Husky 338 or Stihl 200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know Im crossing the line......

Would like to hear opinions on actual users of these two saws. My dealer offered me a 200T w/12" bar for $475.

I can get the 338 from Baileys for $399.

I own both and both are great saws, I favor the 200t but my 338 lightly modded is right there also. That wont help now will it?

Rotax

I was talking to my dealer today about the 192T and he was giving me the hard sell on the 200. He offered me any normal bar(not the E-lite) and the 200T for around 500ish. Good deal, but kind of too much saw for what I do. Are you using this every day ina tree service business? hardcore takedowns or just trimming? If its hevay duty use I'd say the 200T is the industry standard, and worth it for the 475. The 338 is as RR said considered to be right with the 200T. I'd buy the 200, but I bleed orange and grey I think.

Which one will be easier to obtain parts for? Or to have service work done. I have found that saws without a close service shop can be a pain .

I just read the climbing saw thread in the commercial area.

I like the Husky 338, and my dealer has it on sale for $419 cash, but he is dropping Husky, and doesnt know if he will continue to be able to get parts. I dont think I want to have two different dealers to take saws too.....So its looking like the 200T, but Im not 100% sold on it yet.

What about the 338 Baileys has, 45cc!! for $399

Thanks for the link Tree, Ill check that out.

Checked out the auction, I can get a brand new one for $475 w 12" bar out the door. Thats still a big pill to swallow!!!

If you decide on the 200T you will never look back and you will glad that you did. Very awesome saw that was made to work all day.

I vote 200t even though I own both, not nocking baileys, but are'nt thiers the california version with the smog pump, catalytic coverter, oxygen sensors, etc. etc. ?

Rotax

Rotax Robert said:
I vote 200t even though I own both, not nocking baileys, but are'nt thiers the california version with the smog pump, catalytic coverter, oxygen sensors, etc. etc. ?

Rotax

Sorry, I cant answer that.

With a simple muffler mod, both my 335 Cali, and old 335 are lighter and as fast or faster than my 200T with screen removed. And they start and run reliably every day, and last a long time.

Even the first 335 I had, when it would no longer run reliably (actually it never did that very well), still had good compression and no piston/cyl damage.

I use a 200t everyday and love it. I have used the 335 and 338. Both are nice saws, but I bought the 200t for my own personal use. The Huskies don't seem to have the ummph that the 200t has. I have also heard rumors that the huskies tend to require more maintenance than the Stihl, but that is not from personal experience. I went for the 200t and would recommend it to anyone.

Congratulation on your 200T acquisition Casey. I would like to offer you a hand in properly breaking her in. I can guarantee that it would only be broken in on hardwoods, no wimpy softwoods. I'll PM you with my mailing address.
:biggrinbounce2::chainsaw::biggrinbounce2::chainsaw::biggrinbounce2::chainsaw::biggrinbounce2:

CaseyForrest said:
Picked up a 200T tonight. 12" bar, ready to rock.
Was there any doubt that you would own something elese?
When you going to start climbing?
Congrats.

Trim saw. One handed operation. Pull branches with one hand, cut with the other.

Its lighter than the 260, smaller so its easier to get into tight places, etc etc.....

Latest posts

Back