How's your 2017 firewood coming along?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burning 4 year old oak now. Have 50 cord to hold me over till 2027 with all at least 4 years seasoned when I burn it. Next will be some honey locust when I get it. But I'm kinda in lazy cruise control now. It's a very peaceful feeling being ahead.

I thought I was ahead last year, but I'm expanding my maple syrup operation this year. I'll probably go from using 6-7 cords/year to 12-15.

I'm considering buying a truckload or two of logs to get a jump on it. Might only have to do it one year and then cut my own to keep ahead.

It would be nice to experience that peaceful feeling.

I would like that "peaceful thing" also. Seems being 3 years ahead is not enough for me. I am anxious to get out and split up 3 cords of maple and elm, then buck up the 2 cherries I dragged into the yard (only the small tops in the picture - 2 - 30 ft trunks to left), then mill the better pieces into boards, then go get those 2 dead bur oaks down and stacked. I do have 2 other stacks not pictured below totaling close to 38 cords. Yes, an obsession it is.IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0652.JPG

I think if I reached 5-6 years ahead the pressure would be off. But I'm in no hurry since my wood cutting is most reactionary to whatever the wind, snow, bugs, and beaver provide for me. I can imagine busting it to get a bunch done then a wind storm would come through and bury me in wood again.

There's another 65 acres being cut within the next 3 years adjacent to my cabin and those tops piles will provide plenty more. Lots of maple, birch, and pin oak in there.

Latest posts

Back