put a Buy It Now for a price you would be happy with, or you will likely get several requests for the price to end the auction early anyway!

people that end an auction early to sell have ZERO integrety as far as I am concerned.

If you want your money sooner then use the buy it now or make offer format.

nothing worse than putting a bid on a saw you want and finding out the seller sold it offline cheaper than you would have spent.

I have had guy's ask me to end an auction early and later bid double what their offer was and they still lost.

Here is how I sell saws on Craigslist. I have sold several for close-to-new prices. You will have to wade through the chaff to get to the wheat, and sometimes the serious buyer does not surface for two or three weeks after listing it.

If you are selling a turd, you will get turd prices. You have to make sure it is squeaky clean. I take pictures of a rebuilt saw before I ever run it. You should use all 4 pictures available in the CL ad. I do one of either side of the saw, one with the lid off and a compression gauge, and one of the piston if I can. Take the compression reading cold so it is higher, and state that in the ad. Describe the saw and what you did to get it ready to sell. Tell how many cc's it is, and on an older saw state what might be comparable in todays marketplace. If a horsepower number is known, you should post that also. I try to paint or replace bars. A new bar will sell a saw ALOT quicker if it is a factory one. Save your time if you are considering a Forester bar. Sharpen the chain, and make sure it cuts straight with an old bar (don't want to deface the new one.) Simple things like a new starter cord and bar nuts really help on selling used saws too.

when im looking to buy ill most likly look the other way if its been painted or appears to be clear coated. id rather just buy a cleand well used looking saw thing something hidn under alot of elbow grease and paint and clear

you know the saying paint and caulk make it what it aint

when im looking to buy ill most likly look the other way if its been painted or appears to be clear coated. id rather just buy a cleand well used looking saw thing something hidn under alot of elbow grease and paint and clear

you know the saying paint and caulk make it what it aint

I generally paint my older bars after cleaning off all the rust. It makes it look better, in my opinion. Sometimes my saws sit for a while before I decide to sell them and it's kinda damp in my garage and I don't want to clean the rust twice.

Well, it does depend on the saw and the time of year, but sometimes the best financial option is to break down the saw into parts. With every "runner" I sell, I am reminded that parts are far, far less risky. You just never know what ninny will buy your saw, do whatever he does with it, and call you back with some complaint.
That's good advise Giant. I parted out a sweet 031 that was in dam fine condition a couple weeks ago and made close to double of what I expected to make selling it complete. I took a gamble and it paid off well.

people that end an auction early to sell have ZERO integrety as far as I am concerned.

If you want your money sooner then use the buy it now or make offer format.

nothing worse than putting a bid on a saw you want and finding out the seller sold it offline cheaper than you would have spent.

I have had guy's ask me to end an auction early and later bid double what their offer was and they still lost.
I can't agree with here. I have listed saws before on Ebay and ended the auction early. If someone comes into my shop with cash and the desire to give it to me for a saw I have for sale whether on Ebay or not, the auction just ended. It saves me from having to pack it up and deliver it to my shipper and the chance of having trouble with a trouble making bidder. There's nothing like cash in hand.

I can't agree with here. I have listed saws before on Ebay and ended the auction early. If someone comes into my shop with cash and the desire to give it to me for a saw I have for sale whether on Ebay or not, the auction just ended. It saves me from having to pack it up and deliver it to my shipper and the chance of having trouble with a trouble making bidder. There's nothing like cash in hand.

As long as it is clearly stated in the desription that you will sell it locally when the opportunity arises, thats fine. If it isn't stated in the description, that isn't fair to the people who have already put bids in and are thinking they might own the saw they've been waiting for. My intent has always been to leave an auction up for the full 7 days, no matter what happens I am committed to that. 9 times out of ten, a properly listed saw will bring more money on Eaby than you will get selling locally. Unless of course you own a high traffic shop and have some kind of warrenty on what you sell used.

and exactly like Mossman has stated.

as long as you make it clear as many auctions will say,

ITEM IS LISTED LOCALY AND SUBJECT TO EARLY SALE.

I just like to keep things clear and on the up and up.

bad news travels fast if you like to play crooked.

ebay charges to list an item up front. they still make some money

just like life, some days are good, some days are not so good. :)

Right now they're offering free listings. I got a notice this morning.
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but to get the most money from your saw you have to have major luck also...you have to be posting your ad just at the time someone wants to buy what you have and have the money to pay for it. Again, experience: I sold two Homelite XL12 saws, one better than the other in my opinion, the better one didn't fetch nearly as much as the other. I intended to keep the better one but when I saw what the first one brought I stuck the second one on. I did manage to keep a third one, much better than the other two and a Super XL. I doubt if I put either up this year.
attachment.php
178354d1301687030-xl12-small-jpg

Actually the red one looks better in person..I think I had too much light or something plus I changed the carburetor cover from plastic to metal and painted the cover black, the one pictured has a small hole in it.

Last edited:
On eBay competition from other listings is a factor. If someone, or several people, list the same model of saw as yours in auctions ending after yours with all thing being pretty much equal, you're going receive fewer bids.

On eBay competition from other listings is a factor. If someone, or several people, list the same model of saw as yours in auctions ending after yours with all thing being pretty much equal, you're going receive fewer bids.

From what I've seen the first saws bring the money. I don't know, I just think it's one big crap shoot. Just remember, don't put anything on ebay that you really don't want to get rid of.
The last saw I sold was like that, I wish I'd kept it. Realistically though, how many saws does a person need? I used to be perfectly happy with one.

Latest posts

Back