How to Sell a Saw for Best Price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that the bidding on the first saw slows down when other listings ending later show up. Or maybe I need to pay closer attention :dizzy:.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. If a person is looking for a certain kind of saw they'll hone in on it whether it's the first one or the last. You look at more than the saw, you look at the seller, where he's from, his feedback and other things. Like I said in other posts, the ebay buyers don't always make sense. There are things that help but there isn't a sure way to know what will attract each buyer, they're all different.

One reason I think this way is that a junky, non-running homeowners model Stihl chainsaw will bring over $100 and right next to it will be a beautiful, well taken care of, Poulan 25DA which runs, new bar and chain will bring less than $40! That tells me that they don't know what they're doing.

Last edited:
and exactly like Mossman has stated.

as long as you make it clear as many auctions will say,

ITEM IS LISTED LOCALY AND SUBJECT TO EARLY SALE.

I just like to keep things clear and on the up and up.

bad news travels fast if you like to play crooked.

There are more reasons to end an auction early. I have ended them because I discovered something wrong with the saw.

There are more reasons to end an auction early. I have ended them because I discovered something wrong with the saw.

You don't really need a reason to end an auction early if you've had no bids. You should have a really good reason if you've got a bid or so. I've never ended an auction early which had even 1 bid even though I wanted to, I felt like I was obligated to sell it once someone bid.
In your case you had a good reason..if you'd gone ahead and sold the saw you might have gotten it back.

I have had good luck Mon-Wed.

I've had good success ending my sales on a Tuesday. Heres my reasoning. I'm out cutting and breaking my saw on a Sunday. I tear it apart on Monday after work and finding out what I broke. I'm looking for parts or a new saw on Tuesday.

I've sold a good many saws on the Bay. I always list them as parts, then describe them accurately. If I don't have a lot of time running a saw that I'm selling as list it as running, but I haven't cut with it. Make sure you list return options. I list mine as no returns, but buyer pays return shipping. Also, don't trust that shipping calculator. Just list a price to ship, make it high just in case its sold on the other side of the Rockies, and go with it. Don't try to deal with someone charging actual shipping. It turns into endless e-mails and extra trips to the Post Office. Most people can't read the part in the listing that says," don't pay until I send you an invoice." Also take into account your time and expence buying tape and looking for boxes and styrafoam peanuts. Gas is $3.69 a gallon. Riding back and forth to the Post Office and through the neighborhood on garbage nite looking for boxes adds up. Add that into your sales or you woll not be making any money at this.

Also, I have been fortunate on the scammers part of selling. I've been scammed buying though. I have my Pay Pal at a seperate bank from where I do my main banking. I'm old school when it comes to that. I transfer the money out of Pay Pal as soon as it gets there. Then out of attached bank account. If Ebay wants to pull it because some jerk trys to scam me good luck. Its easy enough to start another Ebay account. My buying comes out of a credit card that has a very good buyer protection plan, that I've made use of more than once.

Good Luck

Good advice JD! Also don't forget to use this tool:
http://labs.ebay.com/erl/demoto/to
Don't forget to include words like the saw's Brand (and don't misspell it!) the word "chainsaw" the model number, etc.
One of the best ways to lose money on an ebay auction is to misspell or omit important words in your header, eBay's search engine won't be able to find it.

can you send me the update link please? This doesn't seem to work...

i sold an 009 stihl a while back on fleabay,,, i added a vid of it starting and running,,ended up getting 200 for it

Latest posts

Back